Losing weight on Keto diet

Options
Hello, good evening.

I am currently trying to lose 11lbs, my current weight is 138lbs and I am 5'4. I lead a sedentary life, I'm a fulltime illustrator and I do not have time to work out (working 16 hours a day)

I want to start a diet that consists only in fatty foods and protein, and some green vegetables.

The question is: Am I allowed to eat as much as I want of those foods and still lose weight or should I focus on a deficit anyways? I have seen some people saying calories don't matter when you're doing Keto, but I want to be sure before I start.

Cheers!

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald (author of the ketogenic diet book) will tell you that energy balance is the primary factor in weight gain/loss.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The people who say calories don't matter are almost certainly trying to say that the satiating nature of a keto diet may allow you to achieve a caloric deficit without tracking calories. If you overeat on a keto diet, you shouldn't expect to lose weight on a keto diet.
  • RatRaceOne
    RatRaceOne Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    No, you can't just eat as much as you'd like. However, until the effects of eating a more satiating diet kicks in, feel free to eat keto friendly foods until you're full (this can be as short as several days, or up to a few weeks' time.) Eventually, your appetite will wane and you'll develop a natural caloric deficit, which is paramount to consistent weight loss.
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just because you're on the keto diet doesn't change the fact that at the end of the day it's about calories IN vs. calories OUT (unless of course you have a contributing medical condition).

Keep an accurate food diary and you'll be able to have a realistic snapshot of your caloric deficit!
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Since starting Keto 8 or 9 days ago I've had trouble meeting my calories every day I'm so full! I think that's the point. People who were used to binging on carbs like myself lose the desire to do so with so much satiating fat.

I'm only a few pounds away from my goal weight and was having a terrible time even maintaining on my old diet. Keto has been great.

But yeah, ultimately, it's still CICO, just easier this way.
  • staceybrnan
    Options
    Like everyone has mentioned, you still need a calorie deficit in order to lose weight on keto. The amount of fat you have to eat on the keto diet, though, will keep you full making it easier to keep the calories low =) Good luck! I'm loving my keto journey.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Since starting Keto 8 or 9 days ago I've had trouble meeting my calories every day I'm so full! I think that's the point. People who were used to binging on carbs like myself lose the desire to do so with so much satiating fat.

I'm only a few pounds away from my goal weight and was having a terrible time even maintaining on my old diet. Keto has been great.

But yeah, ultimately, it's still CICO, just easier this way.
    Yes had the same experience so full not being able eat anymore. I suppose rdv reccomend daily value calories isNOT what works for everyone one size doesnt fit all i suppose when my body says im full im full in keto
  • cheneyalva
    Options
    I am in my third week of keto and my basically I'm sticking to 5% carbs, 25% proteins, and 70% fat. These are the calculations that the keto calculator gave me in the beginning and you adjust the amounts and deficits as you please. Here is the link for the calculator http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/