Fat free, no sugar foods

Options
Are these foods at the grocery store labed "50% less fat", any healthier. Reading the back of package they always have more sugar and carbs then the original. For instance, I sampled some lays chips that are said to have less fat then the regular ones, but they have higher sodium and carbs, are they worth it?

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Nothing on its own is healthy or unhealthy. Like an apple for example is something that is considered "healthy" but if that alone were to comprise your diet, that would not be healthy. Your body also needs protein, fats, and other micronutrients to function properly. The best thing you can do is to focus on calories in vs out for weight loss and nutrients for health. Stuff that's labeled for weight loss are typically no different than other foods. Sugar Free, great if you have a medical condition. Same with fat free. I treat fats as a minimum.

Protein, Fats, carbs, and fiber all have their place in a healthy diet. Here's a good read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    like cucumbers, celery?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    What Lynx said.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    just my 2cent fat is not evil, fat is good you need fat, fat does not make you fat. Now if you are buying these because they have less calories than the full fat version and you need to fit it into your diary then fine, but please don't buy them just because they have less fat.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    "50% less fat" is not the same as "Fat free, no sugar." If I missed something, please help me out. :)

I don't know if they're less unhealthy that the full-fat version, but they aren't healthy.

Here's a nice How To for beginning healthy-eating people. :)

http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    50 % less fat only means its that much less than their regular product. So it could still mean a ton of fat. You still have to read lables and know what it is you are reading...