does bmi matter?

Options
So I'm am 5'7 and 8st 6lb. My goal weight is 8st.
The other day I tested to see what my bmi is and what it will be: Its currently 18.5 and will be about 18. This would make me under weight, but I don't fee, it would be too thin and now I am certainly not too thin.
Recently I've been told by multiple people tha bmi doesnt matter so is this ojay?

Replies

• aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm alot shorter than you and I wouldn't want to be 8st 6lbs let alone 8st.

What dress size are you?
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    BMI doesnt take into account muscle composition, so I wouldnt follow it.

However, 8st is extremly low for someone 5'7". Im also the same height, and would look like im dying at 8st.
  • eggcluck
    eggcluck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    BMI is for average people only as it does not take into account body composition.

If you work out for strength or play sport you will have more muscle which is heavy than fat and so would give you a higher BMI while still being healthy. This is why BMI is not so useful. Genetics also play a role. By far the more accurate why is going by body fat %. A simple way to do this is to keep measurements and see if they are improving.

If you are an office worker, do no not work out or only do endurance/ steady state cardio BMI would be more useful to you. Take note that a large amount of cardio actually reduces muscle which reduces metabolic rate which in turn reduces calories burned a day.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    BMI is a less-than ideal measurement for any real purposes aside from insurance companies wanting to charge you more money. It doesn't take into account body composition or muscle mass. You and your Doctor should know full well if you're at a healthy weight, underweight, overweight, etc. I honestly wouldn't pay too much attention to BMI. Just my two cents.
  • TwirleySlims
    TwirleySlims Posts: 112
    Options
    My BMI says I should be around 10.5 stone, I am 5'8 tall and at my most comfy between 11 to 12 stone. I was 8 stone when I was 18, I looked like a rake! Not a good look! Remember we are supposed to be & look healthy not a bag of bones :D
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    BMI is a general guide for the general population. People say it doesn't matter because it doesn't take into consideration muscle mass/boobs etc. That said, you definitely do not need to lose weight, you are very light for your height. I weigh the same as you but I'm 5'3.5...

Why do you want to lose weight? Would you benefit more from a body recomposition by weight training to build muscle (make you look 'toned'?

Just FYI - People are going to see your stats and automatically assume eating disorder, and you may well have body dysmorphia if you see yourself as chubby/heavy at 8st6
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't follow BMI because it doesn't take muscle into account. It seems like a good guideline, but not a good rule. :)
  • detoxjusttoretox
    Options
    I am size 10-12
    And I want to loose weight to slim up a bit , I dont really want more muscle as I dont find it very attractive
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I believe BMI matters a great deal when you're aiming to be an underweight BMI. It's when you're muscular and that puts you as overweight that it's misleading. Few of us are in that boat.
  • detoxjusttoretox
    Options
    from what I see bmi doesn't affect everyone so Its okay?
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I think you need to reassess your goals.

Maybe consult a doctor 10-12 is good size for your height.

Maybe consider toning up instead of losing more weight.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    BMI 'affects everyone' like height affects everyone. If you think it's ok for you to go to a weight that is below what authorities think is healthy for your height because some people don't like BMI for muscular people, that's your prerogative.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I am size 10-12
    And I want to loose weight to slim up a bit , I dont really want more muscle as I dont find it very attractive

The best way to slim up is to increase your muscle mass because muscle takes up less room than fat. You don't find being healthy attractive?