Only One Pound!

Options
Ok ... so I know we are only supposed to lose one pound a week, but I am so disappointed. I thought, usually the first week, people experienced the loss of at least a few pounds. I am not going to give up, though. That one pound is, hopefully, a pound that I will never see or have to worry about again.

I have returned to running, and I'm telling myself that maybe I am gaining some muscle and that is why I only lost a pound. Thanks for listening.

Irene

Replies

• rjgazray
    rjgazray Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on how much weight you have to lose. My goal is 30 pounds and it was slow in the beginning but it was a consistent pound a week or so. Lately it has slowed down a bit and I think it is because I've started running also. Definitely gaining some muscle that I didn't have before which is a good thing! But keep it up! It'll come off. Just keep dedicated and eating right. :) I know it gets frustrating when it doesn't happen faster.
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    that mindset will set you up for failure. I think a big reason that a lot of people drop a larger number their first week is because they were eating SO BAD and had so much sodium, they were regularly carrying around lots of water weight. Maybe you were already somewhat relatively eating healthy and didn't have that big decrease in sodium.

Be proud of that one pound! There will be weeks where you maintain or gain, but you have to be in it for the long haul....not the weekly weigh in.

If you think this could be a problem for you, schedule your weigh in on a monthly basis.
  • mom23kids
    Options
    Don't be disappointed, be excited! It's the start of something GREAT! You will continue to be successful! Congratulations on your loss!
  • AliceMpls
    Options
    Hi there!

Keep in mind that one pound is 3,500 calories so you need a deficit of that many calories over the entire week which isn't easy in itself. Losing 2-3 pounds would be a deficit of 7,000-10,500 over the week, which is pretty impossible to do in a healthy way(unless you lose water weight). Also keep in mind that muscle is built by strength training and not so much by cardio. Even with regular strength training you can't expect to gain more than one pound of muscle per month. Just keep up the good work and the weight will come off slowly but it's all about lifestyle change:)
  • tessa681
    tessa681 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work, its going to fall off before you know it, one day i weighed and no loss the next day I weighed again and it was a 4 lb loss, what a difference a day makes! :wink:
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    If you compare yourself to others, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Somebody will always lose weight faster than you or do things differently. Work on finding your own pace and challenge yourself. You'll see results over time. And if things are too slow for you now, why not change your goals to 2lbs a week?

I only lost one pound my first week. My first month was slow as I gradually built up my cardiovascular system. But I became stronger and had more stamina in my workouts. The second month, the changes started to show more on the scale. Now on my fourth month, the scale's not budging at all, but I'm losing inches.

Expect the unexpected!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    When I first started I wrote on my office calendar my anticipated weight each Monday, losing 2 pounds per week. I then went along for months, working hard, sticking to my food plan, and trying to be as dedicated to my health as possible.

Mid summer I was depressed because I just felt that I wasn't as far along as I should be. I had just gone through a number of weeks where i either hadn't lost anything, or maybe 1/2 a pound at the most. I decided to pull out that calendar and see where I anticipated I would be . . . wouldn't you know it but I was the EXACT weight that I had hoped I would be by then.

Your body will try to hold onto the weight, there will be some weeks you won't lose anything, other weeks you will surprise yourself and lose a few pounds. Basically all you need to do is to be dedicated to being healthier, and do everything toward that goal. The rest will come.

Unfortunately if you are disappointed in yourself after only one week that attitude is setting you up to fail and quit. You need to be kinder to yourself and realize that this journey is not only about losing weight . . . the goal is to not just look good . . . the ultimate goal is to be healthier . . . even if it is not at the weight your originally imagined.

Just the fact that you are utilizing MFP and that you did see results is amazing . . . you did GREAT in your first week! Give yourself a pat on the back because even a partial pound loss is an acomplishment toward your ultimate goal.

Be more patient with yourself and do a happy dance for the results you did get . . . remember part of this journey is attitude so try to always come across with the "glass is 1/2 full" perspective and you will see yourself at your goal in no time.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    If you think this could be a problem for you, schedule your weigh in on a monthly basis.

I agree. That is the reason why I weigh-in once a month. I would get so discouraged weighing weekly if I just saw 1 loss or 1 lbs gain. I couldn't stay on track because the scale was driving my emotions. I would think I busted my butt of for the week with eating right and exercising and I only see 1 lb or sometimes NO loss!!! :sad: :sad:

Put the scale away for at least a month stay focused and on track and you will be pleasantly surprised!!!! :drinker:

Good Luck!!!:flowerforyou:

I am a runner as well. :drinker:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

I agree. That is the reason why I weigh-in once a month. I would get so discouraged weighing weekly if I just saw 1 loss or 1 lbs gain. I couldn't stay on track because the scale was driving my emotions. I would think I busted my butt of for the week with eating right and exercising and I only see 1 lb or sometimes NO loss!!! :sad: :sad:

Put the scale away for at least a month stay focused and on track and you will be pleasantly surprised!!!! :drinker:

And I am the opposite! I weigh in daily. Yes, I do get frustrated by the scale. But, it's a motivator for me and pushes me to stay on track. I'm averaging just over 1lb per week loss. But, i don't always see it each week. Sometimes, the scale doesn't drop for a few weeks and sometimes I'm seeing .2lbs per day... just depends. The goal is to stay consistant and keep at it. Even if the scale doesn't move, you may be losing inches and/or increasing strenght/muscle. And that's just as great in my opinion!
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options

And I am the opposite! I weigh in daily. Yes, I do get frustrated by the scale. But, it's a motivator for me and pushes me to stay on track. I'm averaging just over 1lb per week loss. But, i don't always see it each week. Sometimes, the scale doesn't drop for a few weeks and sometimes I'm seeing .2lbs per day... just depends. The goal is to stay consistant and keep at it. Even if the scale doesn't move, you may be losing inches and/or increasing strenght/muscle. And that's just as great in my opinion!

I'm the one who suggested she weigh monthly, but I also weigh daily. I need the daily motivation. When the scale goes up, it makes me work harder and really focus on EVERYTHING I'm doing.
  • willirenefrazier
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that was a great pick-me-up and some great advice. I think I am going to put that scale away for a month. It will scare me because I usually do weigh daily, but I've got to learn to trust myself. For me, this just isn't about losing weight, but about learning to have confidence in myself and my abilities. I know I can do this.

Thanks again!