Adjusting Training to Avoid Injury

Options
I started to feel some knee pain for the first time running on Saturday, and after a rest day and a cross-training day (elliptical), I'm supposed to run tomorrow. Since I can still feel some tenderness in the knee, I'm wondering if I should avoid running until it feels perfectly well, or should I expect some twinges and keep going? I'm a bit of a newbie runner and older, so I may tend to be overly cautious. thoughts?

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I started to feel some knee pain for the first time running on Saturday, and after a rest day and a cross-training day (elliptical), I'm supposed to run tomorrow. Since I can still feel some tenderness in the knee, I'm wondering if I should avoid running until it feels perfectly well, or should I expect some twinges and keep going? I'm a bit of a newbie runner and older, so I may tend to be overly cautious. thoughts?
    Ease back into it.
    Go for a walk...fast walk...faster walk.....
    Pass that test then add in a little jogging. Still hurt?
    Rest more and just walk, and try again another day!

As far as perfectly well? You gotta listen to your body. If you are in tune with your body you can kinda tell if it is something you can push through or rest more.