Portable Protein Powder/Oat Recipe

Options
1992Leigh1992
1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
So I often like to add protein powder to a warm bowl of oats and eat it out of a bowl as a thick-pudding like substance, sometimes with fruit on top. It is my favourite thing to have for braekfast.

Over the next three weeks I will be working early mornings. I have been reading recipes for protein brownies, cakes, breads, bars, ect. But many of them require peanut butter (which I am not a fan of), coconut flour or a food processor.

I was wondering if anyone has any good recipes using protein powder (they can be baking or non-baking) and oats that I would be able to cook, wrap and take with me. Can be sweet or savory. Just something that isn't liquid and doesn't require constant refrigerating.

I would also like some advice on how interchangeable the protein powders are. I use soy protein powder (Figure) and many recipes list 'Whey protein' or 'Hemp protein'. So I am wondering whether or not it will change the cooking process.

Replies

• Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    So I don't have specific recipes for you but I DO know that whey makes things super fluffy when mixing with liquid so may have a similar effect baking? I make my vega one shakes the same way as my familys whey shakes (they can't handle the veggie protein taste) and theirs is always fluffier/thicker so I would think maybe the whey may help hold things together more?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    checkout www.proteinpow.com Plenty of things on there :smile:
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You could try whirring the oats in a blender to a flour-like consistency and then mixing the protein powder, oat flour and water enough to form simple bars. I made some with coconut flour, chocolate protein powder, cocoa powder, peanut butter and stevia powder yesterday, my version of homemade Quest bars (google that for more ideas). They were a bit sticky, but I wrapped them individually and froze the lot, so I can grab one on the way to work in the morning. Experiment with the ingredients you like ;)
  • 1992Leigh1992
    1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I have been looking at this site. Do you think this recipe http://proteinpow.com/2014/06/caramel-protein-cake.html would work with soy protein and without the dates?
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I modified a protein breakfast cake recipe recently on my blog (http://medschoolmealprep.weebly.com/home/protein-breakfast-cake), if you prefer to use oats you can grind oats in a food processor to make oat flour and use that in place of the almond flour and flax meal. I found that casein and whey bake the best; that being said I haven't really experimented too much with other protein powder types. I eat this on the go all the time, it's delicious and when paired with almond butter keeps me full for hours!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

I have been looking at this site. Do you think this recipe http://proteinpow.com/2014/06/caramel-protein-cake.html would work with soy protein and without the dates?

Dates are normally for sweetness but you'll probably have to add a little bit extra protein powder or flour to compensate.

I've never used anything except whey and casein sorry. Theoretically, should be ok. Have a crack :smile: