Fish Oil Supplements

Options
Just because I'm curious, how many of you all take fish oil supplements regularly? What are your personal benefits from taking them and how often do you take them? I took them religiously for about two months last spring and I just bought a new bottle of Nature Made: Fish Oil 1200 mg.

Thanks!! :)

Replies

• Alison84
    Options
    bump. I'm curious what people say to this.
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    I was also interested in that. I currently take Flax Seed Oil supplements, Vitamin B-Complex and a multi. I recently added CoQ-10 and Chromium.

I'd be curious to see what people say to your question.
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    I have been taking them for a couple of years and I think the most benefit I have got from it is less achy joints. I take one everyday with one of my meals.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I have been taking them for a couple of years and I think the most benefit I have got from it is less achy joints. I take one everyday with one of my meals.

Same here. They really do help my joints feel better!
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I was taking them per my doctor for lowering Cholesterol. It is also very good for your skin & hair as well.
  • maurap26
    maurap26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I recently started taking fish oil & add flax meal (ground flax seed) to as much food as I can
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    I did a lil research on some supplements and fish oil was one I researched but I was just wondering if any one actually felt the difference.

Help with joints was definitely the thing they highlighted most.

Sharonuk10 thanks for your post. I think I may try it since my joints are old and achy :bigsmile:
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    i take omega-3 gummy vitamins (like gummy candy only they have a funny aftertaste) its made from sea weed and not fish (i'm vegetarian) they help with my mental clarity (i have ADD, thats what i take them for) i say go ahead and do it. omega-3s are just plain good for you.
  • pauldbarnhart
    pauldbarnhart Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options
    I started taking fish oil to help correct my cholosterol, at the same time I started taking glucosamine. I have noticed less achy joints - not sure if it's one of these, or both, but either way, it's a good thing.

Just make sure you do your research. As I understand it, not all fish oils are created equal. You can get fish oil that has very little Omega-3 in it.
  • blel0906
    Options
    i take omega-3 gummy vitamins (like gummy candy only they have a funny aftertaste) its made from sea weed and not fish (i'm vegetarian) they help with my mental clarity (i have ADD, thats what i take them for) i say go ahead and do it. omega-3s are just plain good for you.

Curious does this help with the ADD? Both my husband and 10 year old have it, would love to find solutions to eventually get her off the meds and something that can help my husband (not on meds he just deals)
  • Benzo500
    Benzo500 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Omega 3 Fish oil gel caps for 3 years now consistently. I take three 1000mg pills per day. I also take 15ml of Flax Seed oil per day mixed in with one of my protein shakes. Both have many benefits including helping with your cholesterol, heart, blood pressure, skin, hair, depression, asthma, colon cancer, breast cancer and even menstrual pain.
  • caroarcia
    caroarcia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I recently started taking a krill oil supplement once a day, basically because in overall its good for you but mostly because I read that omega3 helps with depression, something that I am prone to.. And I have to say I have felt better, no more mood swings :smile: also I read it helps curb your appetite I don’t know about that, but I have been able to stick to my plan much easier than before. :bigsmile:
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I give my pups fish oil... but I don't take it. Helps with their joints, coat & skin.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

Yes, I use pure liquid cod liver oil twice per day in my daughter's supplement juices (she has autism) and it has a DRAMATIC improvement on her ability to make and maintain eye contact, hold focus, etc. The difference in her really was night and day, in terms of her behavior before and after adding the cod liver oil. She hates the taste of it (can't say as I blame her... it's pretty rough), so to sympathize and encourage her, I started taking a spoonful of it straight (while she just got to drink it mixed with her juice) twice a day. She loves to watch my face... and will sometimes hold my nose for me... but I have noticed less aches and pains and a much improved mental clarity.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Big Bliever. I have Omega 3 Fish Oil in capsuls as well as in liquid form and I take both every day. I take 2000mg's in the AM with breakfast, and then 1000mg's at every meal :) (usually 1 capsul = 1000mg's). Love them. My hair is shiney, healthy, skin is glowing as always.

But this comes from a Family that is in USANA (if anyone knows of this) I have been on supplementation since I was 7 years old :) always on some type of vitamin here's my regime:

Wake up:
    1 - 25mcg cytomel (thyroid)

Breakfast
    -2000mg fish oil capsul
    -1 tsp omega 3 oil in protein shake

4 hrs after wake up:
    -multi vitamin
    -chelated mineral
    -procossa (joint supplement)
    -proflavonal (immune system)
    -vitamin d

Lunch Time:
    -1 - 25mcg Cytomel (thyroid)

4 hours later:
    -multi vitamin
    -chelated mineral
    -procossa (joint supplement)
    -proflavonal (immune system)
    -vitamin d

Pre Bed:
    - 1 - 25mcg Cytomel (thyroid)
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Just because I'm curious, how many of you all take fish oil supplements regularly? What are your personal benefits from taking them and how often do you take them? I took them religiously for about two months last spring and I just bought a new bottle of Nature Made: Fish Oil 1200 mg.

Thanks!! :)

Omega 3 fish oil are a supplement I use and have been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease..Omega 3 increases High density lipoprotein which act as cholesterol scavengers. HDL retards the development of atherosclerosis by acting as a reverse cholesterol transfer system. And research shows that somebody who had a close male relative die from heart attack before age 60 (which I have) has a 3-6 times greater risk of contracting CAD. So it is a supplement that I feel is a very beneficial part of my overall nutrition and health.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    About a year and a half ago I had to stop running because I had such bad knee pain. I took anti-inflammatorys and I received acupunture but nothing worked for me. I started taking a fish oil supplement and it completely healed my knee and I've been running again every since. I just completed my first 1/2 Marathon and had absolutely no issues with my knee. It's a miracle supplement! ( :
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I used to take it for circulation... however it made me burp so much it was embarassing lol But it did help while I was taking it.
  • jennievh
    jennievh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been taking them for a few months and have seen tremendous improvement in the arthritis I get in my fingers.

My question is, do you log the extra g of fat in your food diary? I take 1000 mg of fish oil and 1000mg of Evening Primrose Oil per day, so that's 2g of fat! :(