As it Gets Harder, You Must Get Easier

Options
Years ago, I found myself in the same place I am today: struggling to make peace with my body while also working toward its improvement. I found some writings of mine about striving under difficult circumstances. When things are hard, and one feels so weak and discouraged, how to keep on keeping on?

I found that answer in a book I had about fitness. The author, a world class runner, went to Africa to train with the Kenyans. He was brought to the very edge of his endurance, and...well, I'll just let him say it:

"The Kenyan runners are the best in the world. How do these tranquil people from a tiny nation dominate the sport of running worldwide? Much of it has to do with genetics, running great lengths as children, and living in a country that treasures its runners. But there's something bigger--something we can all learn from the Kenyans: they increase their composure as the intensity heightens.

"I decided to train with the Kenyans in order to bring my running to the highest possible level. For the first five days I was an outsider, and the Kenyans did little to help me through the mind-numbingly difficult workouts. They ran, and if I fell behind, tough luck. It wasn't until the sixth day of training that they opened up and revealed their secrets about athletic performance. What took them hundreds of thousands of miles and generations to learn, I had to *earn*. And to do that, I had to run with them. Twenty-two miles a day. In the hills. And *fast*. .

"In the middle of a particularly tough climb, I began to heave from the pain of the effort. I remember pain running so deep, my eyes began to cross. One of the Kenyans leaned over and said, 'As it gets harder, you need to get easier.'"

Then, and now, this spoke to me After I read it, I carried it with me everywhere I went, in everything I did. I softened, softened. I loosened my mind and my body. I became less afraid to feel the intensity of my discomfort--physical, emotional, whatever--and instead stepped right into the center of it and just let it suffuse me, or sit there, or do whatever it would do. Sometimes, it was agony. Sometimes, it began to melt away, just like the nightmare figures I confronted in my dreams. I practice things, like I practiced cursive writing in the third grade or playing the flute when I was 7 or learning to ride a bike again when I was 23. I will practice running like the Kenyans. I'll probably mess up a lot, as I always do. I'll react out of pain and fear. I'll take to my bed and get paralyzed for a spell. I'll make the same old mistakes I make year after year after year. But I will, as an old friend once said to me, remain in motion, remain in light.

Replies

• Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Beautifully written and expressed.....

Thank you for sharing :heart:
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I would like to say more, but I'm on my way out, so I'll leave it at thanks for such inspiring words. :)
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for reading!
  • projhex
    projhex Posts: 23
    Options
    Sounds like the famous Greg LeMond cycling quote, "It never gets easier, you just go faster."
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Nice read, thanks
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    final-thats-what-she-said.gif?w=680

She also said this was awesome. Thanks for posting!
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    IN!
  • _Thriving_
    _Thriving_ Posts: 29
    Options
    beautiful!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    The post wins!

:flowerforyou:
  • milmomto2
    milmomto2 Posts: 84
    Options
    I definitely needed to read this right now. At this time. In this space. Thank you.
  • jahzbuttafly
    jahzbuttafly Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Very wise words, thank you for lightening my day! I will try to take this with me as I begin my 5k training (again):smile: .
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I -NEEDED- this. Been going through a tough time emotionally lately, and exercise has been the only thing I've felt like I can control. I will just let the emotions come and then melt away. :)
  • awesome_ani
    Options
    This is just wonderful, and so apropos. Thank you for sharing this.
    Ani
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    That is frickin awesome! Love it! Thanks for sharing.
  • tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Very cool
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you everyone! The concept is so important to me and I wanted to share it in case it resonated with others.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thanks for sharing!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    "In the middle of a particularly tough climb, I began to heave from the pain of the effort. I remember pain running so deep, my eyes began to cross. One of the Kenyans leaned over and said, 'As it gets harder, you need to get easier.'"
    As I meditated on this, I found a contrary point--pain usually tells us something!

That pan on the stove is hot! It was only a month ago or so that I developed minor wrist pain. I decided to avoid wrist-intensive exercises like push-ups, but kept pushing for PRs in other areas. Wrong move! I've now been in a brace for three weeks and frustratingly incapable of most resistance training.

So don't ignore pain. But, don't exaggerate it either--

"I was in so much more pain than the Kenyans, and it wasn't because they were that much fitter than me. It was almost as if my mind were 'creating' more pain and effort than there really was. Have you ever done that? You're doing something that's stressful, like paying bills, and your mind makes the process *feel* a whole lot worse than it is. My experience with the Kenyans was the physical equivalent of paying the bills. I was getting far more stressed out than I need to be."

Wise oedipa_maas says "I softened, softened. I loosened my mind and my body"

I starting playing the guitar. Four hours in, my fingers bloody ache! I will listen to my fingers. I will make my best call whether to continue. But if I do push on, then I will soften, soften, loosen my mind and body.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    This is perfect for me...right now. Thank you so much for posting this.