Heart rate runs about 215

Options
So my heart rate when I workout on the treadmill or elliptical usually runs around 200-215 and ill be going so slow it keeps pausing. im 24 yrs old 175 pounds and im 4ft 11 I also have 3 kids no health issues that I know of and it happens every single time and I always drink tons of water. I'm currently waiting for a doctors apt but what do you think it could be and why is it always so high when I'm barely moving

Replies

• Happygirl4242
    Options
    I don't even know what the deal is what do you think the cardiologist will do?
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Do you measure with a heart rate monitor or with hand grips? Is it the same on different machines? If it is really THAT high than I would consult a doctor before continuing with exercise.
    They usually put you on a heart rate monitor and measure your heart rate over time. They might put you under a stress test.
    Stef.
  • Happygirl4242
    Options
    yeah its that high on every one I get on. My boyfriend didn't even believe me when I told him until he went with me one day and we were on the bicycles and I was going super slow and I was at like 210
  • Happygirl4242
    Options
    what's a stress test include and what is it?
  • Happygirl4242
    Options
    oh and it's the hand grips
  • Leggylass
    Leggylass Posts: 215
    Options
    Please do not exercise until you have seen your doctor and gotten the all clear from them. It could be just faulty hrm but better to be safe than sorry when you have little ones dependant on you too.

Ive had a similar problem and ive not been able to exercise for the past 6 months until i get the all clear from cardiology.

Good luck
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like you're going to pass out? If no, then you should get a HRM to see what your true heart rate is. If you feel like you're going to pass out or feel sick see a doctor ASAP. I dont trust the machines.

HRMs are way more accurate.
  • Happygirl4242
    Options
    sometimes I just get dizzy but most of the time I feel perfectly fine and I have no idea why it is. I'm waiting for the cardiologist to call me back to set the apt im sure scared of what it could be or whats wrong
  • Happygirl4242
    Options
    I just feel out of breath but im going to wait before exercising until I see the doctor but I wish I knew what was entitled in the stress test or whatever they are going to do
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Have you cross-checked the machines against your wrist or neck pulse? Or worn a chest strap monitor to see if you get the same result?

215 is a "heart beating out of your chest, about to pass out, world's going black" sort of pulse rate. Since you aren't describing those symptoms, I suspect there might be something about your body that fools the monitors on the machines.
  • Happygirl4242
    Options
    no never any of those I have tried other machines and they all read the same tho but guess ill find out when I go to the doc
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I remember when I first joined a gym, the machines would say my HR was up over 200. I was VERY out of shape. I would go to the gym, do my 10 minutes on the elliptical and then go home. Then, when 10 minutes was easy, I did 15 minutes.

Have you just started working out? I am glad to hear you are going to see a Dr. It is probably the inaccuracy of the machine's HR monitor.
  • Happygirl4242
    Options
    ive been working out a while but and totally into it now and have actually gotten into the good part of it where im not tired I can actually do the elliptical for like 20-30 mins and feel fine!
  • Happygirl4242
    Options
    when I first started I was happy to do 2 minutes lol
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'd be very curious to see what a cardiologist and a stress test show. This is odd.

My thought first was, way out of shape and pushing too hard paired with overestimation.

However, I'd like to see what an HRM reads over those machines. Some can be good, some can be bad, and sometimes there are issues with hydration that I've seen throw them off.

What is the count when you check your pulse on your neck?
  • Happygirl4242
    Options
    I dotn know never tried to check it
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    no never any of those I have tried other machines and they all read the same tho but guess ill find out when I go to the doc

Well, if you hit the gym before you hit the doc, you might try using the ol' Mark I finger-on-the-pulse thing. Work until you get that high rate on the machine, then pause and take a 10 second pulse count. If you're not getting a count in the 30's (215 is 35-36), then the machine is confused.
  • Happygirl4242
    Options
    okay cool thanks!!!!!!
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Pick up a Polar HT7 Bluetooth HRM and just go for a quick walk and she what your rate is. They are $49 at best buy and attach to the smartphone via Bluetooth.

210 says wicked high
  • Happygirl4242
    Options
    I may have to do that because the lady at the heart doc said I cant even be seen until july 29th wtf I may die before that if it's true lol