Favorite T-giving/holiday Recipes???

Options
starchile
starchile Posts: 248 Member
So, the BF and I have been eating healthier (LF dairy/lean meats/brown grains/fruits/veggies) since mid September and we love it!! The only thing is Thanksgiving is coming up and that is my MOST FAVORITE meal of the year!!!!!

I would like to stay on track...but I'm feeling bummed that I will not get to have my standard fare...ok, besides turkey. lol.

Any suggestions? So far I'm thinking skinless turkey breast, mashed sweet potatoes, green beans...that's all I got!!!

HELP!!!

Replies

• ZeltaFrost
    Options
    a slice of pumpkin pie! wit thanks givin u always need a dessert but other then that maybe a roll?
  • xxPeppaxx
    xxPeppaxx Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    what about a low fat apple crisp made with oats for topping?
  • starchile
    Options
    Thanks Peppa and Zelta!! Although I DO have a sweet tooth, I'm going to stay away from sweets this year. I'm actually looking for side dish recipes...I'm going to miss cornbread stuffing, potato salad, macaroni and cheese....MMMMMmmmmmm, I'm getting jittery just thinking about it!!! lol
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    funny, I was just reading an article on low fat Thanksgiving side dishes.
    Here's the link http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/thanksgivin1/tp/Low-Fat-Holiday-Side-Dishes.htm

There's a recipe for a pumpkin pie smoothie on that site that is TO DIE FOR!!! (and low in cals AND actually tastes similar to pumpkin pie.)

Hope that helps!

:drinker:
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    It's one day!!! Eat the special things that happen once a year. Eat until you are full, have a bite of dessert. Enjoy your family and celebrate the holiday. The next day you go back to your healthy lifestyle. It's only one day.
  • blessedmomof8
    blessedmomof8 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Thanksgiving. I come from a family that is big on food. My plan is to enjoy my favorites but in small quantities. I am making some changes to make things lower fat and calorie. I don't want to be on the after side of Thanksgiving and feel deprived. One day will not harm my weightloss, but feeling like I missed out sets me up for a bad week/weekend.

And I love the sites and tips on healthy helps for Thanksgiving!
  • starchile
    Options
    Yeah, I definitely get the point and I don't want to deprive myself....that's no good!! but the thing is that we ENJOY eating healthier...I love the way I have more energy and just psychologically I'm happier when I eat better.

Also, I want to make this way of eating a LIFESTYLE and T-giving is a part of my life...I feel like there MUST be some yummy recipes out there, I just have to find them!

Thanks for all the input everyone!!!!! =-)
  • Sirenism
    Sirenism Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Spinach salad. Steamed green beans. Sweet Potato Biscuits. Fruit Salsa.

:)
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Consider mashed cauliflower as a substitute for regular mashed potatoes. There are recipes on this site if you do a keyword search, or google "fauxtatoes" for a good recipe. :) They'll be on our table as an option this year. (Still the regular mashed for others, but I'm good with these - they're awesome!)