What's your favorite food at Trader Joe's?

Options
Vmcd
Vmcd Posts: 33 Member
I'm thinking of going to Trader Joe's this weekend for the first time. I usually just stick to the healthiest things I can find at Wal-Mart, but I'm getting a little bored with the same things. Let me know what you like to buy there! Obviously, only the healthy stuff!!

Replies

• skinnyack
    Options
    Tomatillo and roasted yellow corn salsa- I use it for salad dressing, as ketchup, as a drink (not really but seriosuly I think it's that good) and of course on tacos. I also really like their soups like organic lentil and black bean etc. Oh oh and their dark chocolate wedges are very effective at killing my sugar cravings. Oh and their just a handful presized baggies of cranberries and nuts- great to keep in the purse... and I forgot the kettle corn lite packets...

Ugh just friend me and read my diary... :-)
  • nilisabel
    Options
    I like their gummy vitamins. Their ready-to-eat selection is good. Also they have inexpensive fruits and vegetables, compared to other big supermarkets.
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    Oooh so many favorites. I'd say start by stocking up on some of the basics, which you can get cheaper here. Balsamic vin, olive oil, and frozen veggies are always a good start. I also really like their appetizers for portion control. They have these mini pizzas and mini tacos that are great, and you can have several for around 300 calories.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I LOVE trader joe's - and they are super convenient for healthy stuff!

Things that I always have in my fridge/cabinet from trader joes:
    String cheese
    Ready to eat edamame
    100 calorie chocolate bars
    Single serving bags of nuts and/or trail mix
    Lots and lots of frozen fruits and veggies
    Frozen indian/thai meals - they usually have at least 5-6 choices under 400 calories.
    POTSTICKERS!
    Almond butter
    Baked or popped chips.

Trader joe's is a great place if you want to eat healthy b/c they have a lot of tasty flavors that are not too expensive or calorie/fat filled, so you feel like you are eating a 'treat' without the bad parts. My only complaint is that they don't have great selections of fresh fruits and veggies. I think their frozen selection of fruits, veggies and meals is phenomenal though - its great to always have something taht I can pop in the microwave or oven to heat up, but is not over processed, salted, or bad for me. Have a great time and let us know what you find!!
  • gracefullyjenn
    Options
    Their almonds, almond butter with flax seed, steel oats, packaged mahi mahi, dried apricots, raspberry vinagerette salad dressing, hummus, etc
  • gracefullyjenn
    Options
    oh and 100 calorie chocolate bars
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    They have pb filled pretzel bites that are scrumptious 11 or 12 for about 140 cals.

Like thier almond butter too! :)
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i like the cereal selection at trader joe's. I'm a fan of Barbara's cereals, where they have a lot to choose from there. I also enjoy the wider selection of exotic-flavored teas. The frozen seafood (mahi-mahi burgers?!) always looks delicious. Oh, i'm also a yogurt fanatic which they have a nice selection of as well.
  • cookingcriolla
    Options
    They have a frozen chicken fajita mix that's good and very low calories. It comes with seasoning, veggies and chicken - it's real chicken breast too. You just have to cook and put it in a shell.

Just make sure you read the nutritional info on some of the packaged stuff, it may sound like a healthy alternative and it probably is healthy but alot of calories.
  • numberscolors
    Options
    pretty much everything but their fresh produce! i just was there this week and bought:
    frozen veggie and shrimp stir fry
    steel oats
    whole wheat pasta
    bag of pre-measured mixed fruit and nuts (the omega-3 kind!)
    bean so green frozen veggies
    pollo asado
    popcorn
    chicken breast strips
    evoo
    fat free greek yogurt
    cereal
    and a few low carb frozen meals
    and a bunch of other stuff for under $60
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    The frozen brown rice is nice to keep handy!
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    I am so glad you asked this! Trader Joe's opened up in my town TODAY and i am nearly pee-my-pants excited to go!
  • demiahbryant
    demiahbryant Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love TJ's! It's an adventure going there. Just like most other grocery chains, you're going to get the freshest product around the perimiter of the store (fruit/veggies, meat/poultry/vegan, dairy, etc). There's a sample counter where you can try the free coffee and an entree of the day. I recommend checking the nutrition info, then trying the sample: you'll be shocked that something that tastes that good could be healthy.

What makes TJ exceptional are their food options for a great price. You can get organic veggies, cage-free chicken, and gluten-free foods for a fraction of Whole Foods' prices.

Most of their food options are good if you're a bad cook or don't have a lot of time for cooking. They have a lot of "little things" that can make a simple meal great: a big variety of breads, signature aioli & garlic mustard, and the meat of your choice.

I also recommend their low-sodium red pepper tomato soup: add that with grilled chicken, avocados and/or rice and you have a hearty meal in 5 minutes.

The best thing about Trader Joe's (besides the $2-buck Chuck) is the entire staff is very friendly, courteous, and knowledgeable about the whereabouts in the store. There is no "meat guy" and another "stocker guy" - they all share roles and they all pitch in.
  • nmpresto
    nmpresto Posts: 157
    Options
    I love love love love Trader Joes! Some of my faves:

Lite string cheese
    Chile Lime chicken
    Greek Yogurt (the pomegranate is my FAVORITE!)
    Raw Almonds
    Cheap eggs
    Lite White Cheddar Cheese
    Morningstar Veggie burgers and sausage patties (you can buy them at any supermarket but they are cheaper at Trader Joes)

Have fun, it is such a fun place to go!
  • littlewhirl
    Options
    The things I always buy at TJ's are:

Tamari almonds
    Southern Greens
    Greek Yogurt
    Cucumber wontons
    Veggie tempura brown rice rolls
    Tofurkey
    Earth Balance
    Soy ice cream sandwiches (well, not always, but when I'm craving chocolate &/or ice cream I do)

I was just there & they were passing out samples of pumpkin ice cream, of course I caved and had a bite. Worth it though (and I walked there so I don't feel too guilty).
  • hermosafit
    Options
    The pre-cooked brown rice pouches are the best out there. No sodium! And they can be used in so many dishes.

We all focus on calories, but all the sodium in the processed foods really adds up, easy to be regularly eating twice as much sodium as we need.

Uncle bens pre-cooked brown rice pouches taste good but have a ton of sodium.
  • fatherdowling
    fatherdowling Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm so in love with the frozen Chicken Tikka masala and the reduced fat chinese chicken salad.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    the valencia peanut butter - yum! precut/washed organic veggies, pre-cooked chicken breast (if I'm in a rush I just throw it on some precut washed kale and I got a salad), the RICE AND ADZUKI BEAN chips are so light and crispy, don't ever taste them!, the garlic hummus, the frozen meals and veggies, the cheap vitamin supplements... And there is always something new! like someone else said, it's an adventure to go there. Too fun!
  • lee1960
    lee1960 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    New find at Trader Joe's -- a bag of already hard boiled eggs -- 6 for $2.50. Not cheap, but a great thing to have in the break room refrigerator at work. Besides -- everytime I hard boil eggs I end up with a little green ;)
  • jesshasredhair
    jesshasredhair Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's is perfect for MFP!

My friends love the blue corn tortillas and "just chicken" with the avocado salsa
    The hummus' are all good. (I like the jalapeno Cilantro)
    Turkey burger patties are cheap!
    Frozen Chicken Tikka Masala meal is great (though any packaged food has high sodium)
    The premade salads are great for lunch.
    100 cal dark chocolate bars

My shopping list usually includes
    Almonds
    String Cheese
    Turkey Burgers
    Veggies of all kinds
    Hummus
    Bag of carrots/snap peas
    Frozen fish

Basically you really can't go wrong!