Beans / grains in a slow cooker

Options
Anyone else like cooking grains in a slow cooker? Lately, I'm obsessed. I've experimented with lentils, barley, buckwheat, and chick peas. I've tried adding herbs and tomatoes.

Anyone else doing this? Anyone know any simple recipes?

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    This has been mine lately..

Ingredients Edit and Save

Original recipe makes 8 servingsChange Servings
    3 cups dry great northern beans
    3 strips bacon diced, cooked
    3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 cups water
    1 onion, chopped
    3 carrots, chopped
    2 tablespoons favorite barbecue sauce

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

Place beans in a large bowl and cover with several inches of cool water; soak in refrigerator 8 hours to overnight. Drain and rinse.
    Place great northern beans, cooked ham, chicken broth, water, onion, carrots, bacon, garlic, black pepper, salt, in a slow cooker; stir to combine. Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours.Add barbecue sauce just before serving, stir well..
  • RunTheMountain
    Options
    That sounds really good. I want to start cooking meat. I was thinking about cooking some some flank steak or shank, with vegetables.

Do you always presoak beans? I haven't been doing that. I haven't cook black beans though.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good. I want to start cooking meat. I was thinking about cooking some some flank steak or shank, with vegetables.

Do you always presoak beans? I haven't been doing that. I haven't cook black beans though.

Yes, I soak them overnight and then drain and rinse. My grandma told me to always add 1/2 tsp of salt when you start this in the crockpot. It keeps the beans from exploding.. I know it sounds strange, but for some reason works.. Good luck..