Do you consume most of your calories?

Options
Hey all. Just wondering if everyone gets close to their daily caloric intake? I just joined yesterday but had over 600 calories to still consume when I completed my entry. I'm a jogger so I gained calories back from the exercise I did yesterday. I also left work late and got home late and didn't want to go to bed having just eaten, so I just had some fruit. I know better planning on my part will avoid this in the future. Should I get as close as possible to my daily calories so my body won't go in starvation mode? Help! Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• kathyvdh
    kathyvdh Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as you stay at least around 1200 calories per day, you shouldn't have to worry about starvation mode. If I have a really good exercise day, I don't go near the calories it says I could have. I think that is what gives me the most satisfaction from this site. I love it at the end of the day when I click to finish the day and it tells me that if every day were like today, in 5 weeks I would weigh XXX! That is what keeps me motivated.

Kathy
  • dragonfly183
    dragonfly183 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You know, according to this calorie counter thing i can eat over 1800 calories a day since I exercise so much and still loose weight, but I never get anywhere near that. i just don't have a big appetite. yet the fat does not come off any faster :(.
  • insaneteabag
    insaneteabag Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You know, according to this calorie counter thing i can eat over 1800 calories a day since I exercise so much and still loose weight, but I never get anywhere near that. i just don't have a big appetite. yet the fat does not come off any faster :(.

I find this too - why is the fat not melting off quicker when I'm below my calories!
    I started to wonder if maybe it was because I was actually under eating? I'm only hitting my BMR calories so I'm going to (reluctantly) try eating a bit extra for a week and see if that makes any difference. Hopefully I won't put on any weight
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode," as commonly used by dieters, is a myth. But you should try to hit your goal so that you properly fuel your body. Going too low can also cause you to lose more muscle, which I don't think any of us want.

One thing to be aware of: MFP calorie burns can be over-estimated. To counter that, many of us who eat exercise calories back only eat 50-75% of them back.
  • Sam_LJackson
    Sam_LJackson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I never do! Usually 50-200 under what MFP estimates and 400-600 under what MFP + Fitbit estimates.

I have a fitbit and it seems like it's overestimating my activity levels - like Kathy said above, as long as you're over 1200 & under what MFP is estimating you should probably still lose. I think the general consensus is that if you're entering exercise manually, MFP overestimates exercise calories, so you should only eat back half.
  • Sam_LJackson
    Sam_LJackson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    * - also you should eat enough so that you don't feel like you're starving, very important!
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    In regards to eating only at your BMR, yeah, in the long run that's not such a great idea...as I'm sure you know :)
    Your lean muscle mass will decrease due to the lack of sufficient nutrients--hard to get those when you're eating only enough to exist, not moving at all--and your body fat percentage will increase. That's all that skinny fat talk. Your muscle mass lessens, but your fat stores increase, hence the higher fat.

Of course, to lose weight, you want to eat at a deficit, yes, but myfitnesspal builds that deficit for you! Regardless of your additional exercise. So I would suggest eating at the calories that put you at a reasonable enough deficit to lose weight, but not so extreme that you do damage to your body/hinder the progress you want to make.
    Try eating higher calorie foods if you aren't able to eat more volume. Add peanut butter, avocados, nuts, cottage cheese...ice cream, what have you. Foods that are small but pack a calorie punch :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    If I didn't eat all of my goal calories, I'd get a little stabby with people.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

haha same!!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat my calories. I try to only eat half the exercise calories usually.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    every single one! LOL
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Yup.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't consume most of them.... I consume all of them.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP -are you using a food scale to weigh all your foods? You could be overestimating…

and i consume every single last one, or I would be a hungry pain in the *kitten*
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I do consume most of my 1200 calories a day BUT I rarely eat back any exercise calories. I have occasionally if I'm hungry but if I'm not hungry, I don't.

• lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Not bang on but usually pretty close.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »

Yup.

I don't understand people who don't want to eat more. Why would you not want to eat the most food you could whilst still achieving your goals?
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I do TDEE and eat at least within 50 calories of my goal unless I'm trying to "bank" some cals for later.

I see no reason to avoid em' :wink:
    Reevaluate your logging and estimated exercise if you aren't losing like you want to.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I usually come in around 400 calories under what I am allowed on days when I don't work out and usually hit the number I am allowed on workout days or slightly under or over. I rarely eat back any workout calories unless it is a seminar weekend because those do require a great deal more energy than my usual work plus workout day. I have been finding that I feel pretty good eating around 17-1800 most days even though I am allowed 2400. I get a little hungry but not like I want to gnaw my arm off or anything.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    I consume most/all of my sedentary calories (1250).

And I consume some of my exercise calories. I think I've consume them all once or twice in 8 weeks. Most of the time I just consume a small portion of them.