How many times a week to gym ?

doelani
doelani Posts: 35
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I have just strated goignt o gym this week and still getting to grips with machines and getting used to them.

Tuesday for induction then 10 minutes on treadmill and 10 on bike
Wednesday 1/2 hour talking to instructor to get program set up then 30 minutes on cardio and 2 circuits of strenght machines.
Thursday 55 minutes cardio and 3 circuits of strenght machines
friday 65 minutes cardio and 3 circuits of strenght machines

Now it has got to weekend and I have loads of free time I would like to go today again but wonder is it to much ? I am not doing the cardio to my max, being sensible and working it up slowly, If I do not go today I will just hand about the house and do nothing.

There will be weeks I will only be able to go maybe 3 times a week but feel I should go every day when I can.

Replies

• I would suggest going as often as you feel comfortable with. However keep taking it slow and easing your way into it. I go almost everyday. I generally do Sunday-Friday, and use Saturday as a rest day. You are however suppose to have a rest day just so that your body can recover
  • mykaar74
    mykaar74 Posts: 253
    agree with JPhantom
  • I would agree, but also add this suggestion... If you are going to go as much as 5 or 6 days a week, instead of doing both cardio and weight training in the same day, alternate it. One day do cardio, the next day do weights. That way, your body doesn't get used to doing the same thing everyday.
  • thanks guys , somethng to think about.

I may give it a miss today and go for nice long walk instead then go to gym tomorrow.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I would agree, but also add this suggestion... If you are going to go as much as 5 or 6 days a week, instead of doing both cardio and weight training in the same day, alternate it. One day do cardio, the next day do weights. That way, your body doesn't get used to doing the same thing everyday.

This.

I would do 3 days of cardio and 3 days of weight training alternating, then rest on the 7th day to let your muscles recuperate. Doing weights every other day lets your muscles rebuild and repair which takes at least 24 hours. Doing them everyday can actually slow muscle growth by hindering the repair process...and that means that you won't be building lean mass and possibly even keeping the same amount of body fat since you need lean mass to reduce body fat.
  • maurap26
    maurap26 Posts: 90 Member
    Right now I go to the gym 5 days a week. I want to start walking on one of the days I have off
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    I think it`s great you are motivated and doing the gym.
    i would alternate my work out-1 day cardio and 1 day wt training.I would also take a day off and take a walk or something like that.
    good luck!
    jane
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Pace yourself. 4 days/week at the most. I'm a (wannabe) bodybuilder who can bench press his body weight 12 times, and I still only go 4 days/week. Some of the strongest men/women in history trained 3 times/week.
  • thanks everyone, going to try 4 times a week and see how I get on . Did not go today jsut went for walk instead.
  • You go girl... keep up the good work. On your off days you can go to the gym but do something different from your routine, this way it will be beneficial due to it not being routine.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    I'm doing 6 days a week currently. But, my routine varies every day. I would definitely suggest taking at least one day off no matter how much you feel like going. Remember that working out is supplementary to your diet.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    I have had a personal trainer for the last year (once a week), and he always tells me to only go as often as I plan on maintaining once I've lost the weight. Of course, you can go more often in the beginning to get that boost - but he has seen it happen many times that people go 5 -6 days a week to lose the weight, then only 2 or 3 times after they've lost it all, and more often than not, they tend to regain (some of) the weight. He keeps reminding me that its better to go 3 - 4x a week, lose the weight a bit slower, but will be able to maintain the routine afterwards.

I am currently on a 4x a week w/2 different programs and weekends are my choice, but only endurance cardio (low - medium effort for 45 minutes instead of my usual intense intervals for 30 mins).
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    i only do weights every other day.

If i feel I must go to the gym on those alternate days I dont touch the weights and instead either swim, take a class such as step or spinning or just use the cardio machines.

I also try to get at least 1 complete rest day in to a) let my body recover and b) so i will continue to enjoy the gym and not hate going by turning it into a chore.
  • katmil
    katmil Posts: 31
    At the moment I'm going 3 times a week, with one those sessions being a class rather than just using the gym. To be honest I'd go more, it's just that the creche is going to cost me a fortune. My little girl starts nursery in January so I'll go 4 - 5 times a week then.
This discussion has been closed.