Water, Water, Water

Options

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What are some tricks you have learned to get your water in for the day? I am trying to drink 12 glasses a day. I know it is important for weight loss, but I find it hard to get that many in and I get so tired of running to the bathroom every 5 minutes.

I drink a lot less than 12 glasses a day.

Unless someone is doing intense physical labor in the desert, they do not need 12 a day.

http://butterbeliever.com/8-reasons-not-to-drink-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    ONce you get into the habit of drinking a lot of water you don't go to the bathroom all the time. I have a weak bladder and take medication for it and used to not drink water because I really was going to the bathroom all the time. But now I drink between 8 and 12 glasses of water a day and I don't have a problem. I get up once during the night, but that's it. I burn off the 16 oz drink during workouts. and the rest gets used by my body.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    eventually you wont run to the bathroom every five minutes but it takes time for your body to adjust to the extra hydration.. i keep a bottle of water on me at all times especially in the car where i eat and drink without thinking .. its safe for me to have it otherwise ill go through a drivethru and get a diet soda . at my desk i have a glass of ice water sitting there because ill drink it just because its there . at night i keep a bottle of water on the nightstand and if i wake up i take a few chugs .. always have it with me when i work out too
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Love water, but it has got to be COLD. I keep half full water bottles in the freezer and fill the rest with water as needed so it is always cold. I don't drink much else anymore.... coffee of course and on rare occasion a diet coke. It is just an adjustment you either make or don't. When I looked at the calories in juices and such, I personally decided I would rather eat my calories than drink them....
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Besides filling up your stomach why is water important for weightloss? Just curious.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What are some tricks you have learned to get your water in for the day? I am trying to drink 12 glasses a day. I know it is important for weight loss, but I find it hard to get that many in and I get so tired of running to the bathroom every 5 minutes.

Why would you drink that much water? Trying for hyponatremia?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Besides filling up your stomach why is water important for weightloss? Just curious.

Good question.

http://www.npr.org/2008/04/03/89323934/five-myths-about-drinking-water
  • timeforme2014
    timeforme2014 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was told to drinking half of your body weight in water was the amount you need.
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I drink alkaline water

Your body need more than 10 glasses a day. Roughly you need to count half of your body weight in ounces of water to drink, just to maintain the daily need.

Alkaline water has really helped me to feel better and many issue I had (backpain, acid reflax) have disappeared
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I drink coffee, tea, soda, and milk. I also eat fruit. This is how my body gets its my hydration for the day.
  • LupaBC
    LupaBC Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I usually drink between 4 and 5 litres of water a day plus herbal and black tea and coffee. I have a bottle that holds about half a litre and I just got used to constantly keep drinking. But then my job at the moment makes me sweat a lot anyway so during the day I am constantly thirsty anyway and then I just keep drinking in the evening. I really like water and only have coke or other fizzy drinks very rarely
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Don't discount the amount of water you get in your food. Some go way over the top with what they drink, you really shouldn't be needing the bathroom several times an hour and the fact you do shows you've given your body more than it needs because it can't deal with it and needs to expel it. Being sensible, drinking at several points during the day and extra when it's hot or you're exercising should do the trick but chugging just for the sake of it seems a bit daft.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Good question.

http://www.npr.org/2008/04/03/89323934/five-myths-about-drinking-water

LOL I thought so. Thanks :)
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I went to Target and bought myself two of these:

http://www.target.com/p/contigo-autoseal-west-loop-stainless-travel-mug-with-open-access-lid-16-oz/-/A-11158651#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=contingo+thermos

I bought the 20oz. size, got two so I always have one clean, only use them for water. I hate drinking from plastic bottles (I swear AquaFina plastic bottles makes my mouth sting) and I hate drinking warm water. This solves both issues, keeps mah water nice and cold, even if I leave it sitting in the hot car for a few hours. Four of these a day equals 80oz. I also downloaded the free app "Waterlogged". You can enter how much you've had either by oz or volume or you can take a pic of your glass/container/bottle then just click on that to enter your amount. Easy, peasy, free (I have an ipod touch, don't know if it's available for android).

I notice a big difference in my energy level and skin tone when I don't drink enough water.
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    water bring you mineral, drain your body and irrigate your muscles, it is a critical component
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You need to have water near you to drink it... I have two 3 cup Contigo's in my fridge at home and at work... I try to have one with me or at my desk whenever possible. I refill with filtered water in both places.... I like it cold - that's why when I finish one - I refill and switch it with the one in the fridge. I will sometimes add lemon juice but usually drink it plain. At work - I tend to have my mind drift and want to go check my personal mail or MFP... I make myself take a couple of gulps before doing that... I usually drink between 10 and 14 cups a day... pee alot too - but alas - that's fine... your body gets used to it...
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I start my day by drinking 2 glasses of water the minute I get up. That sets me up for drinking more every day. I'm up to from 8 to 12 glasses a day. I also bought a Thermos water bottle that holds three glasses and you can move a dial to remind you what you've consumed.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I fill my bottle up from the machine at work 3 times a day (so 2.1ltrs of water), I sneak in an extra 10 squats every time I go to the toilet, so I can be upwards of 80 squats a day before I've even left work!!!
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I refill a litre bottle up and try get though it during the day, sipping it. I don't like iced cold water nor do I drink it if its in a glass for some reason! I peee loads though!

cant say I love water but im on a mission to drink it1
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I bought a 1.5 liter bottle of SmartWater and I refill it at our water cooler at work. I drink two of them every day while at work.

There is no magic number for water consumption. Lower you goal a bit and try for eight glasses a day. Let your body adjust to that and then ramp it up.

If your pee is light yellow/clear, then you are properly hydrated.