vacation nightmare

Options
I'm leaving for Navy boot camp in about 2 weeks so I went yo go visit family in another state. Since its a vacation I've been not really caring what I eat and not really exercising as much as I probably should. Now, I know its my choice and everything to act this way, but now I'm feeling anxious. I don't wanna gain any of the 80 lbs I lost over the last 2 years, but I do wanna enjoy the time and good eats with my family. Should I stop obsessing or should I be more careful? Cause I did eat a cookie as big as my head and ice cream and pie all in the same day... I'm 5'8" and about 130lbs, 18 years of age. Let me know what you think.

Replies

• sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    You should be able to eat enjoyable foods and still meet your calorie goals as long as you don't get ridiculous about it. Look up IIFYM and use a TDEE calculator to figure out your maintenance calorie requirement. If you want to stay your current weight, then eat the number the TDEE gives you. If you want to lose weight, eat 500 calories less than that number. That's all there is to it.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Just eat less of the good eats and you'll be fine.

Remember it's calories in versus calories out. Don't obsess about it.
  • elizadespizer
    Options
    Thanks, I set my exercise on active because we're walking around a lot and doing activities together. Some days are more than others. I guess I should put it at lightly active. I'll deff be safe with that. Thanks again xD
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    You should be able to enjoy the foods you love. I eat ice cream, cookies, whatever I want, and usually can fit in my macros. Even if the treat doesn't fit once in a while, it's fine. I'm similar stats to you, 5"8 135 lbs, but double your age :-)
  • AdventureManatee
    AdventureManatee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    To gain back the 80 pounds in two weeks you would need to eat 20,000 calories a day. ;)

I don't think that eating a giant cookie and a bunch of other yummy junk is going to undo your progress. Drink a lot of water to stay full, try to be active/moving around a lot, and don't eat if you're full, unless it's ice cream. <3

Boot camp will probably un-do any weight you gain during vacation right?
  • bald_navy_wife
    bald_navy_wife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    as long as you don't go over the navy's weight requirements you should be fine. just eat at maintenance that way you're able to enjoy without any gain
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You are in excellent shape and will not gain a lot of weight if you enjoy yourself and eat reasonable portion sizes.

Log your food if it makes you less anxious. I always do because then I don't have to worry about what I 'might' have done.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Eat the cookie. Then while at Boot Camp, you can think lovingly of that cookie as you fight to stay awake after weeks of hard work and sleep deprivation. :wink:

I think it's awesome that you're going into the Navy. What rating are you going for? It's been a long, long, LONG time since I was at Boot Camp (as in, you weren't even born yet). Thank you for choosing to serve. :smile:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you do. Navy boot camp will sort it out once you get there..
  • freakhazerd2424
    freakhazerd2424 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I say eat as much as you want. You will loose whatever you gain in boot camp. This is your last 2 weeks of freedom until your in the military. Enjoy it now during boot camp you may wish you indulged before hand
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm leaving for Navy boot camp in about 2 weeks so I went yo go visit family in another state. Since its a vacation I've been not really caring what I eat and not really exercising as much as I probably should. Now, I know its my choice and everything to act this way, but now I'm feeling anxious. I don't wanna gain any of the 80 lbs I lost over the last 2 years, but I do wanna enjoy the time and good eats with my family. Should I stop obsessing or should I be more careful? Cause I did eat a cookie as big as my head and ice cream and pie all in the same day... I'm 5'8" and about 130lbs, 18 years of age. Let me know what you think.

Boot camp will burn it off of you. I was 120lbs and 18 when I enlisted in the Army. Without fail everyone in my platoon lost between 10-20 pounds during the 8 weeks. I lost 12, and I was in pretty good shape to begin with (and went from a size 6 to a 2 because of all the damn pushups). At 5'8", and 130, you are well below the maximum of 170lbs. I don't think you will gain 40lbs in the next 2 weeks.

I'm not saying eat cookies as big as your head at every meal, but I wouldn't sweat it at this stage of the game.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Just don't worry about it and don't obsess about it. Enjoy the time with your family and enjoy the foods and activities you want within reason. I am not saying to totally go all out and overdo it with eating but. A week or so of more calories and/or treats isn't going to all of a sudden put 80 lbs back on you! Example - I went on a two week island vacation with my hubs and we stayed at an all inclusive place. Do you think I honestly cared much about what I was consuming? There was no way I was not going to enjoy the wonderful bounty of fresh fruits, vegetables, seafood, meats and yup, desserts and sweets while being in a foreign country! I literally threw caution to the wind and oddly enough, for the most part I made the right choices. Pretty much everything I had was extremely healthy but I did go over my calorie target almost every day. I didn't track it... but I just knew. Guess what, I only gained about 3 pounds as a result and I do believe it was the alcohol LOL! After about a week I was back to normal

Good luck in boot camp and thanks for your service!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I would strike a balance, as it seems like you're settling into already. Enjoy some treats, but try to stay within your calorie allotment. While bootcamp may be challenging and help you drop weight, it will be good to hit it strong and fit; and for me, a couple of weeks of going completely off rails would leave me less prepared. (Even a day of junky eating can affect later workouts, so I do try to stay mindful of fueling my body appropriately for what I'll ask of it later.)
  • RosanaRosanaDana
    RosanaRosanaDana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I say be careful. You know how easily those pounds can creep back up if you're not. Have fun, eat what you want but by now you know what you should and shouldn't eat so make smart choices. You know what they are. Don't over do it, everything in moderation. Have a cookie or the ice cream or the pie or cake but don't have it all, not all in the same day.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    In the middle. I went nuts at Jazz Fest in NOLA a couple months back and I have an extra 6 pounds that REFUSE to budge. Even though I'm back to my old routine. Enjoy...but don't go bonkers...it can bite you in the butt.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Slipping back into bad habits is not a good idea. You will regret it when vacation is over. Eat healthy and be proud of what you have done already. Vacation should be having fun with your family/friends not a overeating session.

With that said an occasional treat is fine if you include it in your maintenance plan. Have a fantastic vacation :)
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Enjoy a few goodies but be mindful and try to stop after one cookie or a SMALL ice cream, not the triple-scoop double fudge sundae with extra whipped cream (unless you got up and ran ten miles while your family was still asleep). Life is too short to pass on the ice cream and cookies altogether. You're about to go to boot camp, so if you manage to gain a couple of pounds, I imagine you'll lose them again fast.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It is possible to be mindful of what you're eating and get in a little exercise without obsessing...you can still enjoy yourself too. It's not an all or nothing proposition. This is kind of where proper portion control comes into play.

I have been maintaining for over a year without logging...I can assure you that in order to do this I have to be mindful of what I consume both in terms of quality and quantity...but I obsess about nothing.

Find some balance.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I spent last weekend with my sister and came back four pounds heavier, which was very dis-heartening.

If it's possible to eat healthy while, do it.

Right now I'm so upset about the gain I'm almost thinking of canceling our next get together, which is downright rotten to cancel a visit because you can't maintain weight around family, but family will do that too you.

Sometimes you have no other option than to eat what they eat, or not eat at all.

My beloved sister literally lives over an hour away from a grocery store.

I think I'll continue to visit, but holy mother of the gods on Asgard NOT WITHOUT AN ICE CHEST OF ASA FOOD!