Cooking vs. Healthy Food - My own misconception

Options
I just realized that I've been lying to myself. As previously mentioned I'm a bit of a lazy person most times and cooking falls into that territory. Most of the time if I was hungry I would look at what's easy, things like top ramen, mac and cheese in a box, quesadillas, fast food, etc. So once I started this weight loss adventure I decided to start cooking. BUT, I've realized that although it's obvious that cooking alone doesn't make food healthy, I actually have been pretending that it does! I've totally overlooked the fact that I still have to cut out the crap and insert the good. *sigh, man the things you learn about yourself! Any tips on some delicious healthy recipes?

Replies

• TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I have a whole low carb cookbook that I could email to you. It's PDF.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Well, there are some great websites out there, but the best cookbook I have found so far is "The Cooking Light Complete Cookbook". I like having something tangible that I can get a few smugs on (not my laptop!). The book is full of tested recipes with colorful pictures, precise instructions and detailed nutritional information. It's under 30 bucks and a sound investment for cooking at home. (No, I'm not working for the publishing company LOL.)
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    Well, there are some great websites out there, but the best cookbook I have found so far is "The Cooking Light Complete Cookbook". I like having something tangible that I can get a few smugs on (not my laptop!). The book is full of tested recipes with colorful pictures, precise instructions and detailed nutritional information. It's under 30 bucks and a sound investment for cooking at home. (No, I'm not working for the publishing company LOL.)

i've flipped through that book in the book stores sooo many times and i have to agree it looks awesome (i've been meaning to buy it but every time i get money it seems like i need it for something else XD dang it!) if you're a tangible recipe person (like having a book and not a computer) why not print out healthy recipes you find online and put them in a binder with plastic pages, thats what i do and its GREAT to have a whole binder full of delicious healthy recipes that i've picked out myself (its like making your own cook book! its fun!)
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Try looking at your local library. They usually have a collection of cookbooks you can check out, and flip through to see if there's stuff in there you're interested in and feel comfortable making. Then you know whether or not it's worth buying it.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The hungrygirl and weightwatchers websites have some really good recipes on them that you can find even if you aren't a subscriber. I like hungrygirl because they show you how to substitute healthy ingredients in previously unhealthy recipes.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Cookinglight.com

Eatingwell.com

Also, check out some light cooking cookbooks. I have one that advertises $7 a meal (per serving, not for the whole dish, lol), a Fix-It-and-Enjoy it and a couple of hungry girls.

Lots of these and some places online will also have replacement guidelines so you can modify some of your old recipes to be better for you.

Good luck!
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    awesome! Thanks everyone!
  • blel0906
    Options
    I relate to well to this...I'm lazy too cooking does not fit into my lazy lifestyle LOL...I'm working on the cooking, nothing special I just don't go back for seconds, take smaller portions...

Quick and easy last night we made homemade fahitas (well kinda) grilled the chicken husband marrinated them in lime added seasonings..Used uncooked fresh veggies instead of cooking them down, tomatoes, peppers, onions and lettuce..used a whole wheat tortilla...they were really good and filling.. they would have been really healthy except I did add a little cheese and sour cream (not alot) and I ate 2=613 calories but I really could have been satisfied with 1...they were just sooo good
  • tanias11
    Options

ooo i would love it :) please please please. god only knows i need to cut down on the carbs! ha
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Hi!
    Can you please email it to me too?
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

yes please!
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options

ooh! That would be so nice! Thank you so much in advance :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I also recently got one by Cooking Light loving it so far! Quick, healthy and tasty looking recipes. I do like the Cooking light mags etc. as well.

I might take a look at the one you suggested as well next time I'm at the library, though I might not need one for some time as this one is a large & chunky cookbook!:flowerforyou:

" Cooking Light 'Fresh Food Fast Weeknight Meals"