Just started lifting

So I'm pretty overweight for my height and I've just overhauled my diet and started lifting (NROLFW). I'm doing the program M/W/F and me and my partner usually go cycling on Sundays. I'm netting 1700 cal a day and I know I've lost weight this week which is great.

It's just this is the first time I've not "dieted" maxing 1200 and doing cardio cardio cardio. I know the weight will come off slowly and that's fine but I'm worried I'm not doing enough?? I don't want to get lazy. Should I do a moderate amount of cardio Tuesdays and Wednesdays or should I just trust this program for a while first?
(pretty much just answered my own question there)

Replies

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    No. Just rest. If you're already making good progress with your current routine, why do you feel the need to work out 6 days a week?

Hell I've lost 60lbs and all I do is lift 3x a week without any cardio whatsoever.
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    I found the worst thing about lifting was the water gain!

Best thing about it, wow does the tape measure really come into its own...

When I first started doing this, similar amounts of exercise to you, I worried about the same things, I want to lose slowly, give my body time to adjust (I have nightmares about loose skin:frown: ) The scales didn't move for ages, I moaned, stamped my foot but I knew in my heart all the figures added up, and then it just started moving and carried on moving at about 1.5lb a week. If it goes any higher I'll just up my calories, if it slows down I'll knock back 100 calls a day.

Yep you answered your own question, stick with it, see how it goes. Just tweak as you go until you're happy with what's happening each week.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    you've just started lifting, get through the first 2 stages of NROL4W - making sure to follow their advice and add weight each time you do the workout - and you will quickly get to the stage where doing anything extra will be problematic
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    So I'm pretty overweight for my height and I've just overhauled my diet and started lifting (NROLFW). I'm doing the program M/W/F and me and my partner usually go cycling on Sundays. I'm netting 1700 cal a day and I know I've lost weight this week which is great.

It's just this is the first time I've not "dieted" maxing 1200 and doing cardio cardio cardio. I know the weight will come off slowly and that's fine but I'm worried I'm not doing enough?? I don't want to get lazy. Should I do a moderate amount of cardio Tuesdays and Wednesdays or should I just trust this program for a while first?
    (pretty much just answered my own question there)

Hey, I started NROL4W two weeks ago. It has been so much fun! I can't believe how quickly I have been able to increase the weights. From what I have read that's pretty normal for newbies. Add me if you would like someone else who is new to this. Also, I don't know if you are aware of the NROL4W group, but I will leave this here if you would like to join. The ladies there have been really supportive. Whatever you choose, best of luck :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    I'd suggest seeing where you're at after a month. If you're not where you want to be I'd drop your calories a couple hundred rather than add more cardio.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    I found the worst thing about lifting was the water gain!

Best thing about it, wow does the tape measure really come into its own...

TRUE THAT!!

Ive been the same scale weight for the last 6 months but Ive dropped a pants size. So yeah, dont pay attention to the scale, its going to be all over the show now that you have started.

The tape measure is going to show you a whole new side to the story!

Good luck and ENJOY!
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    When I first started lifting, I did it in addition to my pretty serious cardio routine. I would get my lift in, then go right from there to a very difficult spinning class. But that was when I was new to lifting and doing relatively light weights. Today, there's no way I could do spinning after a lift, and probably not even the next day. I've had to give up a lot of my cardio in order to make progress with my lifting. Like you, I was scared at first, but I decided I didn't want to do it halfway, and then if it didn't work I wouldn't know if it's because I did it halfway.

You might feel like you want to do cardio now, but If you are doing your lifting right, pretty soon you will be lifting much heavier loads and you will truly need that next day to recover. Why not just stick with the lifting only for a few months and see where it gets you?
    What's the worst thing that can happen - you get a lot stronger but the scale doesn't move much?
  • I just finished stage 3 and I'm down from a 14 to a 10 pant size, 12 % body fat, 13.5 inches and... 2.5 pounds.

I did only the rules for the first 2 stages and then I started dragon boating. Keep with the rules. You'll do fine. Watch you measurements and not the scale. I have only JUST started losing weight. Trust the program. Watch your calories and your macros. and make sure your BMR is correct.

Keep it up!
  • VeLisaraptor13
    VeLisaraptor13 Posts: 20 Member
    Wow thanks guys I honestly didn't expect such a response!

You're all completely correct of course. I need to just trust the program and stop worrying about the scale right now.

I have taken some measurements so I'll take them again in a month so that should be exciting.

My upper body is sore today so I'm definitely needing the rest days!!

I hate cardio.. So it's all gravy really!
  • VeLisaraptor13
    VeLisaraptor13 Posts: 20 Member
    I just finished stage 3 and I'm down from a 14 to a 10 pant size, 12 % body fat, 13.5 inches and... 2.5 pounds.

I did only the rules for the first 2 stages and then I started dragon boating. Keep with the rules. You'll do fine. Watch you measurements and not the scale. I have only JUST started losing weight. Trust the program. Watch your calories and your macros. and make sure your BMR is correct.

Keep it up!

I'd love to lose that many inches well done!
    Macros are definitely the bit that'll take the most getting used to...