Cryptonomnomicon
Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
Great short video (Thanks _gypsyrunner_) :flowerforyou:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XjJQBjWYDTs

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I just loved this. I think somewhere deep down I felt like this until I picked up a barbell. I was never a weak woman - I moved furniture on my own and carried heavy things without assistance. But, when I picked up a barbell - I finally "got it".
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    This just made me tear up - loved it :heart:
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I just loved this. I think somewhere deep down I felt like this until I picked up a barbell. I was never a weak woman - I moved furniture on my own and carried heavy things without assistance. But, when I picked up a barbell - I finally "got it".

what's wrong with being a "weak"women?
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

I didn't say there was anything *wrong* with being a weak woman. I was simply saying that I was not weak.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options

6y9W8ER.gif
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Seriously love this, just shared it on my FB as well. I was always "strong for a girl" growing up, luckily I had parents who encouraged me to be proud of my strength, but I know in many ways I was the odd one out in that aspect.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i started to watch it, but i didn't watch it all. I think after a minute, i got the point. I agree with the sentiment. I don't think "like a girl" should be an insult.

however, one of my favorite scenes in "The Sandlot" is when Ham Porter and the kid on the bike in his spiffy uniform are trading barbs back and forth and Ham ends it with "YOU PLAY BALL LIKE A GIRL!"

so, i'm a little conflicted.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I saw this video on facebook this morning. I loved it and shared it with my daughter :)
  • shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Amazing, thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Neat video. Never knew, or even considered, I was insulting using this phrase before. I better just shut t-f up just to be safe.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    loved this.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    As long as I can remember my 14 year old daughter has replied to anyone saying this to her "of course I do I AM a GIRL?".
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Point NOT proven.

This is classic example of the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy combined with hashtag activism.

I mean come by on Wednesdays nights and see 100 women running just fine, thank you very much, or any of the hundreds softball and intramural football, baseball leagues, girls throw just fine.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Point NOT proven.

This is classic example of the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy combined with hashtag activism.

I mean come by on Wednesdays nights and see 100 women running just fine, thank you very much, or any of the hundreds softball and intramural football, baseball leagues, girls throw just fine.

I'm really unclear what you're trying to get at.....:huh:
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Point NOT proven.

Huh?

I watched this alone, then asked my 9 year old the same questions - she had the same general, very negative, idea of what doing things "like a girl" meant. So there is no fallacy here. We don't use the term "like a girl" in a negative way here. In fact, I have a cup that says "fight like a girl" here that I use all the time.

The idea that women are weaker is shoved into little girls heads via the media at very young ages. When we grow up, we realize how silly the thought is, but when you're a developing girl it can be very misleading and hurtful - and do serious damage to your self esteem. If my little girl thinks that doing something just as she does is less BECAUSE she's a girl - that's serious issue.

In fact, my 9 year old now says "damn right I do" if she's told she does anything "like a girl". She knows that girls are strong and smart and amazing and there is no shame in being one.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Great video! I guess we are all a product of our environment. I grew up being the only girl in a house hold of 5 boys. I was never treated like the "girl". I did what they did. I never really noticed it till I was an adult when people make difference between girls and boys or women and men. I think kids should be taught from early on that things do not have a gender role (cooking vs working on a vehicle). All things are skills and they are valuable to being self sufficient. My brothers were also taught early on to cook, clean, and even sew.

Just my thoughts :)