One dumb question, coming up!

Options
Does your BMR vary if you are hot or cold?

What I mean is, if you are sweating while doing nothing in 100 degree heat or you are freezing while doing nothing outside at 0 degrees..does your BMR change? Do you burn more during one or the other? Does shivering or sweating play a role?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The short answer is yes.
    Our bodies respond to temperature by sweating in the heat for example
    and protecting the core in the cold.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Very good question. Either cold or hot, while doing nothing, is going to produce a body reaction of trying to keep cool or warm. So beats me which one would be more of a fat burner, and or increase your bmr.

You're not going to try an experiment with that are you, haha?
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Very good question. Either cold or hot, while doing nothing, is going to produce a body reaction of trying to keep cool or warm. So beats me which one would be more of a fat burner, and or increase your bmr.

You're not going to try an experiment with that are you, haha?
    Im sitting here sweating and that just came to mind LOL
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Yes but not enough to warrant thinking about.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. I don't do BMRs.

But having lived in one of the U.S.'s Top 5 Worst Winter Weather cities and now living near the #1 Worst Summer Weather city (no coincidence!), I can say two things:

1. You tend to move as quickly as you can without slipping on the ice when it's 0 degrees. You tend to move slower in the heat/HUMIDITY.

2. It's much, much easier to be hot/humid than it is to be cold. Ten minutes in 0 degrees is more than enough, even with the LL Bean parka and the fluffy cotton mittens and boots. I can stay out for hours in the heat, if I must. Just give me some water.

If I had to guess (and it's just a guess), I'd think your body works much harder fighting 0 than it does fighting 100.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    I can't remember where, but I once read that if your were to do your workout outside in cold weather, you would burn more calories. So my guess also would be that doing nothing in cold weather would still burn more calories.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Yes but not enough to warrant thinking about.

:laugh: :blushing:
    that cracked me up entirely too much