Help! I need to whittle my middle!

Options
Everything is firming and toning nicely except for my stomach! When I gained weight I gained it ALL around my mid section. I walk a minimum of 2 miles everyday, go to water aerobics twice a week and do the "Firm" DVD twice a week. I have heard bad things about doing sit ups. I'm not expecting a miracle here, just want to tone and firm up a bit and lose some inches. Any ideas??

Replies

• blueelephant1212
    blueelephant1212 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i am so with you! all my excess weight is at my stomach and chin.... so people actually ask me how much longer til i give birth. :explode: i think the only real way for us to lose it for good is aerobics and caloric intake. i think it's going to be a long, hard road but it'll be worth it!
  • hopewms
    Options
    I hate doing sit ups too. Too comfortable. I found a standing abs workout on Exercise TV that I love:
    http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/standing-abs-0369
  • caprica
    caprica Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have been up to my obese weight twice and down to my healthy weight twice and both times the tummy fat was the last to go. It is very hard to "shake".

I have talked to my personal trainer about it and he says sit ups will help tone you up, but a variety of core exercises (e.g. Plank, Swiss ball, pilates, etc) will help tone you better. However he says spot reduction is a myth. The most important thing is fat loss and you can maximize this by not exercising Hard when you are hungry. If you do you may end up in a catabolic state and you will burn muscle not fat. So a lite walk before breakfast will help burn fat, but pushing yourself as we tend to do with a DVD or a group exercise class on an empty stomach and you will burn muscle.
  • lefrance12
    Options
    I think everyone has that problem in the middle. "The hard to reach area" I have found that cardio is key. By this, I mean by changing it up. I have found results by crosstraining my cardio instead of doing one type. I run, sometimes bike, and elliptical. No set certain days. Random. I think due to the different muscles used at different times caused the hard weight to come off my mid section. I felt I was stuck for a long time.
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into taking cinnamon?? google it. It seems to be working for me.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Zumba! I find that I'm noticing a smaller waist.

And I can get a LOT deeper in my situps and obliques and such. A lot.