Thinking of trying a spin class ......

Options
But I'm carrying a lot of weight and not sure I can do it. Anyone else out there who has tried it? Any info to share?

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I looooovvvvveeeeee Spinning!! It is a great cardio and lower body strengthening workout. Be prepared to sweat and your butt will be entirely sore for a couple of days!!!

It's one of those classes either you love it or hate it. I love it!!!

Try it you'll love it!! :flowerforyou:

100892.png
  • groucherella
    Options
    I LOVE spinning!! I sweat buckets in that class. I've taken spinning at many different locations and they are typically in a dark room, so you don't feel so bad if you need to sit while everyone else is standing and cycling. Also, you can turn your resistance down rather than increasing it if you have to until you're conditioned. Don't be discouraged and just do it!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    make sure to get the shorts with the padding in the booty!!!
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Your butt will hurt like crazy until you get used to it, but it is self paced and you add resistance and can sit or stand at your own pace. Have I mentioned that it burns a billion calories (well maybe not a billion, but more than any other aerobics/cardio class I've ever done including TKB!). Try it then do it again even if you hate it...do it at least 3 times before you throw in the towel. It is hard but so worth it! I hated it the first few times I did it (cause I hate anything I'm not really good at), but now it is one of my favorite all time workouts! Good luck!
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I started spin class when I weighed 260 and my bestie was over 300lbs...you can do it! its so much fun and I LOVE SPIN!!!!!! You should definitely try it.
  • groucherella
    Options
    Your butt will hurt like crazy until you get used to it, but it is self paced and you add resistance and can sit or stand at your own pace. Have I mentioned that it burns a billion calories (well maybe not a billion, but more than any other aerobics/cardio class I've ever done including TKB!). Try it then do it again even if you hate it...do it at least 3 times before you throw in the towel. It is hard but so worth it! I hated it the first few times I did it (cause I hate anything I'm not really good at), but now it is one of my favorite all time workouts! Good luck!

I forgot about the butt pain. Go to walmart or somewhere and buy a padded seat that you can slip on. It is cheap and you'll be thankful!
  • tracybarnhill
    Options
    Depending on how you sit on the seat, your pelvis region will hurt. I can't describe it, but kinda riding a motorcycle for 500 miles, my butt was numb and my pelvic bone was sore.... They tell you it takes a couple of classes to get used to it! Good Luck, like other have said your either love it or hate it!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!

There are a couple of 60-70 year old men in my class :bigsmile:
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!!!!

I started it at 305lbs, now at 291. It has really changed my lower body. I usually NEVER lose on my legs, but I've lost between 3-4 inches off of EACH thigh!!!!!

The first class will be killer, but you will make it. It really has helped my breathing while working out as well!

Yes, your "lady parts" as I call them, will hurt, but after a few times, it will go away.

Just ask your instructor to help you set up your bike correctly to your body (how high/low, near/far the seat and pedals are) and just try to make it through class the first time- don't worry about keeping up!

I'm addicted to spin now and go about 3xs a week! Rock it!
  • ashleysmommy
    Options
    I love spinning! It is really tough at first and if you push yourself it's tough even after you've done it for a while but it is such a good workout and I feel so good after doing it.
  • busymom74
    busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Spin class!

It can be as easy or hard as you make it! Take it easy the first few times so you know what you're capable of though. You don't want to over-do it the first 10 minutes in and have no energy to finish.
    I had been working out for a year before I took spin and it kicked my butt in the best way. Just be sure to pace yourself!
    Your tush will hurt at first but it really gets over it. I took a towel and a BIG rubberband and used that as a cusion since I'm way to cheap to buy a gel seat. :laugh: After about 3 classes your tush doens't even feel it anymore.

Def give it a try!!!!!!!
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    3 is the magic number...after 3 classes you'll start enjoying it!
    Remember this when you wondering why you took a spin class!
  • busymom74
    busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options
    LOL 3 IS the magic number- I missed 3 classes and tried to get right back into it with the same intensity. It didn't go so well. :laugh:
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I just took my first spinning class in seven years on Monday, and I loved it. It kicked my BUTT, and I second what another poster said about your "lady parts" being a little sore afterwards, but it does go away and that's when the big rewards come.
    The trick is making sure you give yourself enough resistence on your bike to get your heart rate up but not to go so hard that after the first song you are spent! The class I go to is 45 minutes long, and some songs are more focused on speed while others are intended to use the resistence to imitate an uphill climb. You spend time standing up, sitting, etc.
    Having control over your resistence is what will make the class personalized so that no matter what fitness level you are, you can participate and get a good workout.

I hope you enjoy it!

edited to add: I don't know about you gym but at mine they have something called "Easy Rider" that is an instructional, slower paced class for beginners to get familiar with the proper form and ways to adjust the bike to the right fit, etc.
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input, this has really helped. I'll definitely try it out. I started using a bike that is positioned the same as the ones in the spin room and it is definitely harder than the other bikes, but I like it. I'll let ya know how it goes! :)