I'm doing it!!!! (Pics!)

Options
Geloza
Geloza Posts: 315 Member
Hello, first post but have been using My Fitness Pal on and off for years. Wanted to tell my story in hopes it might help someone else!

I have always struggled with my weight, even as a young adult. I am 5'3", 32 years old and married to the best man ever! I had my first child when I was just 16. My second child at 25 in 2007, which I then weighed up to around 180 lbs.

2db1ced3-93be-4c4c-ba9f-a98d9d6f4747.jpg

In Jan 2010, I tragically and unexpectedly lost my 10 year old son to a firearm accident. After he passed, over the next few months, I dropped 50 lbs from depression, heartache and stress alone - no dieting and exercise. It was the thinnest I had been in over 10 years. This was by far, the worst thing I had ever been through and it's still very hard. I was devastated but I lived on for my daughter and my husband, doing the best that I could.

2010.jpg

Naturally, all the weight went back on and then some very fast. Within, 8 months, my highest point became 203 lbs. I was still depressed, although I was hanging on. The guilt I carried from losing my boy was all I needed to stop caring and I let myself go, finding solace in fast food, soda and sweets. This is me at this point in my life, 2011-2014. The weight fluctuated between 180 - 203 for 3 years and I was miserable.

a119b3fa-8d11-4a14-8bc5-900b2a948f98.jpga26c3d84-3fe8-4144-9c0b-0c6f66359769.jpg44043f5b-7572-4fe6-a134-ccde555ba2b3.jpg

In January of this year, I didn't realize it yet but I started a journey that's been changing my life. There have been so many ups and downs but I haven't given up yet! It's hard, mentally more than physically for me but I have lost over 40 lbs and still going strong! As much as the lbs are dropping, I'm also losing a lot of the guilt and depression I have. I'm still not where I want to be but I'm soooo much happier now and I can only see it getting better!

c16a5887-1798-4b58-b4f8-6f9ce652483b.jpg354daf11-468e-454e-a34b-d7e0d519c915.jpgbaa4ebf0-d6d9-400a-be7c-628ebc6095fd.jpgdfd0ad8c-5e54-494e-963b-4991b1e57a90.jpg

Hopefully, my story can help someone else to persevere with their weight loss journey when they need encouragement. I'm so proud of myself for overcoming the endless mental battles in my mind, guilt and negativity in my life. My husband has been my biggest supporter and has loved me unconditionally through this all. I want to lose another 20 lbs and be at 140 lbs hopefully just in time for our 6th wedding anniversary this Sept.!!! :)

d1f0ca1a-3d27-4ba5-9dc3-7893f31d3505.jpg

Replies

• Geloza
    Options
    Hmmm, looks like I need to figure out how to add pics... >.< If anyone can help, that'd be great! Tried resizing and using all links from Photobucket but none are working!

Saw the help post so I'm working on it now lol
  • saraj9999
    saraj9999 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss and so glad that you are doing the HARD work of pulling yourself out of it for the sake of your daughter. Keep up the good work!
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Damnnnn! Way to go, your looking fantastic!!

Off topic, how do you guy post pictures on here?
  • Geloza
    Options
    Thank you a ton!
  • Geloza
    Options
    Damnnnn! Way to go, your looking fantastic!!

Off topic, how do you guy post pictures on here?

It was challenging lol but there is a post at the top of the Success Stories that explains a good way, the way I used.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1041112-need-help-adding-pictures-look-here-tutorial-with-pics

And thank you also! :)
  • Geloza
    Options
    So far, since January, got rid of 8 inches off my hips and 6 inches off my waist!! Can't wait to see 29 on the tape!!!
  • mandybear014
    mandybear014 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Great, great, weight loss! I admire your courage to share your story here on MFP. I couldn't even image going through something like that but you are the definition of how to bounce back. Congratulations on your hard work. :drinker:
  • Geloza
    Options
    Thank you so much. It's def made me a strong person and to become strong, one must first become weak. I want other people to know they also can have the same hope I have, hope for better days, no matter what you go through.

I miss my son and think about him every single day but time does still, inevitably, go on. I needed to make a choice.

MFP has helped me a ton too, even though I haven't used it consistently. Just now, I am starting to venture into the community side of it. Hoping for warm responses, understanding and acceptance while I'm here. We'll see how it plays out! So far, so good though. :smile:
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! Awesome!!! :) and you look so happy :)
  • Geloza
    Options
    You look wonderful! Awesome!!! :) and you look so happy :)

Thank you and I can say I am def happier than when I started. Not all the way there yet. It's easy to smile for the camera but real life is still a daily grind and can be really challenging sometimes. Surrounding myself with positive people helps a lot.
  • Geloza
    Options
    You also look great Cerakoala! And happy too :)
  • Koofers
    Koofers Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss, your story brought me to tears. You look beautiful and you've done an amazing job, congrats on your weight loss :)
  • sinistraltyger
    Options
    Great job on fighting through the depression! Keep going, Do this for yourself, for your body. We are all proud of your accomplishments! Keep working hard, and you will find your goal. Hugs to you and yours.
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So far, since January, got rid of 8 inches off my hips and 6 inches off my waist!! Can't wait to see 29 on the tape!!!

Congratulations on your weight loss. Your loss is unimaginable, I hope you continue to heal as you achieve your health and fitness goals!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Firstly, sorry to hear about the loss of your son and secondly congratulations on your weight loss! Amazing :flowerforyou:
  • christhenix
    christhenix Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hun, as a father I can not imagine losing a child in those circumstances, and my heart goes out to you.

You will never forget your son, or the tragedy of his passing, but you deserve to be happier and to be able to replace some of that guilt / grief with happier memories when you think of him.

What I do see is a brave woman on a new journey, and I hope you continue to be positive and reach your goals.

You are doing an awesome job, and long may it continue! xx
  • 2dare2dream
    2dare2dream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For me your story shows me how strong you are. Even with the loss of your beautiful boy you found the strength to carry on for your daughter and to make a better healthier life for yourself. It brings to mind the quote, "women are like teabags, you never know how strong they are till you dip them in hot water". And you ? well you let yourself mourn and got lost a little in that grief[unsurprisingly] , but then you took control, you made a choice and now you are here.
    I wish you well sweety on your journey, and applaud you on your journey so far.
  • Geloza
    Options
    Wow, thank u all for the kind words, it brought me to tears :heart:
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your loss, you look fabulous and I hope you have the strength to continue your weight loss journey
  • my2kin04
    my2kin04 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Im sorry for the loss of your son, I couldn't imagine the pain and heartbreak you've been through, just reading it makes me tear up.

It is so inspirational ( your weight loss story) and you should be very proud. Keep up the good work you look amazing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!