Body fat percentage measurement?

Options
_L_A_
_L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
Best free way to do it?

Is the Navy Body Fat Percentage Calculation at all accurate?

There's some scales in my local pharmacy which measure height, weight and body fat % for 70p, are they likely to be accurate?

Anyone want to guess from photos?! Would that even work?! Who knows! It's just for interest as I'm nearly at a weight that is right for me but size wise I'd like to get smaller and make sure I am well shaped, with muscle. Just starting off Stronglifts 5x5 properly on Monday and gradually I'll be upping my calories. I'm aiming for very slow weight loss (until I reach my goal) and a reduction in body fat %, so I'd like to know where I am so I can see if I have progressed.

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    The eat train progress group has a thread for estimating body fat from your progress photos. The individuals who run the group are very experienced and should be able to give you a general idea of where you're at. I actually just posted, cringing as I type!
  • projhex
    projhex Posts: 23
    Options
    Buy some calipers on Amazon and do a skin fold test. Other than that, find a gym that has a BodPod for much more accurate results.

The scales that do the electric test (Withings is the big one) are not very accurate.
  • fredriknetterman
    Options
    The only way you could know for sure is to go to a doctor and get a scan or try out a caliper.
  • _L_A_
    _L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :)

No doctor would scan me just for my own interest! I don't know anywhere with a bodpod unfortunately, I could try get friendly with people at the metabolic research department and find out how to get a go in one but I don't see that happening to be honest!

I could get some callipers, I'll read up on them :)

I think I'll try posting photos on that thread! It'd be interesting to see what my body fat % is estimated by others!