Does it Get Better?

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Okay, so I am horribly out of shape. For the past 2 months I've been doing the C25K jogging program. According to the schedule I'm supposed to be doing a 22-25 minute run, but I can't make it past 12-14 minutes without resting even jogging at a very slow pace. I also recently added the 30 Day Shred to my regimen (I alternate the workouts 5 days a week and take 2 rest days). Honestly it's hard for me to understand how anyone actually enjoys working out because it is sooooo miserable. I'm always proud of myself afterward, but in the moment I feel like I'm going to die. I'm wondering if that ever goes away. I mean, I get that the better shape you're in the more you can tolerate, but you're also supposed to keep moving up the bar so that you keep challenging yourself. So I'm wondering if it's possible I'll ever be able to actually enjoy working out (or at least not feel like I'm dying) and if so how long it usually takes.

Well it certainly is true that the better shape you are in the more you can tolerate and the more proud you will feel of your fitness. That said not going to lie and say its easy or that it doesn't take an a long term time investment.

Going from out of shape to in shape takes years really, not months and certainly not 30 days.

You certainly can enjoy workouts, but it helps to be in shape for them. The most calorically burning thing I ever do is go on long distance backpacking trips (I'm going on one tomorrow) and I enjoy the hell out of those to the point where I am doing them for the enjoyment, not the exercise. Have to find something exercise-like that you enjoy and work towards getting in shape enough to be ABLE to enjoy it.

If you like to run then getting into shape to be able to run is a good idea. If you hate running I'm not sure that is going to change just because you are in better shape. In that case maybe pick something that you actually enjoy doing that requires a certain level of fitness and then work towards that.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Okay, so I am horribly out of shape. For the past 2 months I've been doing the C25K jogging program. According to the schedule I'm supposed to be doing a 22-25 minute run, but I can't make it past 12-14 minutes without resting even jogging at a very slow pace. I also recently added the 30 Day Shred to my regimen (I alternate the workouts 5 days a week and take 2 rest days). Honestly it's hard for me to understand how anyone actually enjoys working out because it is sooooo miserable. I'm always proud of myself afterward, but in the moment I feel like I'm going to die. I'm wondering if that ever goes away. I mean, I get that the better shape you're in the more you can tolerate, but you're also supposed to keep moving up the bar so that you keep challenging yourself. So I'm wondering if it's possible I'll ever be able to actually enjoy working out (or at least not feel like I'm dying) and if so how long it usually takes.

Well it certainly is true that the better shape you are in the more you can tolerate and the more proud you will feel of your fitness. That said not going to lie and say its easy or that it doesn't take an a long term time investment.

Going from out of shape to in shape takes years really, not months and certainly not 30 days.

You certainly can enjoy workouts, but it helps to be in shape for them. The most calorically burning thing I ever do is go on long distance backpacking trips (I'm going on one tomorrow) and I enjoy the hell out of those to the point where I am doing them for the enjoyment, not the exercise. Have to find something exercise-like that you enjoy and work towards getting in shape enough to be ABLE to enjoy it.

If you like to run then getting into shape to be able to run is a good idea. If you hate running I'm not sure that is going to change just because you are in better shape. In that case maybe pick something that you actually enjoy doing that requires a certain level of fitness and then work towards that.

Amen!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    FWIW, I still can't run, even after losing 50lbs. But that's ok, b/c I walk instead. I can easily walk 4-6miles @ 3.8-4.0 mph, so I'm fitter than I was before, and that's all that counts.

Maybe one of these days, I will run, but for now, I'm happy with the results I'm getting for walking and strength training. :happy:
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    I STRONGLY suggest that you allow yourself the time to build a foundation of fitness. Too much too soon is how people get injured and/or give up on exercise.

Interval training of any kind will help you build fitness faster than doing stead state exercise. So a few times a week, warm up with a gentle jog, run as fast as you can for 60 seconds, and then walk to recover for a minute or two. Then repeat. Do this for 20 minutes and then end with gentle jogging again.

It is also a great idea to make SMALL and achievable goals. For example, try adding on 1 minute of running ever third session or something.

Studies show that people who take walking breaks during running sessions end up running LONGER than if they had tried to run non-stop. And the explosive nature of interval training stimulates the heart, making it stronger and more efficient a lot faster than running/working out at the same pace.

You should be pushing yourself during exercise, but not to the point of pure misery. That's just unsustainable.

Good luck!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Running becomes an incredible pleasure after you finish the c25k and continue extending your runs. That's my experience anyway.
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    In the beginning I think that most people find it hard - I know I did :laugh:

I also started running with C25k and it was hard for me to break though to 30min runs. Now I can run for 90mins and do 15k for fun, just 1 year later. It did get better for me and I hope it will for you as well. Don't run too fast but keep pushing yourself. It takes time and many a kilometre on the road to build up running fitness. If you need to repeat a week go ahead. And don't worry if you won't make 5k in 30 mins by the end. That is actually quite a tough goal for a new runner.

I have found I love running as it gets me out and about in the local countryside. I joined a running club and will be entering a few races this year. It is a simple fun hobby that I hope I will be able to carry on for many years! I currently don't plan on getting to serious about the racing, but just want to enjoy my new found fitness and see what I am capable of. It has been a big surprise to realise how much my body seems to like to run, given how inactive I've been the last few years.:tongue:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,640 Member
    I feel the same way a lot of the time (miserable or unhappy while working out), it's hard! What works best for me is to distract myself with either music (if I'm running outside) or netflix if I'm on the treadmill or doing a DVD at home. Also, once you get into a routine of working out and you stop for a few days you will be miserable and long to sweat again! It can be addicting.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Yes it gets better. The more you run, the better you get at running. One day, you'll find the endorphin rush- the runners high- kicks in. You'll find yourself meeting goals and challenges. You may find yourself unable to run for a week of more- and missing it.

Keep at if!
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    I agree with the people telling you to slow down. I know it's tricky, but it does work. I remember that I could actually walk faster than I ran for most of the c25k program.

The other thing that might sound odd is, do you like the location you're running? I'm miserable running on the treadmill (boring) and sidewalks (too many people, hard on the legs) and I usually have to make bargains with myself to keep going. "just to the top of the hill" / "next light post" / "one more minute - you can do anything for one more minute". Now, put me on a path along the lake or running through a park/woods and I'm a happy girl. I feel energized and unstoppable. Maybe a change of location would help you shake things up?

Once I found my rhythm (and admittedly slower pace) I stared to feel better. Use your best judgement if think you need to repeat a week, but remember that it is a progressive program so each week should be challenging. Good luck! If you haven't joined this group already, I highly recommend it. They are always happy to answer questions and offer support. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Not everyone is a runner, my husband is but I really never cared for it. I would strongly suggest you find something you like to do. That's what keeps you doing it. In can be sports like tennis, racquetball or maybe you prefer to workout with others? I am a Jazzerxise addict, and just love it.

But try different things until you find something you enjoy.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    As far as C25K is concerned, you're probably running too fast. Focus on controlling your pace and running as slow as possible. It may seem counterproductive, but you'll be able to run farther and won't feel like death.

This. believe me when i did the C25K running 60 seconds i thought i was going to die, once i realized i needed to slow down it got easier, finishing that program was a big achievement, and i dont like running, i now run 5k 2-3x a week.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    It takes time. I still struggle sometimes to get going, and yes, a lot of the time it is uncomfortable for me, because I have COPD and only 68% or so lung function. It means I have had to push through a lot of workouts I did not enjoy, due to the added effort on my lungs, to get to the level of fitness I am at. I found a love of cycling though, I have always liked walking a lot and I do a lot of boxing training which I also enjoy and which has improved my cardio fitness no end. You could also look into bodyweight exercises... a good book for those is 'Bring It' by Tony Horton who created P90X I believe. There are also a lot of free workouts on sites like fitnessblender which are free and you can do at home, choosing your own difficulty level.

It does get easier, certainly for those with full lung function.
    I tend to say that if I can do it, with my condition (including running for 40-50 minutes with hills... very uncomfortable for me), you can.
    Just keep at it, keep in your mind the end result you would like and use that as your motivation.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Find something that you like doing. Join a kickball team or start lifting. Go on hikes or start trail running. Go swimming or rollerskating. There are a ton of ways to get exercise without being miserable. You just have to find what you like and expand your tastes from there.

This.

Why do a form of exercise that makes you miserable, that's just silly.
  • dewell2
    dewell2 Posts: 36 Member
    Keep at, don't give up and dont be so hard on yourself. I know easier said than done. I started running a few years ago and I still have days that suck but I also have days that are great. One of the things that I started doing is through FB following Runner's World. They are great about giving tips for beginning runners. You probably dont have a strong core built up yet and that is really important. Don't overlook strength training. If you can, purchase some weights. Also pick new places to run. Having a new route is half the battle sometimes. Just know that there are a lot of components to running and it takes time. Good luck.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member

It's totally fine to redo a week or two in C25K if needed - you need to go at a pace you're comfortable with. And I HATED the 30 day shred.

I thoroughly enjoy working out though, it's a matter of finding stuff you enjoy. I love running, but I'm very slow and I walk when I need to. I also do Latin dance videos on YouTube at home - those are lots of fun and the one I do is only 16 minutes - it's a nice, intense, but short work out. I'm taking a jazz class this summer at a dance studio (sorta nervous about that one!). I also really love yoga, and I use free weights to tone my arms.

You need to remember that you don't have to workout to lose weight. It's a way to speed things up, and get in better shape, but it's not required.

You'll find your thing. If you hate doing something, I think you should stop doing it. That's my opinion of course :)
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    I hate running :) I do a couple 5K's here and there to feel accomplished and they are goals I set for myself but I rarely run for fun. Instead I play softball, take a cycling class and do crossfit 4 days a week :) I find those things enjoyable they don't seem like word but they push my body :)
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Girl, find something you enjoy! I've done the 30 Day Shred, and it was miserable for me too. But I've done two programs since that I absolutely love and have enjoyed doing. Maybe jogging and Jillian just aren't your thing. Keep trying new things until you find something you enjoy!
  • LKM54
    LKM54 Posts: 48 Member
    Find workouts that you like. I love working out and like most. I was not built to run and I don't even try. Maybe you are doing the incorrect workout for yourself.
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    I recommend starting with a program called Bikini Body Mommy. Even if you aren't a mommy it's great! It's free on youtube. I would start with her first one and even though you may feel like you are going to die its a great starter work out. I did it for a month before going on to do 30 day shred. Now I'm doing Jillian's 6 wk 6 pack and C25K but I wouldn't have if I wasn't eased into working out with Bikini Body Mommy. Her workouts are great and designed to be 20 min or less so there is no excuse. I'd do that and build yourself up before you push too hard and decide working out isn't for you. :wink:
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    What did you enjoy doing when you were young? I swim because that's what I loved growing up. Anything you do will be trying at times. Push through it. You can do this it just takes time and effort.
    I am starting the 30 day shred tomorrow. Not sure if I will enjoy it but I must challenge myself.
    Good luck to you!