Not enough sugar in the morning?

Options
I have an ongoing issue with what feels like low blood sugar, typically a couple of hours after eating breakfast. I try to do a high protein breakfast with relatively little sugar (300 or so calories after 10-11 hours without eating). I like eggs with some cheese and salsa, sometimes on a whole wheat English muffin or tortilla wrap, or a black bean burger on a whole wheat sandwich thin, or sometimes a 6 oz. carton of Greek yogurt with whole grain toast. While I feel full for quite a while, I start to get the shakes and sweat within a couple of hours and feel like the only thing that will solve the problem is sugar -- pop or orange juice usually does the trick and I feel totally fine. I love orange juice, but hate the calories. I've tried using whole fruit (watermelon, cherries, berries) with breakfast to prevent the low-sugar feeling, but that doesn't seem to help. (BTW...I used to have caffeine with breakfast, but had the same feeling...I've pretty much eliminated caffeine from my diet and that seems to help quite a bit).

I have been told I am probably hypoglycemic, but if I can control it with my diet, there's no need to be tested. I once told my current doctor about the shaky/sweaty feeling and he said he'd love to test my blood sugar at that point -- unfortunately, the last thing I want to do when I feel that way is get in a car and drive to the doctor's office! This is not a problem I typically have at other times of the day unless I've been working really hard with not enough to eat -- understandable. Any thoughts??

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Sorry, honey, not what you want to hear ..... but you should see a doctor & get tested ..... best of luck to you !
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic. My dr did a 2-hr oral glucose tolerance test in the office.
    I get the shaky feeling about 2 hrs after breakfast if my protein isn't high enough. Your breakfasts do sound pretty good already but maybe increase the protein a bit more to see if that helps?
  • aforbes
    aforbes Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks -- Can you give me an idea of some of your breakfast options?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Go see a Doctor. If you don't know whats wrong how can you do anything about it? All you're doing now is guessing. It could be what your thinking but it could also be something totally different.