Childish Food Habits

Options
hrod215
hrod215 Posts: 163 Member
I'm a 30-something year old woman ready to get back into shape. I know what I need to do (exercise, cut portions, etc.) and I know what I should be eating (veggies, fruits, healthy grains, etc.) but I've got just one obstacle... some weird food habits. I have a giant aversion to mushy foods! I know this might seem ridiculous but I just can't separate the mental from the physical of eating something like rattatouille. Lord knows I try! But I look like an 8 year old picking through their veggies. What's funny is that it TASTES great but I have to psyche myself out before every forkful of food to get over the texture of the food. Anyone else have weird food aversions??? :sad:

Replies

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I will not let my food touch and I also eat one thing at a time. I have divided plates at home to assure that my food doesn't touch lol waitresses love me!
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite - I need all my food to be mushy. Unless it's something that's supposed to be crispy. But I prefer all my vegetables to have the crap cooked out of them. It just ruins the entire meal for me if the veggies aren't all the way cooked and some are still kind of firm and crispy. I HATE crunchy things in my mushy food. This is why I won't eat water chestnuts. They don't taste like anything so just why? What is their point? They are just being crunchy in my mushy food and I hate them for it.

For you, though, I suggest you don't cook your veggies quite as long if you don't want them mushy.
  • fatbegone85
    Options
    I can't eat white creamy stuff [insert dirty joke here]. It's a mental thing. I think Chicken Alfredo tastes great, but it took me years to even try it because of how disgusting it looks. Same with vanilla ice cream. If it melts too much, I'm done. I'll never psyche myself out enough to try clam chowder. NEVER.

I went to Olive Garden last week. My friend and I were doing the 2 for 25 deal and the only low cal entree they offered was the Shrimp Mazzaluna. You should have saw how I picked out the shrimp and the pasta. Trying to scoop off as much sauce as possible. It tasted good. But my mind won't let it be great :-/.

Edit: My aversion is not limited to sauces. I also dislike creamy-ish cheeses. When I make lasagna, I do so without the riccotta. I can only add Mozarella if there's a healthy dose of Cheddar to blend it in.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've never been fond of the texture of meat and even today I tend to buy my meat ground.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I struggled with yogurt- I Got around it by adding granola- the sloppy texture wasn't doing it for me- but with granola I had something to actually EAT- it worked. EVentually I found combinations of flavors and ways to make it- i can eat it pretty straight up now.

I can even force feed myself plain old greek thick yogurt with nothing in it- usually just 3-4 big bites to get some calories in me before a work out. But I still don't love it.

As for veggies- try steaming them- or roasting them. I'm a big fan of them that way.

And really if you honestly hate something- don't eat it. Life is too short to eat *kitten* you don't like.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I will not let my food touch and I also eat one thing at a time. I have divided plates at home to assure that my food doesn't touch lol waitresses love me!

This. I put all my sides in separate serving bowls to make sure nothing touches and none of the juices mix. Ew. I also eat all of one thing before moving on to the next. I also will not prepare a meal that has two things that are similar in color. Ex: I will NOT serve 2 green veggies, 2 yellow veggies, 2 starches, etc. in one meal.

We are all a little crazy :)
  • fatbegone85
    Options
    I'm the opposite - I need all my food to be mushy. Unless it's something that's supposed to be crispy. But I prefer all my vegetables to have the crap cooked out of them. It just ruins the entire meal for me if the veggies aren't all the way cooked and some are still kind of firm and crispy. I HATE crunchy things in my mushy food. This is why I won't eat water chestnuts. They don't taste like anything so just why? What is their point? They are just being crunchy in my mushy food and I hate them for it.

For you, though, I suggest you don't cook your veggies quite as long if you don't want them mushy.

Oh yes. I love soft veggies. Thoroughly cooked broccoli, celery, carrots, etc. Its easier to chew.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If mushy is your only obstacle you're doing pretty well. I have a friend that eats nothing but pizza, chicken tenders and French fries. As you can imagine, he could use a healthy dose of MFP. No need to eat mushy veggies though, just prepare them to your liking instead of forcing yourself to eat something that turns you off. Nothing will sabotage a healthy meal plan faster than unappetizing food.
  • chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Guess we are all a little crazy! I cannot eat or drink dairy that isn't fat free. I can tolerate 1% to an extent (meaning it is the absolute last resort)

When it comes to milk.. drinking whole milk is so heavy and thick to me. It is absolutely disgusting. Same goes for yogurt. I can tell the difference in a second.. the Starbucks people love when I bring my drink back and tell them it wasn't made with Non-Fat milk.. they look at me like I am crazy. (Which I am :laugh: )
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I like to dip my Dinosaur chicken nuggets in honey, and pretend they're stuck in a tar pit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I like to dip my Dinosaur chicken nuggets in honey, and pretend they're stuck in a tar pit.

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When I am eating french fries or potato chips, which is only a rare treat now, I always eat them in size order, smallest to largest. As for your veggies, I don't care for mushy veggies either, they have to have a bit of crunch so I steam mine. If you're the one cooking them then your the one who controls the mush factor.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I always eat the non marshmallow bits in cereal first, then eat the rest in groups of their respective colors.
  • hrod215
    Options

Love this! Thank you for sharing. This happens to me too when it comes to foods with sauces and non-sauce sides.
  • hrod215
    Options

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I literally laughed out loud when I read this!
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options

My wife and kids constantly tease me how I don't let my foods touch and eat one food at a time. It pretty much runs in my family. Many of us have this hangup. I can now use your post as proof that there's nothing wrong with me :)
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I can't eat mushrooms because I'm worried they're poisonous. And I don't like the texture. I'm a big texture person, if I don't like the texture of the food I won't eat it. Same goes for coconut.
  • hrod215
    Options
    When I am eating french fries or potato chips, which is only a rare treat now, I always eat them in size order, smallest to largest. As for your veggies, I don't care for mushy veggies either, they have to have a bit of crunch so I steam mine. If you're the one cooking them then your the one who controls the mush factor.

This is just a workweek struggle. It's hard enough finding healthy and nutritious in NYC while keeping a positive balance on your bank account but you can't always get things made to order unless you 'pay extra'. :huh:
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of food-texture issues, as well.

I don't enjoy pickles, olives, mushrooms, or raw tomatoes because the textures bother me so much. However, having the flavors of them, especially tomatoes, are things I enjoy.
  • hrod215
    Options
    Guess we are all a little crazy! I cannot eat or drink dairy that isn't fat free. I can tolerate 1% to an extent (meaning it is the absolute last resort)

When it comes to milk.. drinking whole milk is so heavy and thick to me. It is absolutely disgusting. Same goes for yogurt. I can tell the difference in a second.. the Starbucks people love when I bring my drink back and tell them it wasn't made with Non-Fat milk.. they look at me like I am crazy. (Which I am :laugh: )

I have a fitness pal at work that feels the same exact way! I'm sure she will get a kick out of knowing she isn't the only one. Thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou: