Blood Type Diets

Options
Has anyone tried going on the blood type diet? What was your experience with it?

I've been looking into it, and it seems like ever website has a different list of beneficial foods and food to avoid for each blood type. What is the best resource available?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Or you can just eat at a deficit or exercise.
    I know, your mind is blown right?
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I would suggest reading some scientific articles on the subject. Blood types emerged way to early in our genetic history to have anything to do with food(since they emerged hundreds of thousands of years ago before any of our ancestors migrated away to enjoy a diversity of food sources), but a whole lot to do with combating disease.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Yes, I looked into it, and the science just isn't behind it. It's basically a way to sell books and supplements.

Eating at a healthy deficit doesn't sell books, but it's still the method that has worked for the vast majority of people who successfully lost weight and kept it off, so I tend to go with that. Lots of science to back it up, too.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried going on the blood type diet? What was your experience with it?

I've been looking into it, and it seems like ever website has a different list of beneficial foods and food to avoid for each blood type. What is the best resource available?

that's a new one for me..never heard of it.
    off to google.
    stand by.:wink:
  • caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Sure, if your only goal is weight loss. I want to eat the kinds of foods my body needs to stay healthy, weight loss is secondary to health for me.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Sure, if your only goal is weight loss. I want to eat the kinds of foods my body needs to stay healthy, weight loss is secondary to health for me.

So you're saying someone with Type O blood would somehow benefit more from carrots than Type A- blooded person?

That sounds silly.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Those diets mostly focus on eating whole foods and small portions.
  • hookilau
    Options
    Womp.
    I can tell you for SURE that I would not thrive on the type O diet as my type is '2 Diabetes' :blushing:

It's an interesting concept though.

I know dietary advice can be confusing, but you are your best judge of what's good for your body. Try not to over think it :drinker:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

How do you know what kinds of foods your body needs? Did you get a list like the 10 commandments or something?
  • caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options

How do you know what kinds of foods your body needs? Did you get a list like the 10 commandments or something?

No, hence the question about the blood type diet... If I knew what foods would make me feel the best, I wouldn't need to ask about other people's experiences with particular diets.

According to the naturopath I went to see the other day I may be gluten intolerant, and he suggested that I take a look at the blood type diet (I'm type O - apparently type O's often can't handle gluten very well). I'd never even heard of the blood type diet and haven't seen anything in the way of scientific literature about it. So I thought I'd ask about other peoples experiences with it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What we are saying is that there is zero science about blood types.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

No, hence the question about the blood type diet... If I knew what foods would make me feel the best, I wouldn't need to ask about other people's experiences with particular diets.

According to the naturopath I went to see the other day I may be gluten intolerant, and he suggested that I take a look at the blood type diet (I'm type O - apparently type O's often can't handle gluten very well). I'd never even heard of the blood type diet and haven't seen anything in the way of scientific literature about it. So I thought I'd ask about other peoples experiences with it.

Wut?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options

Now that really is nonsense.

Most of the population is blood group O ( well, percentages vary between racial groups but majority of European ancestry people are blood group O) - yet nowhere near the majority are gluten intolerant.
    Common sense and simple maths tells you the statement that ' type O's often can't handle gluten' cannot be accurate.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Dang y'all givin this lady such a hard time, she's just looking for some input ya dig.

I'd heard about the blood type diets awhile back but never looked up what my blood type diet was. Guess I don't need to now that I know it's not even real!
  • jasneet12
    jasneet12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've done the Blood group diet with a dietician here in India for about 4 months; however i did not lose any weight.

At the start of the diet , it essentially was one particular food all day through. So if the day calls for potatoes; thats all I ate for the day; if it was oats; it was oats for breakfast, lunch and dinner and so on. The fluctuations in the body weight the next day helped us understand if that particular food was good for my body or not; particularly if it caused water retention or bloating. Subsequently it was combinations of "good" foods.

My only take away from the entire program was which foods suit me better; and which dont. I did not lose any significant weight.

I use that knowledge today to make better choices in my meals; but its only a deficit eating and regular exercise that has helped me lose weight. Eg: If i have to pick between chicken and fish; i pick fish because i digest it better than the chicken.

The blood group diet concept also fits into the Ayurveda body type diet; wherein your ayurvedic body dosha helps understand which foods your system digests better. At the end of the day; only knowledge about your body helps; and not diets.
  • elle2max
    elle2max Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I gave that diet a looksy ages ago, and decided to steer clear from it when I discovered I just so happen to be allergic (Epi-Pen carrier!) to the food it suggested I eat (seafood), even though it claims to help allergies. Doesn't help much if I'm in the morgue...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    OP,
    You might find interest in the book integrative nutrition. It goes thru a lot of various diets and helps you to develope your own process for finding foods that your body responds to best.
  • hookilau
    Options
    Now that I've had a couple of hours to think about it..to be fair, the ADA, FDA & a whole host of other diets had it wrong for me.
    I could kick myself for not having figured it out sooner, but T2D is a sneaky beast.

The sad thing is that even WITH this known pathology, the recommendations still haven't changed much :sick:

OP, you're young & generally, weight loss doesn't need to be complicated.

Exercise & a modest deficit are likely all that you need.

I would say that if you have a high instance of diabetes in your family, mother, father, siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents etc. Then you might need to watch your sugar & starch intake with more vigor than others.

If only the older folks in your family have had it, take notice but still, probably nothing to worry about. Additional issues caused by metabolic dysfunction include PCOS, & thyroid wackiness.

Outside of these things, which would have to be dealt with first, a deficit is still required to lose weight.

This puts you squarely back at the beginning: create a deficit with modest cut or exercise, preferably both. Look up TDEE and do the calculations. Good luck :drinker:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    What we are saying is that there is zero science about blood types.

This.