new to weight lifting... Help needed!

Options
Hey y'all!

I want to start building muscle by doing some strength training at the gym, but am unsure where to start. I can't afford a trainer.

Do y'all know of any books and/or apps that would help me build a program. Think beginner..... very beginner! :D

Thanks in advance for you help!

Replies

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If you want barbell exercise you can't beat the Starting Strength book by Mark Rippetoe. You can use his program or any other beginner lifting program but his book goes into serious detail.

Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts
    New Rules of Lifting

Others will have more I am sure.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    By your title, I almost thought you were stuck under the bar having attempted a bench press!

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Instructions.html

Read through that, then follow the instructions mainly at the top.
    Beginner full-body of course, unless limited by time, then 2-day split.
  • jghayes8
    jghayes8 Posts: 14
    Options
    Look into the Body Beast program from Beachbody. You can either buy the video from them out go online and find the workout sheets and then get you tube videos on how to do the movements. I found a website called Dumbbells and Diapers where they show you how to do all the movements. For you it would be good because she works out with her toddler. I am doing her hybrid workout which combines Body Beast and T25. It is a long workout but very effective. Also you can do the workout at home with just a set of dumbbells. I have shown real good results with this approach and it is not too intimidating.

Good luck
    J
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    There is a lot on youtube. Stay away from channels that promise shortcuts, easy, or etc. Results. I bought athlean-x and it is the best (just completed my 90 days) anyways (there is a athlean-xx for women too) have lots of free videos on youtube.

Scott Herman fitness is another that has free info. Etc
  • VeLisaraptor13
    VeLisaraptor13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I bought The New Rules of Lifting. I've had a good read and I'm starting the program today, it's easy to understand and I'm feeling pretty confident about it.