Suggestions: I'd like to get a HRM

Options
Does anyone have suggestions for a good watch/bracelet type HRM that displays calories burned during a workout? I've seen a lot about the Polar FT4 but I'd like to hear what you guys think

Replies

• kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just bought one that blue-tooths to my I-phone - very nice! I started out just using it for the calories but it evolved into tracking my rate on digifit and using it to modify workouts. My is a Wahoo blue HR. Have'nt seen the polar yet - hope it works for you.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    the polar FT4 is probably among the most popular, highly rated HRMs around, and it can give you a general calorie burn but it doesn't take fitness / body fat into account. i believe - and i could be wrong - that the FT60 has a fairly accurate fitness test, and if it takes that into account, it could give a more accurate count.

if you get the polar H6 or H7, you could use it with an app, and some of the apps may be more accurate. but if you only want a watch type, i guess those wouldn't work for you.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT4 is a common suggestion here on MFP... but I like to think that there are other brands which are just as good if not better... I don't quite like the design of the FT4; so I went with a Suunto M5.

I think that the Suunto M Series HRM's are very good, there are: M1 M2 M5 in male and female fittings.

The M1 is just a plain black HRM, with a strap which is not adjustable. They work just as well as the M5, but the strap isn't as comfortable. I don't think they're good to use as a watch too, because they do not feature a backlight - which will be handy in the dark!

The M2 is just the same as the M1, apart from its white and black. No backlight as the M1, and the strap is more comfortable as it can be adjusted and is elasticated.

The M3 doesn't exist, the M4 was discontinued.

The M5 on the other hand! This comes in female and male fittings; the female fittings have smaller wrist straps and the male variations have larger straps. These ALL feature a backlight, and the elasticated HR strap, I used an M5 and I love it. Also, the M5 allows you to save your workouts up to 4 weeks.

With the M5, you can see your average and current HR whilst working out, calories burned and the time. It also tells you how hard you should go for each workout - but I don't usually follow it because I do insanity.

The M5 is more pricey than the FT4, but I think it's worth every penny.
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    There are a lot of decent HRMs out there. If you want Bluetooth for smartphone app connectivity, the Polar H7, Wahoo Blue, 4iiii Viiiiva are some of the better chest strap versions. I just got a Scosche Rhythm+ which is optical and goes around the arm. Been testing it this weekend and I like it a lot.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT4 last week. I like it. It's easy to use, easy to care for.
    The only part I don't like is that you can't link it to anything. So if you use the polarpersonaltrainer site you have to manually add your workouts. (the polarpersonaltrainer is totally optional to use).
    If/when the time comes where it stops working/breaks or w/e I will opt for something that I can actually link with an app and their website.