Sugar

Options

Replies

• candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I use raw honey :) I used to have diabetes so I am always careful about my sugar intake even if I do not have it anymore. :) I did some research and raw honey seemed to have the best results. It is a little thicker and not as sweet took me about 3 days to get used to the difference now I love it :)
    Used to have diabetes? How did you cure it?
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I use raw honey :) I used to have diabetes so I am always careful about my sugar intake even if I do not have it anymore. :) I did some research and raw honey seemed to have the best results. It is a little thicker and not as sweet took me about 3 days to get used to the difference now I love it :)

I lost 200 pounds and changed my eating habits :) My daily sugar went from 220 and now sits on average around 80-83 :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    My diary has a slot just for the sugar toxins :/
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I ignore sugar. My macro/micros are being met. *shrugs* and my cookie dough ice cream is delicious
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Dr. Lustig is definitely a wonderful authority on sugar in the average American's diet.
    3b2.gif
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Careful... a lot of MFP peeps get real bent out of shape if you hate on sugar - alot of them are still in the calorie is a calorie camp. FYI some recent studies show that added sugars ( refined by bees or man) without its native fiber component (like fructose in an apple) may effect the body a bit differently than say other carbs and lead to metabolic syndrome. Evidently the fiber mediates the Insulin release and Leptin uptake ( may have that backwards) basically keeping its glycemic index nice and low... very compelling research recently spotlighted by a Dr. Lustig.( you can reference his research by googling him or searching for his you tube video " sugar - the bitter truth. ") I'm still researching his and other works but if you have every been morbidly obese some of his data will make alot of sense. Anyway supposedly 9 teaspoons of added sugar for men per day is acceptable - so I think no matter what camp your in a teaspoon of real honey is a great way to sweeten a beverage or meal.

P.S. Nothing for nothing but people have been a bit aggressive when you suggest that the old fitness adage of a calorie is a calorie might not be 100% correct.

Dr. Lustig is about as credible as Dr. Oz when it comes to presenting scientific data in a fair balanced manner. As well, they are both making money off of their particular brands of 'spin': Dr. Lustig's book and Dr. Oz's various books, shows and endorsements. Here is a good read on the truth of Dr. Lustig's views and flaws behind it from an excellent Dr. and blogger, Alan Argon. http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Enjoy. :smile:

Alan Aragon for president. And im Australian.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Careful... a lot of MFP peeps get real bent out of shape if you hate on sugar - alot of them are still in the calorie is a calorie camp.

Word. That's the sugar talking. So wak.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Careful... a lot of MFP peeps get real bent out of shape if you hate on sugar - alot of them are still in the calorie is a calorie camp.

Word. That's the sugar talking. So wak.

Lol?

Ya, that darn science thing. Thermodynamics is so magical
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I agree about pers. responsibility... however I would like to know if a substance I am ingesting daily is affecting my body differently than we always thought. Human physiology is very complex and the mantra of "a calorie is a calorie" always seemed a bit simplistic. Anyway AHA and the WHO guidelines on ADDED sugars seem reasonable to me - at least people are discussing the components of their diets. That's a step in the right direction. Good Luck.

'A calorie is a calorie' is simply referring to the fact that a calorie a unit of measure, nothing more, nothing less. It does not differentiate between fat, carbohydrate or protein. It the unit of energy that is provided by an amount of food.

Calories in calories out refers to the balance of energy in the body. Too many in and not enough out equals weight gain, etc.

Macros (protein, carbohydrates and fats) are what one pays attention to if they wish to optimize their weight loss results, but not the amount of loss.

Human bodies are complex, but we all operate the same with a few medical exceptions. It's really not complicated, which is why the WHO can come out recommendations that cover pretty much everyone. Whether or not I agree with their recommendations in a whole 'nother story.

People like to complicate things. Why they do is an interesting question and matter of great debate. i suspect it is psychological and perhaps gives people a reason to shirk personal responsibility for failing.

According to the WHO stuff I've read, added sugars is simply a convenience. There is no dietary need outside of calories for carbs, the western diet tends incorporate too many calories and focusing on added sugar is a simple target to these excess calories without becoming knowledgable about all the ins and out of nutrition.
  • balanceandnirvana
    balanceandnirvana Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i believe there are good and bad sugars. Your body processes plant sugars extremely easily and that's why fruits and veggies don't make you gain weight. I haven't experienced weight gain on a diet based off mostly fruits and it's very sugary! I also eat maple syrup on occasion and that doesn't make me gain at all. I'm pretty sure honey won't either because it technically comes from plants but is eaten and regurgitated a bunch by the bee. I don't eat it for ethical reasons
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    i believe there are good and bad sugars. Your body processes plant sugars extremely easily and that's why fruits and veggies don't make you gain weight. I haven't experienced weight gain on a diet based off mostly fruits and it's very sugary! I also eat maple syrup on occasion and that doesn't make me gain at all. I'm pretty sure honey won't either because it technically comes from plants but is eaten and regurgitated a bunch by the bee. I don't eat it for ethical reasons
    ALL sugar is plant sugar, sugar cane is a plant... So are sugar beets. You're making no sense.
  • jordanify
    jordanify Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    when we eat anything sweet it has hormonal effects and increased cravings. I completely cut sugars out of my diet for 6 weeks, and all fruit except an apple a day. Cravings were gone, I felt awesome and now I feel good with only one teaspoon of honey in my daily tea and 2 fruit servings. If you are going to keep eating it I recommend local organic unpasteurized honey...it is far superior to sugar because it is natural.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

No individual foods make people (without medical issues, anyway) gain weight. How would that work?

As someone else noted above, the issue with added sugar according to WHO and the AMA is that in the modern world people increasingly live in societies where they engage in less activity and have high calorie food (and food in general) readily available. One way of dealing with that is to limit foods that have high ratios of calories to nutrients. That's why the recommendations don't apply to fruit or dairy, not some claim that certain sugars are inherently bad apart from the way that they are an easy way to help avoid calorie surpluses in people's diets.

Edit: I didn't even notice the plant sugar thing. So it's lactose that makes you fat and the sugar cane is off the hook?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    when we eat anything sweet it has hormonal effects and increased cravings. I completely cut sugars out of my diet for 6 weeks, and all fruit except an apple a day. Cravings were gone, I felt awesome and now I feel good with only one teaspoon of honey in my daily tea and 2 fruit servings. If you are going to keep eating it I recommend local organic unpasteurized honey...it is far superior to sugar because it is natural.

That's awesome for you.

Sugar doesn't give me cravings or hormonal effects ( what hormonal effects did it give you exactly?) so I will continue on eating it just fine ( within calorie limit , of course)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Why is it more natural? Because the bees do the work instead of humans?

I also don't get cravings from eating something that includes sugar. If it has that effect on you cutting it out might well make sense for you, but it's hardly something that the food itself causes for everyone.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options

I lost 200 pounds and changed my eating habits :) My daily sugar went from 220 and now sits on average around 80-83 :)
    do you think if someone has diabetes but only 60-70lbs to lose they would be able to get rid of the diabetes?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

do you think if someone has diabetes but only 60-70lbs to lose they would be able to get rid of the diabetes?

Depends. If your diabetes is mainly caused by insulin resistance, then it's likely to achieve levels of control where it appears to be "cured" (note, it's not really cured, just managed much better without the need for medications. If the above poster goes back to eating a lot of sugar and gains weight, it will manifest again). If you are insulin dependant, then you are likely to need smaller doses with weight loss and lifestyle modifications and even control it with just medications! Note it's not always the case. Some people are just bound to have diabetes no matter what they do or how thin they get, especially if it's caused by irreversible damage to the insulin producing cells.

In either case, weight loss and lifestyle modifications help tremendously.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options

Depends. If your diabetes is mainly caused by insulin resistance, then it's likely to achieve levels of control where it appears to be "cured" (note, it's not really cured, just managed much better without the need for medications. If the above poster goes back to eating a lot of sugar and gains weight, it will manifest again). If you are insulin dependant, then you are likely to need smaller doses with weight loss and lifestyle modifications and even control it with just medications! Note it's not always the case. Some people are just bound to have diabetes no matter what they do or how thin they get, especially if it's caused by irreversible damage to the insulin producing cells.

In either case, weight loss and lifestyle modifications help tremendously.

You are absolutely right :) I guess cured is the wrong word so i apologize about that. Yes if I revert back It will for sure come abck I have no doubts :) Which is why I always try to be mindful of what I put into my body :) Yougave a lot of great info though and it is spot on :)