Is it impossible to keep weight off?

Options
I read an article that says that if I want to keep the weight off, I have to obsess about food and exercise, and it really discouraged me. Who has kept the weight off? What do you do to keep it off? I just don't want to gain it all back...

Replies

• Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I don't think that you need to "obsess" about food and exercise to keep weight off.

Once you find an exercise regimen that you enjoy, and learn to eat the foods you enjoy while staying at your calorie goal, there is no "obsession" necessary.

I have maintained a 70 + pound weight loss for over a year, and I'm definitely not obsessed!
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    :happy: If you are trying to keep your weight at a steady place then it is more important to concentrate on exercise than it is on food.
    A daily routine that keeps you fit (it doesn't have to be obsessive) is better and more enjoyable than worrying about what you eat all the time.:bigsmile:
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You need to realize it's a LIFESTYLE change, not a temporary fix.

All these people doing stupid restrictive or fad diets are going to rebound soon or later (usually sooner - immediately)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    :happy: If you are trying to keep your weight at a steady place then it is more important to concentrate on exercise than it is on food.
    A daily routine that keeps you fit (it doesn't have to be obsessive) is better and more enjoyable than worrying about what you eat all the time.:bigsmile:

No.

One actually needs to monitor both to maintain weight - increases in consumed calories or decreases in exercise regime both lead to the same place.

And you don't need to make it a "worry". Tracking and monitoring don't need to be an emotional roller-coaster.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Have a read of this:

http://www.weightymatters.ca/2014/06/more-on-almost-impossible-feat-of.html

8 years later, 11% of participants have kept off more than 15% of their weight.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If "being mindful" of your exercise and food intake now means "obsessing", then yes, it is impossible to keep weight off without obsessing.

However, if you are able to keep track of your food and exercise and ensure you are keeping within maintenance, then no, it is not impossible by any stretch of the word.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not obsessed with the numbers, and I have maintained within a ~3/+3 margin for about a year.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I've maintained my goal weight (after losing 50+ lbs.) for more than half a year now.
    1. To lose the weight, I chose eating and exercise habits that I could sustain over the long haul. No fads. No quick fixes.
    2. I lost the weight slowly, averaging about 3/4 pound per week. I had set my goals on MFP to lose only a half pound per week.
    3. Once I reached my goal weight, the only change I had to make was a slight increase in daily net calorie consumption. Everything else about my eating and exercise remains the same.
    4. I continue to log my food and exercise here. It helps me stay on track.

My weight has yo-yoed for decades. This time, so far, keeping it off is working. Sustainability is my bottom line.
    I post a number-crunching, graph-heavy maintenance update about every 30 days. Links are on my profile page.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    We don't obsess about these things, but we do THINK about them ....... we plan what we eat & how much ...... we plan on getting exercise & how much. I've lost 40 lbs and kept it off for years ...... and there are many people here who've lost way more than that & kept it off as well.

Don't set yourself up for failure before you even begin ...... no excuses, just do it.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Stop obsessing about diets, and make a lifestyle change of watching your calorie intake, and find an exercise program that you like to do. If you lose weight and then go back to your old habits of overheating, it's a no brainier you're going to gain it all back.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've maintained the loss shown on my ticker for two years. During that time, I still weighed myself daily, logged food in MFP daily, and walked regularly, but I wasn't super conscientious about meeting my sugar or calorie goal (which means that I mostly didn't). What I learned during that time is that maintaining isn't all that hard and does not require a fitness obsession. I really just had to be a grown-up about not eating all the chocolate all the time and making time for exercise.

Losing weight is hard. Keeping it off really isn't.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's helpful to call it "obsessive. " I think that in our food culture nowadays, one does need to make an effort to be careful. A passive approach (i.e. just eating what comes one's way) would lead to weight gain for most people.

The same way that in a sunny location a white girl needs to wear sunscreen or get a burn -- in my food environment one must take care to stay at a healthy weight.

Not obsession -- just good sense.
  • gary241069
    Options
    I'm going back on my word here and sticking to my original quote.

Weight loss is only a focus point.
    Health and Fitness is about the what you can achieve for yourself,
    it's about how strong you feel,
    and the ability to feel immune from many illnesses.
    Who cares about what you weigh. If you feel this good
    #
    That's not obsessive -- That's Proud:happy:
  • gary241069
    Options
    /
  • gary241069
    Options
    You need to realize it's a LIFESTYLE change, not a temporary fix.

All these people doing stupid restrictive or fad diets are going to rebound soon or later (usually sooner - immediately)

Total agreement with this
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I read an article that says that if I want to keep the weight off, I have to obsess about food and exercise, and it really discouraged me. Who has kept the weight off? What do you do to keep it off? I just don't want to gain it all back...
    What article is this?

You just need to stay conscious of the foods you choose and understand the consequences of eating too much of anything. I keep my weight off because I choose to track calories in and out. It's all about moderation in food and accountability to myself.
  • itistobeme
    itistobeme Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm with gary241069. And not only a lifestyle, but for a lifetime. The body does change over time, and it's necessary to keep tabs on what's working, basic numbers, how you feel, how clothing fits. And making some adjustments across a lifetime is part of the deal. However, the longer you stay healthy, the easier it is because the habits are engrained. The tastebuds soon prefer the things that make maintenance possible, and exercise becomes just part of what you do. There's a fine line between obsession and commitment. It's easy to get discouraged. Use the community and be proud of yourself for taking responsibility for your health.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's not impossible and it's possible to not be obsessive. You have to be aware of what you eat, focus on a generally healthy lifestyle. I work with a woman who has never been overweight, but she monitors what she eats and she exercises. She and I have run some 5Ks together. I eat without being obsessive and I have the occasional indulgence. You can't just go and eat whatever you want all the time and keep the weight off. You can indulge occasionally, maintain an exercise routine and monitor your intake without obsessing and keep the weight off.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    The biggest change for me was to stop reading pop culture diet and exercise articles
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Obsession? No. Maintaining good habits for life? Yes. If I need a tool like this site to help me maintain my good habits, then so be it. I obviously haven't done very well on my own up to this point. We are worth the effort don't you think?