Anemia

Options
Hi - I was wondering if anyone has any tips for managing anaemia? I've got a supplement but I'm trying to do it via food. I try to eat mainly vegetarian/vegan.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hi - I was wondering if anyone has any tips for managing anaemia? I've got a supplement but I'm trying to do it via food. I try to eat mainly vegetarian/vegan.
    Go for iron rich foods such as leafy greens and beans, seeds. Also be sure you get enough Vitamin C as that aids Iron absorption. Iron absorption is actually far less absorbed from plant sources than meat sources though Vegans do not have higher levels of anaemia in most studies the rate of anaemia in the Vegan population is the same as those that consume meat.

Also to add MFPs tracking of iron is not very accurate due to a lot of database entries not including it this is die to human error and the fact that in most countries iron content does not have to legally be included on food packaging

This is a useful link

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/iron-for-vegetarians/
  • ancurtis
    ancurtis Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I battle with anemia; yucky stuff. I take a supplement with a vitamin C twice daily. I eat as many iron rich foods as I can. If you are a grit eater, they are excellent sources of iron. Many cold cereals are as well. I eat leafy green veggies as often as I can. Hang in there! The anemia tired is horrible.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I eat iron rich foods and vitamin c. I also take iron pills. I can just barely keep my iron up high enough to donate blood.

My mother on the other hand, doing all that, can never get hers high enough to donate.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Have your doctor check your Vitamin B12 level. Low levels are common with vegan diet. (I do realize you are not totally vegan)
  • dispatcher939
    dispatcher939 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I struggle with maintaining B12, I have to take shots 2xs a month and still hang on the lower side of normal. Doctor's suggested high iron food along with cooking in an iron skillet( not sure that makes a difference) along with a vitamin daily.
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    - Calcium and tannins (found in tea) interfere with the absorption of iron so make sure you take it separately.

- Vitamin C and B12 help the absorption of iron so take your iron with something rich in those like strawberries or an orange.

- Shreddies, Chex cereal and cream of wheat are good sources of iron.

- I like the liquid iron supplements. It's easier on the stomach.
  • HealthyHappy42014
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're working with a doctor on this or not, but I've had pretty severe anemia in the past and if your iron level is not just on the low-side of normal (maybe like 11 or so) you probably need to do more than change your diet. For awhile my iron level was hovering between 3 and 4 and I needed to take 4 of those iron pills daily for 6 months to a year before I could go back down to taking 1/day, and that was including eating iron rich foods. Basically what I'm trying to say is you should see a doctor and ask what they think you should do to get your iron levels up (and keep them up)
  • tahinilove
    tahinilove Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - thanks for all the tips!

Healthyhappier- my Dr actually diagnosed me recently and told me to take a supplements. He said I was 'mildly anaemic'.

I think I eat enough b12 containing products to be okay with that? I've just stopped drinking tea (I was basically drinking it throughout the day and with every meal!)
  • falilvx
    falilvx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm anaemic too . My doctor suggest me to eat balanced meal and get proper sleep . I think vegan diet is not suitable for an anaemic (correct me if I'm wrong) :) and actually it depends on what type of anemia is you .
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Anemia is my only health problem. I have been anemic all my life, even before I was a vegan. I have been vegan since age 18. Requiring extreme amount of sleep is a cross I have borne my whole life.Energy is, and always has been, a foreign concept to me. I have never experienced what it feels like to not be fatigued. I am 61. Other than anemia, I am extraordinarily healthy. Never sick. The weird thing is, the severe anemia symptoms didn't kick in till AFTER menopause. I have endured several bouts of severe anemia symptoms. The.first was at age 55, 2 years after menopause. Suddenly, I couldn't endure the July heat; it made me dizzy and faint. By November, I was literally crawling on the ground. I felt fine lying down or sitting down. Every time I stood up I felt dizzy, a crushing pain in the center of my chest and trouble breathing-- I was only able to take a few steps before I had to squat down in the sidewalk or floor and rest. One time it nearly killed me because I crossed a street and couldn't squat down in the middle of the road-- by the time I reached the sidewalk, my breathing was so impaired that I COULD NOT GET ANY AIR. I lived through that barely, my breathing recovering just in time to keep me from passing out. So after 2 months of this, one of my friends convinced me to go to the ER; he rode there with me on the bus. The doctor said my red blood count was 18 and was supposed to be 40. I signed myself out ofthe ER against medical advice. The doctor wanted to admit me and run more tests because she had never seen a red blood count that low that did not indicate internal bleeding. Apparently, she had never seen a long-term vegan who has been so poor all her life that she has had to live mainly on potato chips. She said she orders blood transfusions for a red blood count of 25 and mine was only 18. She said I could drop dead at any time from a heart attack or possibly a stroke. I said no transfusions for me and where do I sign (the AMA form). She said my blood count will never be normal without transfusions,but she prescribed mega-dosesof iron/ B12, and folic acid. She said with the supplements, I might feel some improvement in about a year. I never got the supplements because I can't afford vegan supplements. One of my friends bought me a bunch of better food and after 4 days of bed rest and better food, I started improving. The second bout was 2 years later and I blame it on dieting from 131 pounds (which was my weight at the time of the first bout) to 112. I believe the diet just was too hard on my body. Again, I was crawling everywhere. Another of my friends bought me a bunch of better food and I recovered after a couple of weeks of bed rest. Then in 2013, two years later, it hit me again hard; ALSO after a diet where I lost from 127 to 112 and then dropping down once to 108 and once to 109 because I was trying to maintain but ended up losing weight. So I tried to eat better food and get more rest and made it through. I am a vegan for ethical reasons, not for health. I believe it is possible to avoid anemia as a vegan if you always take vegan iron supplements and get enough B-12 from vegan supplements or fortified vegan soy milk, and don't try to live on potatoes and potato chips.
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    2/3 cup (13 pieces) of Frosted Mini-wheats will give you a whopping 59 of iron. I build them into my calorie intake usually on a daily basis. I call them my "cookies".
  • aedreana
    Options
    Good luck with trying to determine whether the iron in enriched cereals/crackers/breads, etc., is of animal origin or not. 99% of the time, the product manufacturer will not know, and will tell you their ingredient suppliers say it is proprietary information. Therefore, I believe it to be literally impossible for a vegan to get sufficient iron without vegan supplements.
  • tahinilove
    Options
    Aedreana - wow I've never heard of/known anyone to have followed a vegan diet for that long! One of the many reasons why I have yet to follow a vegan diet 100% is the potential deficiencies one can encounter. I'm so sorry to hear all the ills you have encountered! The fatigue is really hitting me - to the extent I'm over eating to try and help but it isn't making any difference! You mention that you couldn't afford the supplements, so a vegan who could afford the supplements ought to be okay? I have read that vegans can absorb non-heme iron better than non-vegans. I don't have any fortified milks so maybe I should look into them. I'm a bit sceptical of soy products!
  • aedreana
    Options
    Good morning! I believe that the supplements would work if you do not allow the anemia to get as bad as mine has. If you are able to PREVENT such an extreme degree of anemia, by never allowing your iron and B12 to drop down that far, it is possible with supplements to maintain a normal red blood count. The Silk vanilla soy milk is what is keeping me alive. It does not contain much iron but it does have B12. All Silk brand products are vegan. I fully believe that it is impossible for a vegan to obtain sufficient iron from food, without taking supplements. I am not convinced that a vegan diet is overall healthier than a nonvegan diet. As I said, I am vegan for ethical reasons, not health; theoretically, with supplements and a well-planned vegan diet, a vegan can be healthy. The challenges are that 1) vegan supplements and nutritious vegan food are very expensive and 2) controlling calorie intake isn't easy on a nutritious vegan diet. Soy milk, for example, is not low in calories! It is far easier for nonvegans to get all their required nutrients, keep their caloric intake low, and eat on a tight budget. All of those things are hard for a vegan. Yes, I have allowed myself to gain weight sometimes because I knew that by eating better I would feel better! But then I have to go on a reducing diet yet again. I am only 5' 3 1/2" and so I am overweight right now at 121 pounds. I will be starting a reducing diet by the end of this week. I plan to use some of my allowed calories each day for a 16- ounce glass of soy milk.
  • tahinilove
    Options
    Aedreana - I'm really sorry to hear all the issues you have had with anaemia!
  • aedreana
    Options
    Thank you, tahinilove. Please don't make the same mistake that I did, if you can avoid it-- try your very best to prevent your anemia from becoming so severe as to be irrevocable!