what's so bad about tinned soup?

i see tinned soup on every single 'foods to avoid' list and i can't understand why it's so bad. I know it's not the most nutritious food but i'd pick a heinz vegetable soup over fast food.
Is it really that bad?

Replies

• tx_mom72
    tx_mom72 Posts: 96
    I think mostly because of the high sodium level. But I still have my Progresso soups for an easy lunch in a pinch! :smile:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    there's nothing wrong with it. Also, I would avoid lists of food to be avoided... if you're in calorie deficit (i.e. hitting your calorie goal) and you're getting enough protein and moderate amounts of fat and carbohdrate, and enough vitamins, minerals and fibre, then there's no food that's going to undo all the nutrition you're getting from somewhere else, and won't stop you losing fat so long as it doesn't put you over your calorie goal.

Tinned fruit and vegetables are not as nutritious as fresh as the tinning process involves them being heated to high enough temperatures to destroy some of the vitamins... tinned veggies tend to be high in sodium so if you have to watch sodium levels that may be an issue, but if you're getting fresh fruit and veg in your diet then some tinned food as well won't hurt you.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    They are usually crazy high in sodium, but yes, I would choose it over fast food.
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    I have a Heinz minted lamb big soup in my cupboard as an emergency meal, it's filling and is easy, I don't have them every day more like a every 6 weeks. It's better than me raiding the cupboards.
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Because of the sodium. I am sure its better than eating mcdonalds but its not as good as if you made something home made.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Food snobbery for the most part. Salt isn't all that bad, if you like that soup then have at it and watch your calories.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I have a Heinz minted lamb big soup in my cupboard as an emergency meal, it's filling and is easy, I don't have them every day more like a every 6 weeks. It's better than me raiding the cupboards.

oh my days I've been out of the UK too long... I didn't even know this soup existed!

*notes it on the "must try" list*
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Other than the high salt nothing, it's just more fear mongering by so called "experts".
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Salt, 'hidden' sugar and MSG.