Burning Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I enter my weight on my treadmill, I burn 300 calories in 40 min. doing high intensity intervals...usually up to 6 or 7 for 2-5 min. then back down to 3.5 for another few min. I keep doing this until time is up. By the time I'm done it's a little over 3 miles.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have been frustrated to see others burning more calories doing less but then I have to figure that I am pretty small and pretty fit at this point...therefore to get my heartrate up and stay up I have to work pretty hard. With that said...I cannot reference this but the average is about 90-110 calories per mile. I am down at the 90 cals per mile...my mom would be more like 130 per mile as she is just beginning her journey and can hardly walk up stairs. If it takes me one hour to run 8 miles then I will burn about 720 cals in one hour..but if it takes me that hour to walk 3 miles then I willy get about 300 cals. Your incline will up your burn. Also consider that while I doubt anyone is lying...I know they aren't...they might not have accurate info. A friend of mine has a treadmill that she has never used. I am a runner. She asked me if the calorie reading is accurate. I have found them to be pretty close to my HRM...but only at the gym where the treadmill asks my weight and age etc. So anyway she was super excited when she said she burned 500 cals in 30 minutes at a 4.0-4.5 pace. She is pretty fit herself and while running is very new to her I doubt she burned 500 cals in 30 minutes at that pace...It doesn't match up with the cals per mile formula etc...and she only checked her HR once or twice...I didn't want to discourage her and she is already talking about getting a HRM for Christmas so I will only correct her if she asks again...she doesn't love running so I doubt she will replace all her other DVD's at this time for the huge burn she thought she got...but I will correct her if she starts using the treadmill on a daily basis to burn an imagined 500 cals in 30 minutes.

To burn 500 cals in 30 min at that speed she would have to weigh approx 500 lbs. So, no, I don't think her numbers are accurate.

It sounds like you are in the 55kg range, which would put your calorie number for 8mph right on target.

However, your 3 mph walk calorie burn would be less than 200 per hour. Your "cals/mile" range is only for running speeds, not walking.