Hiit training

Options
My Facebook page is fully saturated with the hiit board lately. It looks interesting, but I was looking for opinions.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    In my four minute workout I feel like I have done more than a 20 minute slow steady cardio. It also takes longer to recover from. The ways to make weight loss easier is to figure out ways to burn more calories at rest. METABOLISM. HIIT and weight training are the two things that will do that.

I also do HIIT jump rope at levels that some MFP people thought I was bluffing til they saw my video.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Agree with everything mentioned above. Also want to add that if you're generally a cardio person, HIIT training can help your performance.

I love running but have been doing a lot of hiit runs, tabata and circuit workouts lately opposed to general steady state type runs and then during my steady run, managed to more than double my distance (albeit with a slightly slower speed) today.

Fitness levels and cardio are improving, waist going in and the calorie burns are awesome.

Try it, it's great.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Agree with everything mentioned above. Also want to add that if you're generally a cardio person, HIIT training can help your performance.

I love running but have been doing a lot of hiit runs, tabata and circuit workouts lately opposed to general steady state type runs and then during my steady run, managed to more than double my distance (albeit with a slightly slower speed) today.

Fitness levels and cardio are improving, waist going in and the calorie burns are awesome.

Try it, it's great.

Have you heard of cardio acceleration?
  • sabified
    Options

Have you heard of cardio acceleration?

No, I haven't...
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    You weight train and do cardio on your breaks.

For example I would do Bench 3 sets 30 sec jump rope for breaks. Then shoulder press repeat. Bicep curls repeat and skull crusher. NO break in between different workouts. It like a 30 minute workout leaving me drench in sweat and unable to lift my water bottle to my mouth sometimes.
  • TheVevina
    TheVevina Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hiit gets me more worked up than steady cardio does, and quicker too. I feel like my endurance improved more thanks to hiit because my hiit workouts are longer than my steady cardio ones - I think it's because that little rest/ easy interval is pure heaven and that keeps me going. Definitely try it out to see if it's for you~
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Hiit gets me more worked up than steady cardio does, and quicker too. I feel like my endurance improved more thanks to hiit because my hiit workouts are longer than my steady cardio ones - I think it's because that little rest/ easy interval is pure heaven and that keeps me going. Definitely try it out to see if it's for you~

How is your HIIT longer than your steady state cardio? That does not make sense.

It sounds like your workouts are just interval training. What are examples of your HIIT.
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options

How is your HIIT longer than your steady state cardio? That does not make sense.

It sounds like your workouts are just interval training. What are examples of your HIIT.

Good Question. HIITs can be a killer. I am interested in the cardio accelerationn thing though.
  • sabified
    Options
    You weight train and do cardio on your breaks.

For example I would do Bench 3 sets 30 sec jump rope for breaks. Then shoulder press repeat. Bicep curls repeat and skull crusher. NO break in between different workouts. It like a 30 minute workout leaving me drench in sweat and unable to lift my water bottle to my mouth sometimes.

Hmm I think the circuits I do are basically like this... but will do more research into it and see :) Thanks!
  • sabified
    Options

I think you could probably increase your intensity during your hard intervals... you should basically be almost dying by the end of 1 hard interval and then just up to where you can breathe again at the end of your easy... and repeat :)
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Good Question. HIITs can be a killer. I am interested in the cardio accelerationn thing though.

My HIIT is 4 minutes long and If I never trip on the jump rope I am sure it would be less.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    cardio acceleration I do not know why it is called that but its a mix of weight training and cardio workouts together so you get the benefits will no rest in between. If you would like I get give you a workout to try? Just give me a starting point on the weights side.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I typically do some form of cardio acceleration (twice a week), but when I travel for work, I do the 7 minute HIIT workout in my hotel room (usually for 4 loops)- that app is great for travel!
  • sabified
    Options
    My weight lifting is really weak... I'm using 8lb dumbbells :( Hoping to be able to up it to 12 by the end of the week. Otherwise I have an old universal gym which I could use. Gimme a few days I'll figure out what all the parts of it are.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I also have a Tabata app on my phone too. :smile: