Are these food's calories correct?

Options
for breakfast, I ate Noodle Soup With Chinese Preserved Vegetables and Pork (榨菜肉絲麵), 1 bowl which is 400calories
for lunch, I ate only a little of rice and a stir fry bean sprouts with veggies which is 167calories
for dinner , I ate pork porridge which is 364
Total is 931calories.

I feel like I ate a lot. However, the calories are very low from what I guessed.
Are these calories seem to be correct?
Am I eating too little ?

Replies

• JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I guess it really depends. Are these products you would find in the grocery store out of a box? Or homemade? homemade is more about calculation on your part but if what you're eating has a barcode it generally is pretty close to being accurate. From reading what you put down it really doesnt sound like a lot of food at all.
  • thazin1244
    thazin1244 Posts: 15
    Options
    Except the pork porridge, others are homemade..yes. Do homemade food have more calories?
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    How are you making these meals? From scratch? Are you flavouring with purchased sauces or homemade?

(Might be best to keep all of your questions in one "rookie" thread today, rather than starting a few separate threads).
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    No, food does not contain more calories merely because you made it at home. You will obviously have more control over the contents though. For example, you could increase the proportion of peas and reduce the proportion of noodles and omit any salt altogether.

You need to weigh and count each ingredient. So, if you used a handful of noodles, weigh them, find out how many calories that weight would contain and add that to your food diary.
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ^ What they said, if you want to know the exact amount of calories that is what you have to do. If you make it the same way you can add it as a recipe for your account. A lot of times the database versions are lower in calories then the food actually is just because people dont calculate the recipes correctly, but homemade food you control what you put in so a lot of times it will be much much lower then resteraunt or store bought.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Am I eating too little ?

With 29 pounds to go.....set your weekly weight loss goal to 1 pound a week and put in your activity level. MFP will tell you your daily calorie goal. Try to MEET this everyday. This number won't include exercise....so if you do exercise, log it and eat a portion of those calories too. Don't eat all you exercise calories because MFP calorie burn estimates tend to be high.

Here are a couple of threads with tons of useful info

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=accurately
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    All food should be weighed before you consume it.

When home cooking, calculate your own recipes using the recipe builder, making sure you weigh every ingredient you have used.

Don't go by other peoples recipes as they would have used different recipes and brand ingredients etc. so it would not be accurate.

You also need to eat more than 900 calories, and may well have eaten more, if you haven't been weighing and logging your food accurately.