High-fiber foods WITHOUT wheat/gluten??

Options
Hi everyone! Does anyone know of any good sources of fiber that don't involve wheat/gluten? I think I have some kind of wheat allergy, and it seems like all the good fiber stuff is all wheat! =( Any specific fruits or veggies, or anything else you guys know of?

Many thanks!!
-Justin

Replies

• HidyleDidyle
    Options
    Legumes are a great source of fibre and protein. Beans, chick peas, lentils...easy to cook with, and easy to spice up, and very, very good for you!
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Does anyone know of any good sources of fiber that don't involve wheat/gluten? I think I have some kind of wheat allergy, and it seems like all the good fiber stuff is all wheat! =( Any specific fruits or veggies, or anything else you guys know of?

Many thanks!!
    -Justin

Try this website - it has the various vegetables broken down into highest to lowest for fiber:
    http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2008/02/high-fiber-low-fiber-vegetables.html

Also, my daughter keeps telling me about miralax - tasteless, etc. I haven't tried it yet.

I love veggie burgers and when I am experiencing problems related to elimination - I will have a couple of them (without the bun) for supper - usually works to get me back on track. I prefer Morning Star brand - there are several different varieties - and they are low in calories.

Vickie
  • notmymom
    Options
    Quinoa is completely gluten fee and more than just a great source of fiber... check out www.quinoa365.com
  • lefrance12
    Options
    I eat 2fiber gummies in the morning and 2 in the afternoon by vitafusion gives me 10 points and the rest comes from the other foods I eat which attains my goal. Im just saying:glasses:
  • ladysvs
    Options
    Quinoa is only gluten free in certain forms. I have Celiac and according to the research that I have done, if you have it, try it in small quantities as 50% of people with Celiac react to Quinoa!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to wheat barley and rye and I find that dark green veggies give me LOTSA fiber infact all veggies have at least a little fiber and if you eat lots you'll get what you need. Apples are good (and better at waking you up than a cup of coffee) so are berries and bananas. Nuts and beans too!! :) lotsa fiber everywhere you just have to think outside the bread. :bigsmile:
  • ragh1961
    Options
    Quinoa is 100% gluten-free in it's raw form. There is some risks to gluten exposure with certain quinoa products such as flour and flakes as these products go through processing plants that may use machines for wheat products and quinoa products thus causing cross contamination. If you can verify that you are getting your quinoa products from factories that do not use the same machines to produce both quinoa products and grain products, you shouldn't have an adverse reaction to Quinoa in any form (raw, flour or flakes).
  • jdubs1201
    Options
    Thank you all for the great suggestions and resources =) SO helpful!