Graveyard Shift - night time workers

Options
keef1972
keef1972 Posts: 411 Member
Hey there. I am a night shift worker: 6pm to 6am.
I've been reading, the night shift is called the "grave-yard for another reason: it sends people to their graves earlier than they should, and mentions all kinds of other health problems, that night workers seem prone.

Is working nights really that harmful....? Is it perhaps, all the junk night time workers eat, that perhaps causes the problems?
I run 5/6 times a week, and have a hard time thinking I am hurting my heart, and increasing my risk of stroke by working nights?
Sure, I sometimes only sleep 5 hrs, which is not the best, but most mornings, I pull off 6.5hrs sleep.

Just curious what everyone thinks......

Replies

• breesie11
    breesie11 Posts: 3,478 Member
    Options
    its probably because it is no un-natural for your body. for me, I have 2 days a week when i am awake for over 24 hours. That isn't good for our bodies. Eating healthy will help, but the lack of sleep that you can never avoid working nights is what does the most harm in my opinion.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    It can be for some folks. Lack of sleep and exercise, unhealthy eating habits, all that can lead to bad things overtime but it's just the same if you were working a regular dayshift job. Can you lose weight, be fit and healthy while working the nightshift? Sure. Is it harder? Yep, but not impossible.