Your favourite sandwich fillings

zenalasca
zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
I used to used sandwiches as a leftover tool, which was silly because 2 sandwiches often ended up being 700 calories (and for not much food. seems weird but it was something to do with the fact I was eating half a serving of something and putting the other half in the sandwiches, calling it a full serving). Since then I have realised that if you only have 1 sandwich but stack it high with healthy, tasty ingredients they can be a great lunch to take out during the day. I really enjoyed the following:

50 g smoked salmon, microwaved egg, fat free mayonnaise, lettuce
50 g champagne ham, ff mayonnaise, lite cheese slice, onion relish
50 g silverside, tomato, cucumber, cheese slice, dijonnaise
50 g turkey slices, cranberry sauce, lite camembert cheese, rocket/arugula

What are yours?

Replies

• Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    I like chicken, home made guacamole and jalapenos!!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,646 Member
    peanut butter with pumpkin butter.
  • missy5290
    missy5290 Posts: 68 Member

That sounds delicious.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member

That sounds delicious.

It really is. Also good if you add some sour cream and salsa, but I like to keep the cals lower seeing as avocados pack a calorie punch!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    All-natural peanut butter and strawberry jam

Black forest ham, pastrami, muenster, baby spinach, mayo and mustard

Grilled chicken breast and spicy guacamole

Grilled chicken breast, cream cheese and sundried roma tomatoes in olive oil

Grilled chicken breast, provolone, bacon, pesto
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Subway footlong on white bread with tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, pepper, salt, and oil!
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    I like chicken salad w/ cranberries or raisins and walnuts. I love hot Italian sausages, french dip sandwiches, roast beef topped with coleslaw, fried baloney w/ mayo, and cream cheese w/ walnuts. Oh, and roast beef w/ boursin cheese.

I know some of these aren't the healthiest (hi baloney!). I tweak what I can, but generally I like my sandwiches substantial so they'll hold me for a long time.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Spinach, chicken and cheese is my classic go to sandwich for on the go. But lately I can't think of anything better than scrambled egg on lightly toasted Warburton thins
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Mashed chickpeas with dill
    Dijon mustard
    Tomatoes
    Lettuce!

Yum~
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Avocado makes a sandwich for me!

I like tuna mixed with onions, celery and a little mayo sliced avocado on top and sprinkled with Cavenders seasoning.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    tuna, heinz salad cream, cider vinegar and spring onion (aka scallion) mixed together. Put on bread, then cheese, then tomato. Then another piece of bread.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    I've been on a hummus kick lately - so whole grain bread with hummus (sweet red pepper is my fav!), spinach & tomato, a little italian dressing and dijon mustard. Avocado would probably be a nice addition too... I find it a nice addition to most anything! :P
    I also like mashed chickpeas or tuna fish with just a little light mayo and avocado on whole grain bread.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Almost any Morningstar farms veggie pattie with garlic sandwich spread and a slice of onion or tomato.
    Ham, brie and carmelized onion.
    Egg, Canadian bacon and feta with a little tomato or spinach.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Garlic hummus, tuna, canned salmon, chicken, cheese, tomato, pickles (From this list, it's looking like I really like salt...), onions.

ETA: obviously not all at the same time, thought that sounds pretty delicious too. Hmm....

I also once made the following recipe as something different to try:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegetarian-Chickpea-Sandwich-Filling/

It needs some more spice added to it, if you ask me, but it's a great base for a sandwich filling otherwise! If I try making it again, I'll use garlic hummus on my bread as a condiment. I think that would add something nice to it.

I've never been vegetarian; I just really like chickpeas and lentils.
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Steak + homemade roasted peppers + mashed avocado+cheese
    Brie + onion marmalade
    Grilled cheese + fruit (dried cranberries, pear slices, etc)
    Pastrami +swiss+ mustard
  • tawnywest
    tawnywest Posts: 45 Member
    I just discovered you can make a delicious vegan filling by mashing up firm tofu, a tablespoon of garlic veganaise, chopped green onion and salt and pepper. Rolled up in lettuce leaves. It was really delicious and I'm not even vegan, just trying out new and different foods.
  • zenalasca
    peanut butter with pumpkin butter.

do yo make the pumpkin butter yourself? I imagine it is quite low in calories!!
  • nikir37
    nikir37 Posts: 27 Member
    ham, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, pepper, red onion and light honey & mustard dressing - yum yum :)
    love banana and peanut butter sandwiches too :P
  • _Stardust_
    _Stardust_ Posts: 124 Member
    Me. I'm the sandwich filling.

tumblr_n34nn7nv4U1qiu92zo1_500.gif

ETA: OP your sandwiches sound AMAZING
  • zenalasca
    Steak + homemade roasted peppers + mashed avocado+cheese
    Brie + onion marmalade
    Grilled cheese + fruit (dried cranberries, pear slices, etc)
    Pastrami +swiss+ mustard

These are interesting ideas and sound delicious!
  • zenalasca
    Me. I'm the sandwich filling.
    ETA: OP your sandwiches sound AMAZING

LOOOL. Thanks :)