Powerlifting

Options
I'm trying to find an exercise that I will enjoy...I'd like to give powerlifting a go. This won't be my first time lifting weights, I recently completed a 2 month program a few weeks ago. Does anyone have any good programs? Advice in general? Everything is appreciated...and if there are any powerlifters here, feel free to friend me.

Replies

212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    The easiest way other than finding a legitimate power lifting gym, is buy a copy of Starting Strength. It covers all the basics and does a great job of showing how to perform the exercises properly. Form is very very important in power lifting. One bit of advice, skip the nutrition portion of the book (GOMAD). It is geared towards skinny male teenagers.

Jeff
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The easiest way other than finding a legitimate power lifting gym, is buy a copy of Starting Strength. It covers all the basics and does a great job of showing how to perform the exercises properly. Form is very very important in power lifting. One bit of advice, skip the nutrition portion of the book (GOMAD). It is geared towards skinny male teenagers.

Jeff

I'll second this. Starting Strength is probably the best place to start. Reading the section on deadlifts and reworking my foot position, bar approach etc instantly added 20 lbs to my deadlift. Form matter.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    www.powerliftingtowin.com (awesome content and review of just about every single major lifting (powerlifting focus) program out there). The guy that runs it is called Israel Thomas Narvaez or "IzzyT" and he provides a powerlifting novice program for free). The whole site is specifically focused on the sport of powerlifting.

www.canditotraininghq.com (Johnn'y website as there are links to his programs, but his YouTube content is extremely well done and for his size, he is monster strong) Johhny also has a novice program worth looking at.

As previous posters have mentioned, the Starting Strength book is one of the best by far in regards in outlining the proper form and movement (and the reasoning behind it) for those compound lifts...so definitely money well spent. Again, the powerliftingtowin.com website has reviews on this program as well as many others as it relates to powerlifting (just because its a good strength program, does not mean it's the best powerlifting program). But do the research and reading yourself to run a program that best matches what your goals are and what fits best for you.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    There's a powerlifting group on myfitnesspal. You should join it so that you can ask competitive lifters the questions that you will inevitably have.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Replying so I can find this thread and those websites again :) Powerlifting seems like a lot of fun, and way more interesting than the bodybuilding my sister is doing. Tilapia, broccoli, and quinoa five times a day forever? No thanks.