Not sure what to think of my situation sort of...

Options
I'm 5'2 and currently weigh 138 pounds. Weekly I fluctuate between 5-7 pounds. I think because of my eating habits. I think i cant keep consistent with eating healthy. My goal weight is 105. I was that 1 year ago but due to being on haldol injections for mental health reasons, I blew up to 143. So I have lost SOME weight. But not much.

I'm 23. Surely 105 cant be unattainable. Right? im still on haldol and another of other meds. Including celexa, topamax, ambien, trazedone, xanax. My psychiatrist just recommends I diet and exercise to lose any weight. I recently, just recently started biking. its too early to see any results.

I'm not a newbie to MFP. I'm also not a newbie to weight loss. I'm 2010 I went from 100 to 180 went I started on Seroquel, which is an antipsychotic medication. I did not know about MFP then. I lost all 80 pounds in 2 years. and kept it off for 1 years until I was forcibly put on this injection (which I actually didnt need) (which I am no longer on thankfully but still on medication).

I think back on all of this and im really upset about my situation and having been through all of this. I think back and think if I hadnt been put through what I was put through I would still be 105 today. Ive never had issues with food like this before and had always been small.

ANYWAY. 105 IS attainable right? I plan on doing an hour of cardio 2-3 times a week. I used to never excersise and didnt actually start until 2 days ago. My calorie deficit when I was smaller was never over 1000 calories. Now its never over 1200 and sometimes still never over 1000. The only thing is I dont eat healthy all the time. Which I need to work on.

Replies

• MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I can't add anything helpful. Just wanted to say that I'm sorry for what you are going through. Those medications!!! The side effects are horrible - and nobody tells you about them! I hope things get better for you. :flowerforyou:
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Actually, topomax should help you to not feel hungry as it is used for a weight loss drug also.

I'm sorry for what you're going through. Although I'm not sure why you want to get down to 105, that seems a little low to me but that's not really my business. You will be more hungry if you are not eating a balanced diet to include a lot of protein and fiber, fat and carbs are not the enemy.

Really, weight loss is 90% diet and 10% exercise. But exercise will help you with your mental health. I would also suggest a weight lifting program to help prevent lean body mass loss. The more muscle we have the more calories we burn throughout the day.

As far as diet, I eat everything I did before but in smaller amounts and I don't allow myself sweets like I did before unless I can fit it into my day and can meet my protein macro. Instead of eating a large pizza at once, I eat maybe three slices, usually two. I don't deprive myself.

You need to lose weight slowly as well to prevent loss of lean body mass. If not you will end up "skinny fat" and still not be happy with the way you look.

Biking is a great place to start! You just have to take eating one day at a time.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Duplicate post
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    105 does seem slim for 5'2" but it depends on your frame I guess. I'm 5'1" and 110 - I don't eat super clean but I do lift heavy(ish) weights a couple times a week and do yoga and cardio occasionally. I'd say your target weight should be whatever you weigh when you're eating sensibly and getting some exercise in whatever form you like. I weigh more than I did in college, but I look better in my clothes, and that's all that matters to me. Maybe you could set a non-scale goal like fitting a certain pair of pants or building up muscles or training for a race or something - then see where the scale lands when you're living a healthy and active life :) Sometimes it's easier to focus on goals like that than worrying constantly about what the scale will say. Best wishes!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Wishing you well! :) And hoping the exercise helps you enough to help with whatever else is going on that necessitates those meds. I use exercise as stress relief as well as fitness. Helps me a lot.

Keep moving forward with the eating and fitness and maybe re-evaluate the 105 goal. It's better to fixate on your health than to use one single number to judge your failure or success by.

There's an "ish" about my goal weight. As I get closer, I rethink why I want to be there. When I started, it sounded good. But I'm more concerned now with how I feel and how my body handles everything i throw at it. than some random number :)

Maybe you associate your past weight of 105 with better times ... maybe on some level you believe if you get back to that weight, the things your struggling with will be gone because they weren't there then.

I have a feeling you can overcome what you're dealing with at ANY weight. You've got the help-seeking behavior and really seem motivated to heal. I would focus on your health and well-being and the role fitness and nutrition plays--just like you've been doing. Try small steps to eating clean and keep on biking and whatever other activities bring you joy (and health)! :)
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2". When I was a little younger than you are now I hovered around 102 pounds. Then I went out into the world of physical work and found that I wasn't very strong.

In order to gain muscle I did need to gain some weight. I had to lift 50 pound bags, which were about half my weight.

Personally, if I were you, which I realize I am not and do not have to deal with the side effects of the med soup that you are on, I would work on losing weight slowly but gaining as much strength and muscle as possible. I wouldn't concentrate so much on an arbitrary number, as you seem to be. Then again, I think muscle is beautiful, much more so than skinny.

I believe that muscle serves you well through your life. I am now in my 60's, have suffered from a condition that causes chronic pain for many decades, but am still relatively strong even though it is really hard for me to exercise properly to build muscle. As you age it becomes harder to maintain muscle, so I feel that you should work at building as much muscle mass as possible.

JMHO, YMMV.