Likely Cancer diagnosis

For those that have followed my posts, I relatively recently posted about my "adam's apple". I decided to get my thyroid looked at and my doctor luckily trusts me and ordered a bunch of testing (labs and ultrasound).

Turns out that I have multiple very suspicious nodules based on size, irregularity and density. I found out on Friday so now I have to wait to next week to work through all the follow up and next sets of testing.

Anyone have experience with thyroid cancer-I know it is very curable however still a bit scary. I am still under 40 and this will likely be my second different type of cancer (previous skin cancer-multiple basal cells).

Thanks for your support.

Replies

• dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    I don't have any experience with this. I just wanted to offer a hug. :flowerforyou:
  • 1skinnysouthernchick
    1skinnysouthernchick Posts: 24 Member
    I'm sorry to hear that. But will say a prayer and send a hug girlie.
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Thanks for the hugs and support/prayers. It is making staying on track a bit more challenging. The unknown is worse.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    *hugs* the waiting is always the worst. I remember when they were testing me for breast cancer. Sending you lots of hugs and hope it's not cancer x
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    I wish you the best. Keep doin' your best even when you know for sure. Either way, it's about having the happiest and most satisfying life you can regardless of your health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    My cousin had thyroid cancer and weathered it quite well. I think she had at least part of the thyroid removed and had radiation treatments. She now takes synthetic hormones that make up for the missing thyroid. I think the hardest part for her was getting the level of that medication sorted out, with emotional roller-coaster and low energy symptoms until it was adjusted. That was at least 5 years ago, and she's trucking along just fine, now.

Stay strong. You can beat this!
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    My cousin had thyroid cancer and weathered it quite well. I think she had at least part of the thyroid removed and had radiation treatments. She now takes synthetic hormones that make up for the missing thyroid. I think the hardest part for her was getting the level of that medication sorted out, with emotional roller-coaster and low energy symptoms until it was adjusted. That was at least 5 years ago, and she's trucking along just fine, now.

Stay strong. You can beat this!

This is correct. I have several friends who have been through this. Waiting is the hardest part because we don't know what will happen next. Anything you can do to occupy yourself while waiting is good to try to use as a distraction. Hoping and praying for good results for you.
  • Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Im in the UK so not sure if things may be diff to where you are but It was noticed that I had the same, a goiter with multiple nodules. I had a fine needle aspiration and it wasnt cancer. I panicked too, and was scared but please try to think positive.

good luck xx
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    I has tests on a nodule too and it turned out to be non cancerous.. I wish you the best :)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    sorry to hear about that. the good news is that we're miles ahead of where we were with cancer treatment for most cancers than we were just a couple of decades ago, so your prognosis is good if it's a common and curable cancer.

all that said, there are a bunch of cancer survivors on here and many of them have blogged about their experiences. i am not sure if blogs are "searchable" via google, but if so you might be able to find a handful of women who have or are going through the exact same situation as you. if so, you could try sending out a PM.

here's a very simple google search you could try:

"thyroid cancer site:myfitnesspal.com"
  • Straitlover1965
    Straitlover1965 Posts: 39 Member
    I hope that you get a good result form the testing. If not, TC is very treatable.

I know how you feel, though. I was diagnosed w/ breast cancer 11 days ago.
  • CaraRahl
    CaraRahl Posts: 72 Member
    my aunt had surgery to deal with her thyroid cancer. she's been cancer-free ever since (a couple of years now). of course there's been some medication she's had to take to deal with part of her thyroid being gone, but in comparison that's pretty minor. typically thyroid cancer has a good prognosis, especially if caught earlier
  • dogluvr_2014
    dogluvr_2014 Posts: 54 Member
    So sorry you are going through this and I just wanted to send you another hug. God bless you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • CindyArlene
    CindyArlene Posts: 1,289 Member
    I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2010. Actually just had my second round of radiation treatment last month. It is scary at first, mostly because the word cancer makes you think of all kinds of terrible things. But it was actually not that bad. My thyroid was completely removed and I'm on permanent medication now but other than that I'm really healthy. Even the radiation treatment isn't all that bad. You are welcome to message me if you would like to chat more about what to expect :)