Carb detox

Options

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are all referring to but this is a diet based on the carb backloading principle, not just a "fad diet". I know people who have done this type of fasting-detox diet and they've lost double-digit weight within a 2 week period. The principle being that carbs and sugar retain fats so by eliminating/reducing them this causes your metabolism to burn fats instead. I've actually done my research and read reports on this so it's not just a "oh hey i heard carbs were bad so i'll cut them out" thing.

And rice I'm keeping limited since I need some carbs because I work out 4-5 days a week, mostly cardio-based. So I want to keep some carbs in my system for energy expenditure while not wasting my glycogen resources.

And if you don't like that explanation, try another board. We're supposed to be supportive on these boards so try to understand first before condemning people.

"I fully support your endeavor"

*ETA - if this is a weight loss competition, soup and laxatives is the way to go. And that is not healthy, just as the competitions really aren't either, but if you wanna win, you gotta earn it.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    BTW, Sugary Lynx, most couches are just LOADED with carbs (and lots of fiber). ;0)

Rofl. Hey, as long as there's some fiber in there. Dust bunnies should be protein - rich, right?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You don't need to detox from carbs. And this coming from someone who tries to keep their net carbs under 30, or 20 if she can help it! If you're going to go low carb, it has to be a lifestyle change, not some crash "diet" for a contest. You'll only lose water weight and then gain it right back once you go back to normal.
  • melissaclaire93
    melissaclaire93 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Instead of a "fast", I would try the paleo diet if you want to "cut back carbs." The diet consists of natural carbs like fruit. You don't eat anything processed, no wheat, no legumes, and no dairy. BUt every body is different and reacts to things differently. I've never tried this carb fast, but good luck! (I love carbs so I would probably die, ha!)
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You don't need to detox from carbs. And this coming from someone who tries to keep their net carbs under 30, or 20 if she can help it! If you're going to go low carb, it has to be a lifestyle change, not some crash "diet" for a contest. You'll only lose water weight and then gain it right back once you go back to normal.

I'm doing this for an overall lifestyle change. I'm down 10 lbs in 6-7 week (1.5 lbs a week) and cutting out bad foods/portion control. This isn't a fad that I'm doing JUST for a contest (for all the other posters). I'm cutting out carbs for this diet based on feedback from people who've actually done it and from different resources but after the contest is over I'm going to continue my carb lifestyle. I guess at this point we can call it a low carb diet compared to a carb free diet.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Instead of a "fast", I would try the paleo diet if you want to "cut back carbs."

^this.

it worked for me in getting my body percentage slashed promptly.

Carbs have a place in every diet though - your going to get injured with strenuous exercise and no carbs.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are all referring to but this is a diet based on the carb backloading principle, not just a "fad diet". I know people who have done this type of fasting-detox diet and they've lost double-digit weight within a 2 week period. The principle being that carbs and sugar retain fats so by eliminating/reducing them this causes your metabolism to burn fats instead. I've actually done my research and read reports on this so it's not just a "oh hey i heard carbs were bad so i'll cut them out" thing.

And rice I'm keeping limited since I need some carbs because I work out 4-5 days a week, mostly cardio-based. So I want to keep some carbs in my system for energy expenditure while not wasting my glycogen resources.

And if you don't like that explanation, try another board. We're supposed to be supportive on these boards so try to understand first before condemning people.

Nutritional understanding = nonexistent. Sorry. Not quite sure where your going about obtaining your "research" from. An article from In Shape magazine doesn't qualify as research.
  • srv524
    Options
    Instead of a "fast", I would try the paleo diet if you want to "cut back carbs." The diet consists of natural carbs like fruit. You don't eat anything processed, no wheat, no legumes, and no dairy. BUt every body is different and reacts to things differently. I've never tried this carb fast, but good luck! (I love carbs so I would probably die, ha!)

I've read that Paleo is a good alternative/guideline to use for this type of low carb diet so I'm also taking ideas from that diet for my own. I took love carbs so it's going to be brutal...
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I guess at this point we can call it a low carb diet compared to a carb free diet.

well that is a big difference bro - I have cut out carbs 100% previously and it is not healthy to do as a lifestyle - now I have them in moderation and I feel much healthier.

a low carb diet is great for diabetes prevention as well - I say go for it.

find your golden mean
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

I've read that Paleo is a good alternative/guideline to use for this type of low carb diet so I'm also taking ideas from that diet for my own. I took love carbs so it's going to be brutal...

If you love carbs...what are your odds of keeping them low? Just asking in honesty. I mean, I aim to pick a way to diet that will be forever and you've stated you want to do this forever but love carbs...
  • srv524
    Options

Nutritional understanding = nonexistent. Sorry. Not quite sure where your going about obtaining your "research" from. An article from In Shape magazine doesn't qualify as research.

Thank you, random guy flexing arms whilst wearing underwear and taking a mirror pic. My research comes from ebooks with vast scientific research and medical journals.
  • srv524
    Options

If you love carbs...what are your odds of keeping them low? Just asking in honesty. I mean, I aim to pick a way to diet that will be forever and you've stated you want to do this forever but love carbs...

I want to go low carb until 7/11. After that, I'll implement carbs again but still maintain the healthier lifestyle that I've been using for my weight loss.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Here is some fundamental of nutrition
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html
    FTA:

" Excess dietary fat is directly stored as fat
    Excess dietary carbs increases carb oxidation, impairing fat oxidation; more of your daily fat intake is stored as fat
    Excess dietary protein increases protein oxidation, impairing fat oxidation; more of your daily fat intake is stored as fat

Got it? All three situations make you fat, just through different mechanisms. Fat is directly stored and carbs and protein cause you to store the fat you’re eating by decreasing fat oxidation."

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    My research comes from ebooks with vast scientific research and medical journals.

See above
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm shaking my head at you. What exactly is this "detox" going to accomplish?

Oh, and carbs are not the devil.

Rigger

No, but if you're changing your diet from a carb heavy one to one with more protein or fat (gotta fit those macros into the calories somehow), you probably will be affected.

I went from eating probably 300 grams of carbs a day to about 100-150. Protein went from 40 ish grams to 100-110 grams. I did feel like sh$t for about two weeks. I now feel better than ever, never get tired after eating, am leaner than ever, blah, blah, blah.

I don't have a lot of advice, except that it does get better. If I really struggled, which I did, I'd eat a banana or sweet potato.
  • srv524
    Options

Rigger

I don't have a lot of advice, except that it does get better. If I really struggled, which I did, I'd eat a banana or sweet potato.

or a sheet pizza for me
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

Rigger

No, but if you're changing your diet from a carb heavy one to one with more protein or fat (gotta fit those macros into the calories somehow), you probably will be affected.

I went from eating probably 300 grams of carbs a day to about 100-150. Protein went from 40 ish grams to 100-110 grams. I did feel like sh$t for about two weeks. I now feel better than ever, never get tired after eating, am leaner than ever, blah, blah, blah.

Right. I think macros are important but if you're hitting your protein and fat. What gives? I leaned out eating 250g of carbs a day. I eat 300g ish now during my bulk and have leaned out doing so. Meh.

It's more important to focus on overall sustainability. Obviously, you can function that way but I can't. Doesn't make one way better than the other. It's really just about doing what you can stick to long term. I need them carbs for my deadlifts and the things
  • Mandasmim
    Mandasmim Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I get what you are trying to do, Brandon. Just be aware that rice of any kind is nothing but carbs. Beans, although they contain a decent amount of protein, are primarily carbs. If you want to go low-carb to win your contest, you should stick with meats and veggies and forget the rice and beans. Good luck!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

I'm doing this for an overall lifestyle change. I'm down 10 lbs in 6-7 week (1.5 lbs a week) and cutting out bad foods/portion control. This isn't a fad that I'm doing JUST for a contest (for all the other posters). I'm cutting out carbs for this diet based on feedback from people who've actually done it and from different resources but after the contest is over I'm going to continue my carb lifestyle. I guess at this point we can call it a low carb diet compared to a carb free diet.

Thanks for the clarification. If you want to go low carb, you still don't really need to detox. Just do it. When I decided to go low carb, I gradually decreased my carbs and increased my fats. I would probably suggest doing that. Look up some low carb recipes and make some meals in bulk for the week and then just go from there.