I wonder how much damage I would do to my progress..

Options
...and to my health (Im not diabetic or anything) if I took a day and just ate junk. Cake,candy, chips, soda... I wont do it because I know better but Im just wondering aloud what it would do. Im guessing Id probably feel sick lol

Do you ever have a day with just junk food?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    One day?

Probabaly very little impact on yoru progress. You might have water retention for a while, and as you say, you'd probably feel sick.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I do and my stomach hates me for it. But as far as damaging progress, one day in the grand scheme of things, won't do much of anything.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Depends on you - it could be the sign of the apocalypse of giving up or it could be nothing.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I don't see any food as junk. I see over eating any food and not hitting macros (carbs, fat, protein) as a bad behavioral problem. I fit any food I want to eat into my macros/calories for the day or week and enjoy it with a big smile on my face.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You'd have a temporary gain (1-10lbs depending on your current size) from basically sugar shock and sodium overkill, but it would be temporary, 3-5 days usually.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you would do no harm to your body eating whatever you wish for one day. If you eat at a deficit for that day you would not derail your weight loss. I have often said we could all lose weight if we ate nothing but snickers bars, as long as we ate at a deficit. I'm not promoting that as a good diet. But I believe it would work.

I believe we all need to incorporate some "fun" (read that, High calorie) food in our diet. Maybe not every day. But a DQ ice cream cone or snickers bar every once in a while will not ruin our progress....
  • veredit
    veredit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    One day of junk food has no impact on your progress, still not a good idea...at least isn't a good idea for me, because the junk food just act as kryptonite, for real, and I end up in at least a few days of serious binge. Maybe it's just me, but this is what I just realised, from my almost two years of weight loss journey.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You should just do it and stop worrying, because I guarantee you stress is going to kill you before fat does.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Great answers!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I don't see any food as junk. I see over eating any food and not hitting macros (carbs, fat, protein) as a bad behavioral problem. I fit any food I want to eat into my macros/calories for the day or week and enjoy it with a big smile on my face.

^This is me, too
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    People are free to delay, postpone or give up on their goal if they like but you know after it is done, the binge, they will ask themselves "why did I do that". Better to just not do it.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I fit treats into my day while hitting my macros... most days. Sunday is my "ignore macros" day and it helps to keep me on track the other 6 days of the week.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Instead of making it a whole day, just plan one cheat MEAL. It's hard to do real, irreparable damage in just one meal (though I'm sure it's possible if you really tried :p) Plan a great meal with the top few things you're craving the most, eat it and then jump right back on the wagon the next meal.

Keep in mind that with cheat meals after sustained periods of eating smaller portions of healthier food, your guts will most likely rebel in a most furious fashion. Have the cheat meal at home, with close access to a well ventilated bathroom :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    ...and to my health (Im not diabetic or anything) if I took a day and just ate junk. Cake,candy, chips, soda... I wont do it because I know better but Im just wondering aloud what it would do. Im guessing Id probably feel sick lol

Do you ever have a day with just junk food?

Very little if anything. This Saturday for me was full of nutrient sparse, calorie dense foods (no food is junk unless it's gone bad). I regret nothing (well, expect that it was a low protein day and I lifted the day before), the next day was my active rest day, so I didn't have any workout issues and it was a good evening spent with family.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Depends on you - it could be the sign of the apocalypse of giving up or it could be nothing.

I agree wholeheartedly. It all depends on you. I can't do it, though.

Sometimes a "cheat day" can be the beginning of the end of a period of healthy living. I've done this before too many times and I just don't go down that road anymore.
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I always think of it this way: Back when I was gaining weight and didn't think about calories or eating healthy, I ate junk food most of the time and kept up a steady gain. Occasionally I would eat under calories and healthier food. Those occasional days of healthy eating certainly didn't significantly impede my weight gain!

Conversely, now that I'm trying to lose and stay healthy, the occasional unhealthy, high-calorie day will not significantly impede my weight loss, as long as I'm mostly on track. :-)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you happy. If you want to eat junk food, do it!

Do what YOU want. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    One day?

Probabaly very little impact on yoru progress. You might have water retention for a while, and as you say, you'd probably feel sick.

This.

You can still lose weight eating 'junk' if you're in a calorie deficit.
  • mrsmoulton
    mrsmoulton Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I always end up doing better long term when I cut loose and up my calories every now and then. I guess my main question would be what are you eating that is leaving you wanting to take a day and eat like crazy? Maybe what you really need it to incorporate "normal" food into your regular days so you don't feel deprived?
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If you stay within you calorie goal will do no damage, however if you go over your calorie goal and depending by how much you could easily wipe out your deficit for the week.