Vibram Fivefinger's advice if you don't mind.

Options
I just bought a pair and I was thinking of going out and starting the C25K with them tonight. Do you think Week 1 Day 1 of the C25K would be too much too fast.

BTW I only wear shoes when I have to leave my house and it is required that I do. I live barefoot. I have high arches and even workout barefoot (when I workout at home).

Replies

• ItsMeTime
    Options
    I am not sure what day 1 of the C25k plan is, but i started with 1 mile 3x a week and was able to build quickly, it really only took a few runs to get comfortable in them and go up to 3 or 4 miles
  • docbku
    docbku Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't be a problem at all. When I got my FiveFingers I had planned to "break" them in slowly, but instead, was so amazed by the sensation that I ran 30 minutes straight. You'll probably have some blisters on ball of feet, but you'll get used to them fast. I also did C25K, though I hadn't yet discovered the FiveFingers--my knees and ankle hurt so bad I thought I'd have to give up running. With FiveFingers, those pains are gone. Enjoy!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Mine aren't Vibrams but the Terra Plana's which are similar. I thought like you I am barefoot all of the time so I could break them in faster. I went 4 miles (when I was running a minimum of 10 each day). I was sore for three days and couldn't run. I would suggest starting in them, and carrying your other running shoes with you to change at the slight moment of soreness. I will add, I quickly got up to par and was right at home with 10-12 mile runs. I went from a Nike Free to the Terra Plana's
  • GirlOverboard
    GirlOverboard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would start really easy on them if you've never been a runner before. I mention it because about a month and a half ago, I started running for the first time in my life prior to being forced to in high school and decided to do it wearing my Vibrams. Well, I did *something* to a tendon in my right leg after running 3 out of 5 days in them and I couldn't do much of anything for a while. At least, that's what it felt like; I could put pressure on that foot but I couldn't bend it properly - even if I just twisted it a little rolling around in my sleep, I'd wake up in pain! I fully realized this issue a week after the fact, after my calf muscles eased up enough for me to really feel it.

Sooo I was back to limited working out up until last weekend. I only ran 20 minutes in them and the ankles and tendons did OK, but my calves were sore like nothing else... but it was a good kind of sore! Just be sure to stretch, ice/heat your legs if you think they're starting to suffer a little and take it easy. If you have to wear sneakers every other time, or twice out of every three times, to start, then do that - the last thing you want to do is start off strong then be off your feet for a few weeks!

On that note, I'm looking forward to hitting the gym in my vibrams today. The bulk of my workout will be on the elliptical, than 30 minutes of "running." (I use the term lightly because I run for 1 min at a time every 2-3 minutes so most of that time is actually spent walking lol).

Good luck!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing, it is just a suggested program. Use it the way you need to. I did day 1 at least 3 times. The first 2 I only jogged twice. You can do this!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at these. I HATE HATE HATE did I mention HATE shoes? When I was doing P90x at home I did everything but Kenpo barfoot (the pivoting I needed shoes for). I'm not a runner though so I didn't know if it would be worth the investment. Though generally speaking I'm not a runner because it hurts my back and I do know that my back and other things hurt a lot less when I run barefoot or in flip flops, though that's usually not very far at all since, well, it's the street and they're flip flops :)
  • mlb929
    Options
    MJT - I'm similar to you, hate shoes. Really hate tennis shoes. If you don't want to invest in a barefoot shoe because you're not a runner, you may find that a high quality aquasock is less expensive and serves the same purpose. This is what my 11yo will run in. Vibrams were originally designed as deck shoes and now are the rage because of the barefoot running trend.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    That shouldn't be too much to do with them...if you aren't sure just start by wearing them around the house. I do almost all of my workouts barefooted too (and run in my fivefingers!)
  • Amber4182
    Amber4182 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice, I haven't had a chance to run yet because my DH is out of of town right now so when he gets back I will be hitting the park or the gym in them and seeing how they fair.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    How do these things go for people with minimal arch in their feet? (a bit flat footed)
  • mlb929
    Options
    I can't speak for the Vibrams, but I run in a Terra Planna under the advice of my podiatrist. The best thing you can do for your feet is increase the flexibility in them. We all wear rigid shoes most of the day, which has reduced our foot flexibility to minimal. So I would assume, high or low arch, you would be working your feet muscles. My Dh is very flat footed, he doesn't run but he has no problem being barefoot all summer with no pain or side effects.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I think that's the perfect time to start wearing them. I was in C25k Week 5 Day 3 when I started wearing them. I had no problems at all.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    How do these things go for people with minimal arch in their feet? (a bit flat footed)

It was suggested to actually run barefoot, so you can get the feel for it before investing in the shoes. I ran 2 miles barefoot before I got them and I was hooked.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    thanks people :)