Hungry eating 1200 kcal a day; 5'3?

For the longest time, I haven't had much of an appetite as I was sick and really stressed for a few months - with school, life and all, and I was eating around 1000 kcal and exercising a lot:
Monday: 10 km run
Tuesday : 3 hours field hockey training
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: 3 hours field hockey training
Friday: 1 hour walk
Saturday: 10 km run
Sunday: 30 minute strength and conditioning

I'm pretty sure I've gained a muscle with all that exercise for a few months. However, lately over the past week or so, I've been feeling really hungry. All I eat are tofu, fish, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, yogurt, milk (all low fat or fat free) so my foods are high in nutrients. I am not sure why I still feel hungry eating 1200 kcal per day. And last week, I've exercised a bit less (1 10 km run instead of 2, the rest is the same).

I've been having 6-7 hours of sleep lately so I reckon maybe I haven't have enough sleep (I'm 19), but I feel hungry even if I've slept 9 hours that night so I'm not sure what's happening but I'm really hungry and I feel like I've already eaten a lot throughout the day although it's mainly fruit and vegetables and all.

Am I eating enough? I'm about 5'3 and 55kg (or 110lbs) and I really don't want to gain weight because it will affect my performance in hockey.

Replies

• fangmouse
    fangmouse Posts: 119
    I eat chicken and pork from time to time too
  • fangmouse
    fangmouse Posts: 119
    Oh sorry my weight is 120 lbs not 110
  • AutumnElf80
    AutumnElf80 Posts: 58 Member
    So I took the fact that you're 19, 120 lbs and 5'3" and plugged it into the TDEE calculator. I only put that you are lightly active and it spit me out the goal of 1893 calories a day for you to maintain your weight.

Here's the link, plug in your stats and you can tweak the activity level to best represent your current activity. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

But yeah I'd say you're eating to little and not sleeping enough. You could also discuss your diet/exercise/sleep habits with your doctor and see what they recommend.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Add healthy fats as well!
    Olive oil
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Nut butters

Fats will help you feel satiated along with eating more.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    So I took the fact that you're 19, 120 lbs and 5'3" and plugged it into the TDEE calculator. I only put that you are lightly active and it spit me out the goal of 1893 calories a day for you to maintain your weight.

Here's the link, plug in your stats and you can tweak the activity level to best represent your current activity. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

But yeah I'd say you're eating to little and not sleeping enough. You could also discuss your diet/exercise/sleep habits with your doctor and see what they recommend.

^this.

Also, you're most definitely NOT gaining muscle with the aggressive deficit you have you in place. What energy are you giving your body to possibly even begin muscle building? Pretty much need a surplus in calories to gain muscle (and a good amount of protein, resistance training).

I'm 5'3.5" and maintain around 2200. Fuel your work outs for goodness sake!