Tightness in Front of Thigh (Rectus Fermoris???)

Options
2»

Replies

• missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am pretty syre this manifested from improper stretching and muscle imbalance
  • missdibs1
    Options
    Ok when I got home yesterday

i warmed up,stretched, exeercised, and then stretched some more (all of this post massage). No discomfort AT ALL during weights/hiits But, immediately after , wham tight "quad" again (hip flexor IDK) I am so perplexed!

and now today once again i feel this tightness when walking ONLY when walking if I deep BW squat I feel a slight pull/ sit and stand nothing / but walk = pull pull pull

what is this ????
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

i warmed up,stretched, exeercised, and then stretched some more (all of this post massage). No discomfort AT ALL during weights/hiits But, immediately after , wham tight "quad" again (hip flexor IDK) I am so perplexed!

and now today once again i feel this tightness when walking ONLY when walking if I deep BW squat I feel a slight pull/ sit and stand nothing / but walk = pull pull pull

what is this ????

I think you will need to take at least a week off from training, if not more, and just focus on stretching & mobility for now. I know it's hard, but you're not competing in anything (I'm assuming at least) so why push yourself into a spot that can make it worse. Train what you can train without pain and don't do things that cause you pain. If it doesn't get better, find a Sports Med doctor.

It's hard for me to tell exactly what's wrong, but refer to the list I provided before and work on that stuff, minus the back issue I guess. LOL. If you can without pain... work on your adductor, hamstring, and lower back strength instead of squatting for now. Do Agile 8 or Limber 11 (both Joe DeFranco) twice a day.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

what is this ????

I think you will need to take at least a week off from training, if not more, and just focus on stretching & mobility for now. I know it's hard, but you're not competing in anything (I'm assuming at least) so why push yourself into a spot that can make it worse. Train what you can train without pain and don't do things that cause you pain. If it doesn't get better, find a Sports Med doctor.

It's hard for me to tell exactly what's wrong, but refer to the list I provided before and work on that stuff, minus the back issue I guess. LOL. If you can without pain... work on your adductor, hamstring, and lower back strength instead of squatting for now. Do Agile 8 or Limber 11 (both Joe DeFranco) twice a day.

I don't know, I'm lifting and running right now and I'm pretty much just always tight, not painful, just tight. I've injured things before so I understand being cautious about this, but honestly muscle tightness has always just been a constant issue for me. I did my run this morning just fine, but by the time I got back home I was having to baby step from the car into the house because everything had cooled and locked up. I've just accepted that trigger point work and really good stretching has to be a part of my daily routine. Usually though once I warm everything back up the tightness backs off.

So OP, here's my question, are you experiencing this tightness at all times, or is it worse after you've been sitting or holding the same position for long periods? Does it get better after you've started using the muscle again and warming it up? If so, I would say that while you might want to back off your load a little to give your muscles more recovery time, you should be ok as long as you are warming up and stretching properly and making sure you are keeping plenty hydrated and watching your electrolyte intake (the electrolytes are actually a big issue for me in keeping my muscles from turning in to solid knots).
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

what is this ????

I don't know, I'm lifting and running right now and I'm pretty much just always tight, not painful, just tight. I've injured things before so I understand being cautious about this, but honestly muscle tightness has always just been a constant issue for me. I did my run this morning just fine, but by the time I got back home I was having to baby step from the car into the house because everything had cooled and locked up. I've just accepted that trigger point work and really good stretching has to be a part of my daily routine. Usually though once I warm everything back up the tightness backs off.

So OP, here's my question, are you experiencing this tightness at all times, or is it worse after you've been sitting or holding the same position for long periods? Does it get better after you've started using the muscle again and warming it up? If so, I would say that while you might want to back off your load a little to give your muscles more recovery time, you should be ok as long as you are warming up and stretching properly and making sure you are keeping plenty hydrated and watching your electrolyte intake (the electrolytes are actually a big issue for me in keeping my muscles from turning in to solid knots).

Here's the thing and most people don't realize this; is that when a muscle is tight it's not moving correctly. If a muscle isn't moving correctly then other muscles have to overcompensate for it. When this happens, you can put yourself into the "cumulative injury cycle" and you're just going to keep screwing yourself up until you stop and fix the problem. Meaning, not only will injury occur to the muscle that's already not right; she can injure other muscles as well. If she's experiencing pain, she might be there already. I'm assuming she's not a professional or Olympic athlete, so why not take the time away from what's causing a problem to fix it and train what she can train?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Here's the thing and most people don't realize this; is that when a muscle is tight it's not moving correctly. If a muscle isn't moving correctly then other muscles have to overcompensate for it. When this happens, you can put yourself into the "cumulative injury cycle" and you're just going to keep screwing yourself up until you stop and fix the problem. Meaning, not only will injury occur to the muscle that's already not right; she can injure other muscles as well. If she's experiencing pain, she might be there already. I'm assuming she's not a professional or Olympic athlete, so why not take the time away from what's causing a problem to fix it and train what she can train?

I understand this, what I'm saying is it wouldn't matter how much time I took off, as soon as I started training again, I would be tight again, but that's AFTER my workouts. I make damn sure I am not tight DURING my workouts.
  • missdibs1
    Options

what is this ????

Zero pain

No discomfort while exercising at all not a twinge

it is the day after I am super tight to the point I feel it when I walk

I will admit throughout the course of today I have felt it less (but I am busy working) lol
  • missdibs1
    Options
    Ok I will try and rest up this weekend

I will stretch and see what happens

Def getting the foam roller
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Ok I will try and rest up this weekend

I will stretch and see what happens

Def getting the foam roller

Good idea :) Your body definitely needs a chance to loosen up. If you can, do Agile 8 or Limber 11 twice each day and see how you feel Monday. :)
  • missdibs1
    Options
    Omg I love foam rolling. Love it!!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I have been squating heavier and deeper and also adding glute bridges (BW only since its new addition) Thus past week the top right from thigh of my right leg only is really tight and I feel it pulling even when I walk

Can someone please advise?

I tried a body weight squat last night and i could feel the same pull

You may have tight hip flexors as well as tight psoas muscles. Look those up and incorporate stretches every day. Foam roll those areas as well.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Omg I love foam rolling. Love it!!

I admit to having more of a love/hate relationship....:drinker:
  • missdibs1
    Options
    I also got a tiger tail and lacrosse ball lol