Go see a Doctor - Just a thought

Options
_Zardoz_
_Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
If you have what could be a medical problem how about going to see the appropriate medical professional. Would you ask a random stranger in the street for medical advice? So why do people ask that of people on the Internet? Doctors spend a lot of time training so let them use all those years of training. Just a thought

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Agree. I have it all figured out though. As with many questions on MFP forums, people ask their question, anticipating a certain answer and getting violently upset when people disagree with them.

Examples:

"My hands and feet used to go to sleep when I ran too. It's nothing."

"I lost 200 pounds in 12m months and nothing bad happened to me."

"I do a cleanse every month and it always works for me!"

You see? Why ask a doctor, when people on an internet forum will tell you not to worry. Then, just stick your head back in the sand and all is well.

:laugh: sarcasm font disengaged :wink:
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. People on the internet don't know other peoples' medical histories and can't properly advise one way or another. If the primary doctor can't help then he or she should be able to give referrals to more qualified personnel. I know some people have issues with doctors but I sure as hell wouldn't retain my doctor if she wasn't helping me.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    If you didn't want to look at that lump on my *kitten*, all you had to do was say so.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    What? Professional medical advice? From a professional who actually studied medicine for several years instead of a wikipedia-learned neckbeard living in his mama's basement? Why would I want that? The doctor costs money, but advice on the internet is FREE!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-21751-1377620562-25.gif

(tongue planted firmly in cheek)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Agreed. It puzzles me why these people aren't calling a doctor, but rather are posting online looking for help. If they live in the USA, any hospital emergency room must see them, regardless of their inability to pay, and can not discriminate against race, religion, economical statuses and so on.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    If you live in the UK it's all free!! Although we have bodyguards (receptionist's) guarding the appointment book. :)
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    This is chronic on another forum I read. People pose some alarming question on the forum ("My ears are bleeding, any tips?" "I'm seeing double and can't feel my hands--has this ever happened to you?") rather than doing the sensible thing and getting professional help. I actually get even madder at people who post urgent problems with their pets. For god's sake, get off the internet and take your pet to the vet.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If it's not so serious, maybe they just want some quick reassurance that it's a normal thing that every one gets.
    If you live in the UK it's all free!! Although we have bodyguards (receptionist's) guarding the appointment book. :)

Exactly!
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    If you didn't want to look at that lump on my *kitten*, all you had to do was say so.
    0QNNPTt.gif
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Tell that to people that have insurance. Doctors = money I don't have.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

You forgot that the bodyguards are fully medically trained so they are the perfect people to tell you whether you actually need to see the doctor faster than sometime in the next 3 months.......not lol
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

You forgot that the bodyguards are fully medically trained so they are the perfect people to tell you whether you actually need to see the doctor faster than sometime in the next 3 months.......not lol

I rang up to get a home appointment for my Gran who was dying of cancer after asking the receptionist she ask if it was an emergency and couldn't we bring my gran to the sugery next week.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    This is chronic on another forum I read. People pose some alarming question on the forum ("My ears are bleeding, any tips?" "I'm seeing double and can't feel my hands--has this ever happened to you?") rather than doing the sensible thing and getting professional help. I actually get even madder at people who post urgent problems with their pets. For god's sake, get off the internet and take your pet to the vet.

"I broke a mirror and my dog ate some of the shards of glass--will he be ok?"

(ETA: How does that even happen?)

Legitimate question I saw on the internet once. I wanted to jump through my wifi and smack that person silly, then bring their poor animal to the vet for them. :noway:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The issue is, the ER doesn't always diagnose what's wrong. If I had gone to the ER (because they "can't turn me away") for my ankle pain, they would have stabilized it, probably given me some crutches, and told me to make an appointment with an orthopedic. Then what should I do? What if I can't afford that orthopedic trip? The x-rays, the MRIs, etc. That stuff adds up in a hurry. Heck, we had to pay almost $500 out of pocket for me to get a cortisone shot in my knee. And you know what I did before getting that shot? I talked to other runners here, described the pain, and they said "sound like IT band syndrome. Foam roll, ice, rest." You know what the doctor said when I finally went? It's IT band syndrome, keep resting, foam rolling, and icing, and here's a cortisone shot to help it along.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    0QNNPTt.gif

Lies.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options

"I broke a mirror and my dog ate some of the shards of glass--will he be ok?"

(ETA: How does that even happen?)

Legitimate question I saw on the internet once. I wanted to jump through my wifi and smack that person silly, then bring their poor animal to the vet for them. :noway:

??!!? I just can't with that level of idiocy. I would call Puppy Protective Services!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Who needs a doctor when you have 22-year old practitioners on the internet?
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The issue is, the ER doesn't always diagnose what's wrong. If I had gone to the ER (because they "can't turn me away") for my ankle pain, they would have stabilized it, probably given me some crutches, and told me to make an appointment with an orthopedic. Then what should I do? What if I can't afford that orthopedic trip? The x-rays, the MRIs, etc. That stuff adds up in a hurry. Heck, we had to pay almost $500 out of pocket for me to get a cortisone shot in my knee. And you know what I did before getting that shot? I talked to other runners here, described the pain, and they said "sound like IT band syndrome. Foam roll, ice, rest." You know what the doctor said when I finally went? It's IT band syndrome, keep resting, foam rolling, and icing, and here's a cortisone shot to help it along.

I got answers from here when I had heel pain. Now I'm pain free. I do agree that with serious issues you should see a dr.

I didn't ask about my shortness of breath, chest pain and swelling on here because clearly I needed to see the doctor. Which I did. He couldn't really tell me for certain what it was either. All my test were fine. He decided I had pushed myself too hard.

Doctors don't always know and yes, I do recommend anyone having medical problems to go to the doctor, but sometimes people here have pretty good advice.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Tell that to people that have insurance. Doctors = money I don't have.

I understand that and I've been there. However, if you're truly having a medical problem it's worth it to go to a doctor. It could be something very serious that will only get worse (and more expensive in the end) without treatment.