Tricep Dip Injury! :-/

Options
I tweaked my left shoulder pretty good doing tricep dips at the gym the other day. :grumble: :noway:

Range of motion is mostly normal but it hurts pretty good in the front of my shoulder.

I thought I'd spend the weekend stretching and trying to work out the kinks....
before running to the chiropractor to confirm if it's a skeletal thing or muscular.

Anybody have ideas about good stretches / exercises ??? Thanks! :flowerforyou: :love:

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Noooooo to chiropractor! Physiotherapy!!!!!!!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Ice/heat and take it easy. If it's not better with a couple/few days of rest go to a orthopedic doc. In the future- don't drop below parallell when doing dips. and GET WELL SOON! :flowerforyou:
  • lastraw
    Options
    Definitely a good physiotherapist is the way to go. Sounds like you have a tendon popping out of it's groove in the front of your shoulder. Good stretch is have someone hold in your rib cage from the side while you move your bent elbow across til your elbow lines up with your nose. Stop any exercise immediately if it hurts your shoulder and keep stretching until it resolves. Good luck! (I prefer tricep kickbacks or extensions to the dips.)
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    In response to lastraw (who is my mother! haha and did that stretch on me daily back when I swam competitively): you will feel that stretch in the back of your arm-think top of your triceps-ish and the front of your shoulder.

Lay on your back. Have somebody hold your shoulder blade in against your rib cage (could take a lot of force on their part) as you bend your elbow (elbow should point towards ceiling @ 90 degree arm angle). Gently use your other arm to pull your bent arm across your body while the other person keeps your shoulder blade IMOBILE against your body. Keep your bent arm directly above the area between your mouth and nose.

Enjoy the stretch :)
  • KarenWantsABikini
    Options
    Physio all the way ! I tore my adductor muscle and thought i would never get well. I thought rest would do it, 3 months went by, put off going to the physio, thinking that they are no good...Little did i know. I now have been seeing my physio for three weeks and almost back to normal ! Go to Physio !!! Yay PHYSIO
  • VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Okay because I didn't know what every one was talking about and had to look up Physiotherapy. They are talking about a Physical Therapist or PT. AND I agree with them. The Chiropractor is a great doctor but a Physical Therapist will show you how to work the muscles and stretch the muscles to HEAL them muscles. My PT is also a Chiro. I get the best, two in one.

Don't wait, I like the other lady waited 3 months thinking I would heal in time. wrong. dips were part of my left shoulder problem too. Good Luck! Vickie